Starting QB in 3 years?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
When I watch that film I see what Vad could have been. They have very similar bodies, running styles, and throwing arms. This kid is big and strong with a long powerful stride. His throwing mechanics seem eerily similar. It just appears like this kid embraces running the option concepts that are a part of his program. These are highlights, so you won't see the bad reads, but his eyes seem to be in the right place and, despite some inconsistency, he has a better feel for the MESH than VL ever did. See, I feel Vad could have been very good for us. It wasn't his physical abilities holding him back. He looks like a good fit to me. He is not a blazer, but rather, one of those physical, pounding QBs who can throw a little and runs just fast enough.

Do those pitch pitches look like called double options to you? He gives up on the dive really quick. The reads might be a pre-snap read, but if that is the case he is the best option qb in the country.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
When I watch that film I see what Vad could have been. They have very similar bodies, running styles, and throwing arms. This kid is big and strong with a long powerful stride. His throwing mechanics seem eerily similar. It just appears like this kid embraces running the option concepts that are a part of his program. These are highlights, so you won't see the bad reads, but his eyes seem to be in the right place and, despite some inconsistency, he has a better feel for the MESH than VL ever did. See, I feel Vad could have been very good for us. It wasn't his physical abilities holding him back. He looks like a good fit to me. He is not a blazer, but rather, one of those physical, pounding QBs who can throw a little and runs just fast enough.

I don't think it's a matter of Vad wanting to embrace the running option element...afterall, the offense he'll be running at JMU is heavy on Urban Meyer's spread option and the run heavy Pistol offense that his OC is bringing (from Portland State...I think). I think it's more differences in philosophy between what Meyer's SO and CPJ's SO that Vad didn't embrace.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Why do people think that it was an aspect of the Spread Option that Vad didn't like? I agree he was tentative running, but also his passing accuracy got a lot worse in 2013. (Both statistically which I can prove and from what I saw which I can't prove.)

Isn't it more likely that Vad didn't like CPJ or something at GT?

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
it seems to be an overall majority agreement that VL was a great athlete and WAS a good fit @ Tech.
Maybe we should turn our attn to what the future looks like and let JT and TB know we are focused on them and not VL.
I for one am excited about our prospects and if this kid wants to be on a great team and get the best education along the way then let's do our best to make it happen.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Why do people think that it was an aspect of the Spread Option that Vad didn't like? I agree he was tentative running, but also his passing accuracy got a lot worse in 2013. (Both statistically which I can prove and from what I saw which I can't prove.)

Isn't it more likely that Vad didn't like CPJ or something at GT?

We'll have to take Vad's word for it. He did say in a pretty public interview that "the triple option isn't for me". I think Vad fell in love with the Run and Shoot aspects of our offense, and the potential of what the offense could be if fully developed in passing and running. Unfortunately for Vad, it seems like he didn't have faith in CPJ developing him as a passer. It's no secret that Vad spent a LOT of time working on the passing phase of his game with the multiple 7v7's and passing workouts during the offseason, plus spending a large sum of money twice to workout with George Whitfield in California. CPJ has said many times over and over that if our offense wanted to pass more, they would have to work on it away from official practices. I think Vad thought he did that, but CPJ still had to do what was best for the team. If GT fans are objective about it, CPJ did exactly that...our OL was attrocious last season, and our blocking on the perimeter was inconsistent at best. Now don't get me wrong, I think CPJ did try to take advantage of Vad's arm compared to Nesbitt and Tevin, but I don't think that was enough for Vad. All the parts were not there for CPJ to fully utilize Vad, and had Vad stayed CPJ might have given Vad what he wanted with the talent at other offensive positions increasing over the next few years.

We'll never know now.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with all that. What still has me wondering is that we run the TO maybe 1/8th the time. Vad knows that better than most.

And the passing game suffered as much from Vad's inaccuracy as not having time to throw. This year we seemed to catch more of the catchable balls than last year. Not as much as we should have caught, but still better. Godhigh, Smelter and maybe Waller combined to give us the best hands we have had since CJ. I agree that Vad put a lot of effort into the passing game; it was probably his regression in the passing game as much as anything that caused him to want to leave. The rest is just words.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
IMO, I believe someone who worked with Vad got into his head. Not anybody associated with Tech. I believe he did go to a Qb camp and also a private Qb coach. If I am wrong on some of this please feel free to set this opinion straight.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope you are right since it will mean we have gotten better. But I think you are more likely than not to be wrong based on the last four years.

