Stansbury and Collins Dismissed

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Some of you are acting like we are still living in 1995. In case you haven’t noticed the past 20 years everything is leaked. I knew Rihanna was performing at the Super Bowl before it was “announced“ because it was all over the internet. Every high profile hiring/firing is now known before the official announcement. Right now, any college football fan knows that Harsin is going to be fired. He knows it, we know it, the Auburn players know it. So when it happens is everyone going to act shocked?

And why is anyone bringing up players parents? Who cares about them. I have 2 kids at GT right now and GT doesn’t tell me squat or care what I think. Every GT player is an adult just like my kids. If C****** wanted to know the deal when his phone was blowing up on Sunday when the reports were coming out all he had to do was call his boss. He and the players are owed nothing. He was and is still getting paid to do a horrible job. The players got free admission into GT and everything paid for. Yet, they are the victims? Let them all leave if they want to throw away an incredible degree so they can play another few ball games at another school then fine by me. There are always another set of players who would love to play for GT.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There's a press conference at 11am introducing Key as the interim coach. Rumors are Cabrera and Neville will be there to speak as well.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Probably not. Transfers can now find any reason whatsoever to move on. Tennessee didn't get moving again until they cycled all of Butch Jones' recruits out. We live in a world now where the team will change annually. I don't think any team can delay decisions because a player might make a transfer decision.
I meant that some posters are going to attribute every single transfer to "the hill" being inept and screwing up the firing while some posters are going to bash every player who transfers as being lazy. I was only referencing the way posters on forums are going to act, not whether Collins should have been fired or should have been fired differently.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I think almost everyone knew, or suspected, that both would be canned on Monday. That's not wild speculation. That's deductive reasoning. My point is that I do not believe Tech intentionally leaked information in advance. Ken had his sources and reported what he understood to be true. But ... at the time Ken reported it, the act had NOT been done. So it was speculative on his part. Or at least a little.
Just playing semantics at this point. Cabrera knew what was going to happen before Monday morning.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I meant that some posters are going to attribute every single transfer to "the hill" being inept and screwing up the firing while some posters are going to bash every player who transfers as being lazy. I was only referencing the way posters on forums are going to act, not whether Collins should have been fired or should have been fired differently.
Agreed.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Agreed. There will be some who transfer because of this. There are a few who already had their minds made up prior to this. There will be some who make decisions based on playing time. Finally, a new coaching staff is likely going to convince a few more that their best opportunities are elsewhere. Not all transfers will be because of this, but some will most likely be directly tied to this.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Lot of speculation going on here about how it all went down.

All I know is the coach's presser at 11am is gonna be FIRE! (At least for GT football fans 🍿)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I highly doubt that Cabrera was Ken's source. Which means someone else leaked it.
I have said before that I am skeptical. I pretty much mean that to an extreme.

The fact that player meetings were canceled was something easy to find out. The fact that a BoT meeting was called was a matter of public knowledge that was easy to find out. Under the circumstances, those two things put together HIGHLY suggested that Colins was going to be fired.

Ken interpreted comments from "a person familiar with the situation". Not speaking poorly of Ken, but I prefer to see hard quotes and interpret what those quotes actually mean myself. We don't know who that source is, and we don't know what that source actually said.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Ken interpreted comments from "a person familiar with the situation". Not speaking poorly of Ken, but I prefer to see hard quotes and interpret what those quotes actually mean myself. We don't know who that source is, and we don't know what that source actually said.

We would all prefer a name attached, but that's not how sources work. Had Ken attached a name, he'd be right behind Collins in the unemployment line. Ultimately, Ken has someone in there feeding him information, and likely the GTAA is aware and allowing it to happen. Keeps and open relationship with the local paper of record that is useful for both parties. That's how it happens in most major markets.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Sugiura confirming that Collins had not been officially told and showed up for work Monday morning despite the news having leaked, leading to "confusion, uncertainty and perhaps aggravation among staff and players."
So, I’m trying to understand, and I confess that I have not been so deeply absorbed by this story so as to follow every detail, but it sounds like this.

Collins was to be told Monday as would be fairly typical procedure.

Meanwhile Ken breaks the story prior to Monday based on leaks or inside sources.

Then Ken writes another story about the firing being a done deal prior to Monday but nobody telling Collins.

Is that about right? And we are upset that people can’t keep confidential information confidential?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So, I’m trying to understand, and I confess that I have not been so deeply absorbed by this story so as to follow every detail, but it sounds like this.

Collins was to be told Monday as would be fairly typical procedure.

Meanwhile Ken breaks the story prior to Monday based on leaks or inside sources.

Then Ken writes another story about the firing being a done deal prior to Monday but nobody telling Collins.

Is that about right? And we are upset that people can’t keep confidential information confidential?

Nah, people are just finding something new to b!tch about. Our last source to b!tch about just got fired...on to the new thing. Keep up.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
We would all prefer a name attached, but that's not how sources work. Had Ken attached a name, he'd be right behind Collins in the unemployment line. Ultimately, Ken has someone in there feeding him information, and likely the GTAA is aware and allowing it to happen. Keeps and open relationship with the local paper of record that is useful for both parties. That's how it happens in most major markets.
I do understand that. I wasn't trying to say bad about Ken nor about the source. It is only that in my skeptical way of thinking, not having a name attached to the source is one strike in credibility. Only knowing how the reporter interpreted the statement and not knowing the actual statement word for word is another strike in credibility.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I do understand that. I wasn't trying to say bad about Ken nor about the source. It is only that in my skeptical way of thinking, not having a name attached to the source is one strike in credibility. Only knowing how the reporter interpreted the statement and not knowing the actual statement word for word is another strike in credibility.

Gotcha.