Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Listening to CDP, There is a starter and he is getting 75% of the snaps with the 1's. The other 25% is between the 2nd and 3rd QB's. Sounds like 4th isn't getting many snaps this week.

He said he's really excited to see this guy play on Saturday. Originally that told me it was probably one of the freshmen, mostly likely Gleason. Then he went on to talk about how much Graham had grown since last year and how he was now confident he could make the right throws and was making the right choices in practice this week. That tells me Graham is in Top 3, maybe Top 2.

I think competition is king and each of the four will continue to battle week-in, week-out.

First start, I'm sticking with Graham as the starter. I think the back-up could be any of the other three. Each of them could be characterized as having a specific package that best suits their game style. I think Yates and Gleason are probably more rounded based on the odd comment, so I'm going with Sims as the package guy.

But, who knows. I'm just happy to see GT Football, and hope whoever is out there is successful.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
I am going to restate this from an earlier post:

If Gleason gets the start, he needs to have been clearly the leader in practice. With two returning players from last year, including the starter, and a 4-star recruit with great reviews from his coach, to start a 3-star kid who is only slightly ahead would be a tricky message to convey internally. The team needs to buy in to this decision. CGC talks about the culture and that includes respecting the players.

I would argue that the culture is “competition is king”. Stars don’t matter when you hit the field. I’d worry more if it was an upperclassmen returning starter but in the case with graham, he started a little more than half the games in his redshirt freshman year. I’ve always been pro Gleason, but it is hard to to decipher the practice rumors. Gleason’s high school experience and coaching was supposed to have him more “college” ready. Gleason unfortunately had a tough senior year after skipping all the recruiting service camps, so his rank dropped on some sites. I’m hoping he proves to be that junior year QB which was an amazing year.

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
Other way around. Yates is too short to play behind our OL.
0D4F2411-FDF4-4DCA-8FFD-03E416EADED8.png

This was our starting oline in 98, whose height is comparable to our current oline. Hamilton is not 5-10 as the chart says but put up heisman contending numbers anyway. I’m not saying Yates will be joe, but height Should not be an issue. Pnut sounds like an college coed on tinder rather than a offensive coordinator when he made comments regarding Yates height. He could, instead; play call better.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 8943
This was our starting oline in 98, whose height is comparable to our current oline. Hamilton is not 5-10 as the chart says but put up heisman contending numbers anyway. I’m not saying Yates will be joe, but height Should not be an issue. Pnut sounds like an college coed on tinder rather than a offensive coordinator when he made comments regarding Yates height. He could, instead; play call better.
And Joe spent a lot of time moving in the pocket and outside if it to be able to see his receivers. Fridge adjusted the offense to suit him, then adjusted again to suit Goose. The difference is it wasn’t within the same season. Once again though play calling was the least of our problems last year.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
View attachment 8943
Reggie Ball wasnt any taller either. I know he wasnt a world beater but still a 4 year starter

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s strange to see such assurances that one particular QB is starting when we haven’t had any footage or real knowledge of who the coaches prefer. What evidence is there in support of a particular player? The only thing we have to go on is the QB play from last year and measurables.

CDP says so around the start of this presser

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Too many people sleeping on Yates man. Sims could be the guy and I would be thrilled but I don’t want to waste Yates if Sims isn’t ready.

Last edited:

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Once again though play calling was the least of our problems last year.
If play calling was the least of our problems people wouldn't have been calling for his head, but CDP made just as many terrible decisions as anyone else last year.

Random side note - I know this isn't the right place, but does anyone else have issues pressing enter or backspace on android when typing a reply? It constantly kicks me out of the text box, not sure if there is an underlying button in that area that also gets "pressed" or what, but super aggravating.

If play calling was the least of our problems people wouldn't have been calling for his head, but CDP made just as many terrible decisions as anyone else last year.

Random side note - I know this isn't the right place, but does anyone else have issues pressing enter or backspace on android when typing a reply? It constantly kicks me out of the text box, not sure if there is an underlying button in that area that also gets "pressed" or what, but super aggravating.

Have the same problem and found out it's a bug specific to Google Chrome. You can use another browser with no problem. Odd thing is that it doesn't happen on all sites with Chrome.

Jmonty71

Banned
I think Sims has the highest ceiling, but probably will not start. I think we will see 2 QBs switching in and out, but may see all 4, in the next game. With the new red shirt rules, we can play Sims for a couple of games and save him. Of course; I am not the GT coach, but I would be thinking long game, right now. We have a few pieces to get into place and coached up. I rather have Sims for when that happens, versus now. But, of course, just my opinion.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I think Sims has the highest ceiling, but probably will not start. I think we will see 2 QBs switching in and out, but may see all 4, in the next game. With the new red shirt rules, we can play Sims for a couple of games and save him. Of course; I am not the GT coach, but I would be thinking long game, right now. We have a few pieces to get into place and coached up. I rather have Sims for when that happens, versus now. But, of course, just my opinion.

Sims or Gleason could start all 11 and not lose freshman status anyway because of the waiver.

Jmonty71

Banned
Sims or Gleason could start all 11 and not lose freshman status anyway because of the waiver.
So, we wouldn't burn any red shirt statuses? I must of missed that. So, if that's the case... Play all 4... See who steps up and who doesn't. Why not???? Why not alternate who starts, this season? Graham has more experience, so give the first game to him.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ll go with Sims as starter. I’ve heard that from someone close to the program. Not sure on package but will go with Gleason. Agree with earlier post that ‘package’ doesn’t mean ‘wildcat/run focused.’ Not that TG can’t run. Also heard Graham was 4th and Gleason could start before end of season.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we will see 2 QBs switching in and out, but may see all 4, in the next game.
CDP literally said yesterday that they have named a starter internally and the plan is for him to play the whole game, unless he needs to come out to settle down or anything. He also said he has a game plan for the next guy up also in case the first one isn't working well, gets injured, etc.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My notes from the Coach P presser:

Graham making plays he could not make last year; performing at a very high level.
No one asked about Yates and P never mentioned him, if my notes are correct.
When talking about Billy Ward, P said they have a package for him, just like they do for the freshmen QBs.

Make of this whatever you wish.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
So, we wouldn't burn any red shirt statuses? I must of missed that. So, if that's the case... Play all 4... See who steps up and who doesn't. Why not???? Why not alternate who starts, this season? Graham has more experience, so give the first game to him.
Correct. Technically all seniors could return next year if they wanted to.