It will all come down to the economics of generating revenue from fan interest. Right now there isn't a lot.

'Zactly. We are on our 3rd QB in three years, the offense is seen as behind the times, and so we sell tickets just to family, friends, and fans of the visiting team. This year or the next will mark the end of CPJ's tenure.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wow. The QB comment is new, but the other points are recycled.

1. Yes, we'll have 3 starting QB's in 3 years, but so what. I could probably name 30 teams that had 3 QB's in 3 years since 1990. That is very irrelevant.

You may be right about CPJ's tenure, but I doubt it. There is a vocal minority that saber-rattles and clambers for change every year because they're dissatisfied with the product on the field. Some people don't like CPJ. some people don't like his attitude. some people don't like his offense. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm certainly not coming after you for not liking him, his system, or whatever. But if you going after him, bring stronger points.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow. The QB comment is new, but the other points are recycled. .......... There is a vocal minority that saber-rattles and clambers for change every year because they're dissatisfied with the product on the field. .............

Everyone has their opinion about the amount of discontent in the GT fan base. You are probably right about a vocal minority. GT football being what it is leads me to think there is a detached majority that really doesn't care enough to complain. There are few CPJ vocal supporters. That's why I think the decision on CPJ will be based on ticket sales and fan base financial contributions to the Athletic Assn. It won't matter how we (myself included) pontificate on the boards about CPJ, money talks.

If CPJ doesn't get the enthusiasm back and butts in the seats, I think he is gone this year. The QB three years from now will be Roof's decision (ok, maybe a little assumption there ;)).

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree that there is a silent (mildly interested) majority and two opposed minority camps.

Personally, I don't care who coaches. I want the kids to be successful in the classroom and on the football field. I want them to be successful after school, as well. I'm not satisfied with mediocrity, and feel there is a way for GT to be HIGHLY competitive in football.

Is CPJ the right answer? He certainly is an answer. I wasn't a fan of 4 of the last 5 coaches hired. I went apoplectic when BL was hired. I can't even say his name under my breath without cursing. Wasn't a Chan fan from the beginning, either. Had less of an opinion of CPJ when he was hired, but had my apprehensions. With all that being said, I have felt much more confident we're headed in a winning direction with CPJ than I did with CCG.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Personally, I think the majority of fans and boosters are unhappy with CPJ's production at present. I think there is only a small majority that is overwhelmingly in love with PJ. However, I think the biggest majority of fans and boosters are satisfied with the fact that PJ was given this year to correct problems with the team and to have a good outing this year. It is a fair thing to do, and most understand it would have taken a lot of money to pay him off if we had not kept him this year. I do believe that the results of this year will have a big influence on both the fans and boosters regarding his tenure after this year.

I do think there is a minority to a medium amount of fans and boosters who are completely fed up with the triple option and want to see us go more to a spread or some system that will help our recruiting. I believe most of the fans and boosters will be satisfied to keep CPJ another year after this one if we have a good year. I also think most fans and boosters should think it a big mistake if his contract is extended further even if he has a good season. The wisdom would be to leave the contract in place and then give him another season to see if a good season this year is an anomoly.

Basically, I do not think it makes much difference in recruiting if a coach does not have an extension. Most recruits understand that all coaches can be fired at any time the seasons go downhill. If Saban was fired tomorrow, I doubt it would hurt their recruiting more than a player or two. Most of the recruits who have come to Tech wanted to be here regardless of the coach. Most either wanted to come here for the education, Atlanta atmosphere, close to home, etal.

The last thought is that there most likely will be a drop in season tickets sold this year because of the past couple of year results (frustration). If the team begins to win consistently through the first half of the year, there might be some increase in single ticket sales the rest of the year. If we have a real good year, then some of the season ticket holders will return if the next year seems promising. I will assure all that the deciding factors for any coach are the ticket sales and the team record, but I am being redundant on those two items. They go hand in hand.

I also know that if Tech were to start winning consistantly each year, then the stadium will be full. Winning is the key to full stadiums. Ask Duke how losing affects attendance. When Wallace Wade was their coach, they filled their stadium. When Spurrier was their coach, their attendance also increased. I expect it has increased some in the past few years.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I think the majority of fans and boosters are unhappy with CPJ's production at present. I think there is only a small majority that is overwhelmingly in love with PJ. However, I think the biggest majority of fans and boosters are satisfied with the fact that PJ was given this year to correct problems with the team and to have a good outing this year. It is a fair thing to do, and most understand it would have taken a lot of money to pay him off if we had not kept him this year. I do believe that the results of this year will have a big influence on both the fans and boosters regarding his tenure after this year.

