Stansbury added to Playoff Committee

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We eshould lobby him to push for expansion to at least 8 teams. Teams like GT or Oregon State or UCF will never make it in otherwise. Those teams deserve a shot. Think back to our last Orange Bowl team...that was a dangerous team that any playoff team would worry about facing. But it would never get an invite...

We only deserved a shot in 14 if we beat FSU and win the ACC. Close but no cigar. If we had I think we’d have been chosen...but that’s not definite.

I totally agree about the UCFs of the world and agree we need a 8 team playoff yesterday. Then see if 16 is needed.

Jmonty71

Banned
TS will fall subject to the NCAA pressure of making sure only teams that can bring the most profit will be in the playoffs. Until we get rid of conferences and place everyone into a win and in style, the corruption will continue. I know that sounds harsh. But, the NCAA is governed by money and nothing else.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
TS will fall subject to the NCAA pressure of making sure only teams that can bring the most profit will be in the playoffs. Until we get rid of conferences and place everyone into a win and in style, the corruption will continue. I know that sounds harsh. But, the NCAA is governed by money and nothing else.
....and in other news, the world is driven by money and sex.....story at 6....

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I sympathize with the present situation for FBS playoffs. There's an existing bowl structure in place and going to 8 or 16 teams would mean a longer season. Further, I don't think we need to do more to increase the footprint of football on college campuses. But …

I also think the present system isn't a fair way to pick the MNC. Even an 8 team playoff (probably the max, imho) would be much better and allow more good teams from non-P5 conferences a chance to show what they're worth. The extra 3 or 4 weeks wouldn't be that big a stretch to the season and a lottery for which existing bowl games get to host the games would keep them happy. The other God-alone-knows-how-many bowls will go on undisturbed. Finally, while I would like to see college football relegated to a more appropriate role in our educational system, I don't think it's very likely for the medium term. Sooooooo … an 8 team playoff for me.

Milwaukee

Banned
We eshould lobby him to push for expansion to at least 8 teams. Teams like GT or Oregon State or UCF will never make it in otherwise. Those teams deserve a shot. Think back to our last Orange Bowl team...that was a dangerous team that any playoff team would worry about facing. But it would never get an invite...

We lost our playoff game vs FSU in the ACC title game that year. If we'd won that game we'd have a case, but we didn't so we don't.

Milwaukee

Banned
We only deserved a shot in 14 if we beat FSU and win the ACC. Close but no cigar. If we had I think we’d have been chosen...but that’s not definite.

I totally agree about the UCFs of the world and agree we need a 8 team playoff yesterday. Then see if 16 is needed.

Beat me to it.

Had we beaten FSU we needed 2 more dominos to fall (can't remember the teams but I believe we needed Big12 and Big10 outcomes to land a certain way that day as well as us winning). We'd certainly have been very close.

gtsucks

Jolly Good Fellow
They chose Stansbury because they needed a guy who would never need to recuse himself.

In other news, expanding to a 16 team playoff is way too many. 8 is arguable, but if you finished the regular season ranked outside the top ten then you have no business playing for a natty. I like it at 4 as that creates a little bit of drama as to what conference will get left out. People can b*tch about conference champs getting left out and non-conference champs getting in, but the committee never said that was a requirement. Only that it was on factor among many and the circumstances vary from year to year. A conference title might be the deciding factor one year (2014 Ohio State vs TCU/Baylor) and then another year it might come down to W-L and SOS (2015 Ohio State, 2017 Alabama). Imagine if conference champs got an automatic bid and a team like 2017 Stanford (9-3) won the PAC. Do they really deserve a spot at the table? They lost to San Diego State for crying out loud. Expansion only weakens the prestige if getting in and makes the regular season games less exciting.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
They chose Stansbury because they needed a guy who would never need to recuse himself.

