Star Debate/Ratings thread

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
In addition to what I've already said, I also think there are times when a kid gets bumped up a star because of who he's committed to. Calvin Johnson would've been a concensus five star if he'd committed to u(sic)ga, and Chad Simmons' piccolo-playing *** knows it. That's another reason I don't trust star rankings. "Oh, this kid didn't commit to Alabama/FSU/Ohio State, he must not be any good."

... too much truth here.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
In addition to what I've already said, I also think there are times when a kid gets bumped up a star because of who he's committed to. Calvin Johnson would've been a concensus five star if he'd committed to u(sic)ga, and Chad Simmons' piccolo-playing *** knows it. That's another reason I don't trust star rankings. "Oh, this kid didn't commit to Alabama/FSU/Ohio State, he must not be any good."
Then you have the guys like Custis who iirc was a 3 star committed to US and the recruiting services couldn't keep him from gaining his 4th star. That's a true 4 star player IMO. He's going to be sick after a semester of what I assume has been focused on becoming a wrecking ball

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow

LOL

I agree, though. Not that there's necessarily intent behind those decisions, but the reality is that the people doing these ratings are humans with inherent biases. They are definitely not perfect.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Then you have the guys like Custis who iirc was a 3 star committed to US and the recruiting services couldn't keep him from gaining his 4th star. That's a true 4 star player IMO. He's going to be sick after a semester of what I assume has been focused on becoming a wrecking ball
I think that is Drew's point, right? He was upgraded because the factories went after him.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

IIRC Calvin was in fact a 5 Star and after committing to us fell to a 4 star.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea what this debate is about. The problem here is some of you star obsessed people don't seem to realize is we try to go after these highly rated guys, they just show little interest back.

I hope this wasn't directed towards me. I am definitely not obsessed with the star system. Just tried making a point.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
If I may jump into the discussion---I looked back at the Rivals star ratings for the GT classes 2009 - 2013.
2009 - 1 four star - JC Lanier
2010 - 5 four star - Ryan Ayers, BJ Bostic, Denzel McCoy, Anthony Williams & Louis Young
2011 - 1 four star - Jabari Hunt-Days
2012 - 2 four star - Francis Kallon & Justin Thomas
2013 - none

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
If I may jump into the discussion---I looked back at the Rivals star ratings for the GT classes 2009 - 2013.
2009 - 1 four star - JC Lanier
2010 - 5 four star - Ryan Ayers, BJ Bostic, Denzel McCoy, Anthony Williams & Louis Young
2011 - 1 four star - Jabari Hunt-Days
2012 - 2 four star - Francis Kallon & Justin Thomas
2013 - none

can you elaborate?

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Elaborate? I am not sure what to say. I simply listed the players GT signed with 4 star ratings per Rivals.
Draw your own conclusions. Both Rivals and the Tech staff thought the players were above average.
Some were and some were not as it turned out.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Elaborate? I am not sure what to say. I simply listed the players GT signed with 4 star ratings per Rivals.
Draw your own conclusions. Both Rivals and the Tech staff thought the players were above average.
Some were and some were not as it turned out.

Lol... the thread is on debate of stars and whether they matter... This is an open ended post on your part. I wasn't sure what point you were trying to make. I guess you were just posting it and you did not have a stance on the subject.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Here's something interesting to consider on one of our top recruits Step Durham

Stars CB ranking
Rivals: 4 #23
Scout: 3 #78
247 : 3 #32
ESPN: 4 #22

I think the CB ranking is more important than the actual stars. The question here is what happened with the Scout ranking? I'd say that one is an outlier, so considering that is he a 3* or 4* player? Important other info to know with the 247 rating, he is the 3rd highest ranked 3* player. For ESPN he is the top CB not in the ESPN 300. I'd be willing to bet there is little to no separation between Durham and the guys ranked right around him, 3 or 4 star. Stars are simply a measure to let us fans know how a coach MIGHT see a recruit. You always have to go with the actual coach's pick over a guy who is listed as a 4 star player by someone who isn't making their money coaching...

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
OK, here goes. The average national rankings of the last 5 recruiting classes per Rivals is UGA 10th nationally and GT 55th nationally. Based just on that, I predict UGA 55 to 10.

Regardless of what some think on here the rankings make a difference on the field. Eventually.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Dont see how you can say that when GSU lost two fumbles one on the GSU 15 and one at the UF 1 yard line.
I am saying that talent vs talent... GSU doesn't belong in the same sentence with UF. They won a game that they couldn't win again if they re-played it.

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
I am saying that talent vs talent... GSU doesn't belong in the same sentence with UF. They won a game that they couldn't win again if they re-played it.

Well if talent was the only that won FB games then why did GSU beat them on Sat??? *BREAKING NEWS UPDATE* There's more to a football game then how talented the teams are...