I do think there is a minority to a medium amount of fans and boosters who are completely fed up with the triple option and want to see us go more to a spread or some system that will help our recruiting. I believe most of the fans and boosters will be satisfied to keep CPJ another year after this one if we have a good year. I also think most fans and boosters should think it a big mistake if his contract is extended further even if he has a good season. The wisdom would be to leave the contract in place and then give him another season to see if a good season this year is an anomoly.

Basically, I do not think it makes much difference in recruiting if a coach does not have an extension. Most recruits understand that all coaches can be fired at any time the seasons go downhill. If Saban was fired tomorrow, I doubt it would hurt their recruiting more than a player or two. Most of the recruits who have come to Tech wanted to be here regardless of the coach. Most either wanted to come here for the education, Atlanta atmosphere, close to home, etal.

The last thought is that there most likely will be a drop in season tickets sold this year because of the past couple of year results (frustration). If the team begins to win consistently through the first half of the year, there might be some increase in single ticket sales the rest of the year. If we have a real good year, then some of the season ticket holders will return if the next year seems promising. I will assure all that the deciding factors for any coach are the ticket sales and the team record, but I am being redundant on those two items. They go hand in hand.

I also know that if Tech were to start winning consistantly each year, then the stadium will be full. Winning is the key to full stadiums. Ask Duke how losing affects attendance. When Wallace Wade was their coach, they filled their stadium. When Spurrier was their coach, their attendance also increased. I expect it has increased some in the past few years.
You might want to consult a dictionary on the word majority.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I think there is only a small majority that is overwhelmingly in love with PJ. However, I think the biggest majority of fans and boosters are satisfied with the fact that PJ was given this year to correct problems with the team and to have a good outing this year.

I did not realize I had used the word majority in the first part of this sentence; it should have been the word minority.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CPJ and option haters for the sake of "keeping up our winning tradition" crack me up. You would think we have a football team that recently was constantly winning 9-10 games a year with regular 4 star recruiting averages. Then along came CPJ and only now do we have recruiting difficulties and a 7 average game wins per season.

I am not a CPJ lover or hater, although I admit I find the 3TO interesting. I do know he runs a program that has improved these kids getting an education, has improved his recruiting, and been in the "run" of most games till the 4th quarter.

I would say (without any data to back me up) a majority of fans want to win more than 7 games a season, want to beat Georgia, and want a any coach who can make this happen even if recent history is not on their side.

I personally want to give CPJ another 2 or 3 years to see his recent recruiting results. If anything, we are not winning less and we are graduating kids in a clean program.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Everyone has their opinion about the amount of discontent in the GT fan base. You are probably right about a vocal minority. GT football being what it is leads me to think there is a detached majority that really doesn't care enough to complain. There are few CPJ vocal supporters. That's why I think the decision on CPJ will be based on ticket sales and fan base financial contributions to the Athletic Assn. It won't matter how we (myself included) pontificate on the boards about CPJ, money talks.

If CPJ doesn't get the enthusiasm back and butts in the seats, I think he is gone this year. The QB three years from now will be Roof's decision (ok, maybe a little assumption there ;)).
The detached majority you speak of are not and never were a part of the fanbase. It's a product of GT's identity and the study body that comprise it. When nearly half your student body is foreign born, it's tough to cultivate a fanbase in American football.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the two most grossly incorrect terms on the board are "CPJ Haters" and "Triple Option Haters". Personally, I doubt if there is even one CPJ Hater among our fan base. This is a term used by those who do not want any discussion of the failures of CPJ at present. They try to intimidate those who have an opposite opinion of their's, in hopes these posters will not make any more posts regarding the failures of CPJ. They are wasting their time trying this intimidation factor.

I would also surmise that there would be very few that actually hate the Triple Option. The problem seems to be that the opposition's defenses have somewhat caught up with CPJ's verson of it and see a need to update it or go to another system. For instance, Auburn and a few others use the triple option, but use updated versions of it. In order for a system to continue to be effective, it must evolve by changing it when the defenses catch up with it. Again, the word hate in these opposing replies and posts is nothing more than an attempt at intimidation by a very loud minority of posters. Sorry, it wont work.

I would think that the vast majority of fans are hopeful that CPJ can have a good year and even win the National Championship. I doubt if there would be one Tech fan unhappy with the above suggested results this year.