In other news, expanding to a 16 team playoff is way too many. 8 is arguable, but if you finished the regular season ranked outside the top ten then you have no business playing for a natty. I like it at 4 as that creates a little bit of drama as to what conference will get left out. People can b*tch about conference champs getting left out and non-conference champs getting in, but the committee never said that was a requirement. Only that it was on factor among many and the circumstances vary from year to year. A conference title might be the deciding factor one year (2014 Ohio State vs TCU/Baylor) and then another year it might come down to W-L and SOS (2015 Ohio State, 2017 Alabama). Imagine if conference champs got an automatic bid and a team like 2017 Stanford (9-3) won the PAC. Do they really deserve a spot at the table? They lost to San Diego State for crying out loud. Expansion only weakens the prestige if getting in and makes the regular season games less exciting.
I don't really think 16 teams is too many.............................just my opinion;)

gtsucks

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't really think 16 teams is too many.............................just my opinion;)

It would be enjoyable to watch, but I think it would require removing a game from the regular season. And as I said, 11-16 probably have no business being in a national title discussion. If a team wants in that bad then they should just schedule a good OOC opponent, win their CCG, and finish with 1 or no losses. Easy, right?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It would be enjoyable to watch, but I think it would require removing a game from the regular season. And as I said, 11-16 probably have no business being in a national title discussion. If a team wants in that bad then they should just schedule a good OOC opponent, win their CCG, and finish with 1 or no losses. Easy, right?

Not so easy when the cowards of the P5s refuse to schedule tough non P5 opponents. Thus allowing the P5 to shut them out of consideration.

Can’t say UCF had no business being considered after the fact. They were unbeaten and trampled Auburn in their bowl (the one team with wins over both natty game participants).

gtsucks

Jolly Good Fellow
Not so easy when the cowards of the P5s refuse to schedule tough non P5 opponents. Thus allowing the P5 to shut them out of consideration.

Can’t say UCF had no business being considered after the fact. They were unbeaten and trampled Auburn in their bowl (the one team with wins over both natty game participants).

That's up to the AD of the schools to fix. However, most of them aren't going to schedule a home-and-home or neutral site game with a another P5 team and then do the same with a Go5 team like UCF, South Florida, or Memphis that will also likely demand a home-and-home set up. That's giving up too many home games and the money to be made from them by both the school and the city.

And in regards to UCF, have you seen their schedule? Their best win was probably Memphis. Not a playoff worthy schedule. It's not the committee's duty to worry about why UCF or other Go5 schools can't get good teams on their schedule. They can only look at the games that have been played. And that Auburn team that they beat also had three losses. Should UCF have been ranked a little higher? Probably. Still not a playoff team.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
That's up to the AD of the schools to fix. However, most of them aren't going to schedule a home-and-home or neutral site game with a another P5 team and then do the same with a Go5 team like UCF, South Florida, or Memphis that will also likely demand a home-and-home set up. That's giving up too many home games and the money to be made from them by both the school and the city.

And in regards to UCF, have you seen their schedule? Their best win was probably Memphis. Not a playoff worthy schedule. It's not the committee's duty to worry about why UCF or other Go5 schools can't get good teams on their schedule. They can only look at the games that have been played. And that Auburn team that they beat also had three losses. Should UCF have been ranked a little higher? Probably. Still not a playoff team.

Thanks for making my point further.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I respect that and still stand by my opinion that UCF wasn't playoff worthy. Whatever the reason may be, they didn't have the schedule needed to get in.

Prior to the playoffs and bowls I wouldn’t have voted them into a 4 team playoff either. I also wouldn’t have written their chances off against OK, Clem, UGA, or Bama. They had an argument.

All of which gives strong argument for the benefit of expanding to an 8 team playoff.

gtsucks

Jolly Good Fellow
Prior to the playoffs and bowls I wouldn’t have voted them into a 4 team playoff either. I also wouldn’t have written their chances off against OK, Clem, UGA, or Bama. They had an argument.

All of which gives strong argument for the benefit of expanding to an 8 team playoff.

Several different teams aside from the playoff teams had an argument (Ohio State, Wisconsin, USC). It'd make for a pretty boring season and weak playoff field if that weren't the case. But that's what makes the current set up entertaining. The playoffs are for elite teams, not very good teams. Expanding to 8 would include some of the good but not elite teams. For example, Ohio State could be considered elite and possibly even Wisconsin, but some of the other teams that would've gotten in if there were 8 (USC, Miami, Penn State) fall in the very good category. It's up to the committee to decide who is elite and who is good. They seem to have gotten it right so far.

But 8 is at least arguable. 16, as I've seen suggested by several, is just idiotic.