Starting QB next year.

vpjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
In last 11 years it's been feast or famine at gt qb. Loved byerly - still can see the pass to Smelter(??) in spring game.

The Perkins kid came from Arizona- 3 star. 855 rating.( maybe he passed a lot in hs) is a star in the making. He is in command , can pass, and when needed can run very effectively. He stops and throws darts.
We have so talented athletes at qb, so let's hope they are dart throwers like perkins.
Who is Perkins?

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
because of our prior O system, this is an open job going in to spring.....anyone could take it. There's not a body of work, at least from an in-game passing perspective, to know who will make us the most competitive. Also depends on what throws they will be asked to make...

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
I have no idea , but it will need to be a special QB with ice in his veins to have his first game at Death Valley.
NO DOUBT! While I think we do have a good stable of very gifted athletes in Oliver, Yates, Graham, Johnson...the idea of having Wimbush here for one year might be helpful. If not - I have no doubt that staff will have one of these guys ready to go. At least we will be a complete unknown going into the game....plays, tendencies, etc

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I hope GT can get a graduate transfer giving the other quarterbacks a year to learn Coach Patenaugh's offense
I don't think that's necessary. Remember, all of our QBs a shotgun spread in high school (the real high school offense) and aren't that far removed from it. And all of them were quite successful. I don't doubt that there will be a learning curve, but any transfer would face the same problem. Get the returning payers and Yates on the practice field and let the chips fall.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think that's necessary. Remember, all of our QBs a shotgun spread in high school (the real high school offense) and aren't that far removed from it. And all of them were quite successful. I don't doubt that there will be a learning curve, but any transfer would face the same problem. Get the returning payers and Yates on the practice field and let the chips fall.

This is more true than people think. As CPJ said, they're all athletes and they can adapt, and not one of them ran his spread offense in HS - they all ran shotgun stuff.

I spent a lot of time watching Temple's games during the holiday break and I came to two conclusions:
  1. Temple's QB play was really spotty this year; I think Coach Pat is going to really like working with Lucas and James (hope he gets his mind rite).
  2. I'm pretty sure he can and will adapt his schemes to the talent around him - and for that reason alone I don't think this is going to be as tough a transition as some think. If it makes some folks feel better, I found this nugget from their Maryland game this year:

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the game link. I must confess, the offense doesn't look very innovative to me. Now I'm no football expert, so take my observation with a bottle of salt. But it looks like every other RPO scheme I see everywhere. From an entertainment perspective, it's pretty dull, to be honest. If it wins then I'm fine with it and will be a huge cheerleader. But I don't see anything there that sends a thrill up my leg. Maybe someone on the board will start posting a bit of an education series on RPO's to help us see the little subtleties that make it fun to watch?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Oliver is a playmaker and winner, so I would not count him out of the equation at QB. Nevertheless he needs to be on the field getting touches.
Agree. The dude is a baller, the RPO could fit his skill set perfectly. Remember most passes in this O are short to medium throws. The reading and running parts are huge.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
One issue could be
And when running the rpo these guys were way better than the competition.
When my hs coaching son has strong for his age QB, the qb runs most, has off some, and passes little. In Second round of playoffs the qb made all the wrong reads.

BUT
I think we will be pretty good at qb by second half. If one of the QBs shows he can pass accurately when under pressure, I hope he is starter that learns the reads
This year sons team started new small QB and my end of year he was slinging it. Fun year

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is more true than people think. As CPJ said, they're all athletes and they can adapt, and not one of them ran his spread offense in HS - they all ran shotgun stuff.

I spent a lot of time watching Temple's games during the holiday break and I came to two conclusions:
  1. Temple's QB play was really spotty this year; I think Coach Pat is going to really like working with Lucas and James (hope he gets his mind rite).
  2. I'm pretty sure he can and will adapt his schemes to the talent around him - and for that reason alone I don't think this is going to be as tough a transition as some think. If it makes some folks feel better, I found this nugget from their Maryland game this year:

Nice to see the the fake 4th down punt, pass for a TD. Something we are very familiar with :)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Some are waiting to see what the new O will look like before getting excited. One of the reasons why I am hesitant:

Would it even be possible to NOT locate bad film on ANYBODY who coaches a team? unit? position? I think data must be evaluated from a sufficient sample size. Having said that, I don't look at film of potential coaches and/or recruits. I believe the guys making those decisions have way more knowledge and skin in the game than I do. So, I am trusting CGC in his hires, just as I did his predecessors. He has not given me any reason to doubt otherwise. Of course, I am like this by nature,,,when I had people working for me (especially ones I inherited or didn't directly hire myself), I always started off assuming the best about their abilities/intentions/etc. Of course, things didn't always pan out but I just found it easier to do business this way. I don't like to worry until it becomes necessary.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Would it even be possible to NOT locate bad film on ANYBODY who coaches a team? unit? position? I think data must be evaluated from a sufficient sample size. Having said that, I don't look at film of potential coaches and/or recruits. I believe the guys making those decisions have way more knowledge and skin in the game than I do. So, I am trusting CGC in his hires, just as I did his predecessors. He has not given me any reason to doubt otherwise. Of course, I am like this by nature,,,when I had people working for me (especially ones I inherited or didn't directly hire myself), I always started off assuming the best about their abilities/intentions/etc. Of course, things didn't always pan out but I just found it easier to do business this way. I don't like to worry until it becomes necessary.
Outside of NDSU, yes, it is difficult to find tape of coaches that lost to FCS schools. Even more difficult to find tape of a coach that lost to an FCS school and was hired by a larger school the same year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

While I am enthusiastic about the CGC hire, the Villanova loss was BAD. It's one thing when an FCS school like (formerly) App State, GaSo, or NDSU notches a win against an FBS school, but 'Nova was 5-6 this year. They weren't even a particularly good FCS school.

It was, however, the first game of the season, so plenty of time for an FCS team to outscheme an FBS foe that was overlooking them.

Overall, I'm in the he's my coach so I am going to support him camp.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Some are waiting to see what the new O will look like before getting excited. One of the reasons why I am hesitant:

Interesting that at the 17:25 mark, the commentators mentioned that Patenaude likes to integrate 3O with run and shoot principles. This sounds like someone that will leverage the talent he has to get the most out of them. We'll need to wait until the spring game to see what he plans for our team.