Staff Changes

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
What I'm betting on is Collins gave thacker two options.
Either take the demotion or he's gone. Thacker really likes GT and likely wanted to stay in some role. This isn't unheard of.

Coach Pat on the other hand will likely go back to the FCS level , he would be fine there

Agree to disagree, but Collins is making fixes and if it doesn't work he's likely gone next year.

It's not like a new HC is going to suddenly turn things around for next season anyways.

Though the only thing I can say is that your frustrations are pretty similar to the test of the fan base right now. So it's on Collins to rebuild that trust . I hope he succeeds for one .
Of course, I want him to succeed too, WV, but his culture crap is part of the problem, and I don't think he is fixing that side of the equation. There has to be a balance to it, but sometimes the butt chewings that Saban or other successful coaches give is needed. This is even more true at a school that recruits below the top 20.

Do you know 100% for sure he is demoting Thacker? I have not seen that verified. Thanks.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Which implies it would have to be a big name if it’s not someone we don’t know. The vast majority of fans don’t have a clue who the best team’s coordinators are, much less candidates for our job. And you didn’t answer my question, who are candidates for our job that you’ve heard of?
First you don't like me cause I dislike CGC good I don't care. if I knew who they would be I would have said, did I say ?. I have not heard anything other than what is on here which is people guessing. So let me piss you off more it doesn't matter who it is as long as CGC is here unless he lets them run the offense and defense.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
First you don't like me cause I dislike CGC good I don't care. if I knew who they would be I would have said, did I say ?. I have not heard anything other than what is on here which is people guessing. So let me piss you off more it doesn't matter who it is as long as CGC is here unless he lets them run the offense and defense.
I literally don’t care whether or not you give a **** about CGC. I advocated for his firing earlier in the year. But you keep making the same post over and over and over and over again. “Whoever we hire will be someone we’ve never heard of.” What do you want them to do? Hire Lincoln Riley as OC? It just gets old.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Many keep talking about a "1-year experiment." Collins has 4 years left on his contract. He's not going anywhere next year if there's any type of w/l progress. So, it's at least a 2-year experiment, maybe more. Besides, I'm not convinced 7 years is enough for a P5 OC job, even if it's Tech.

It's not a foregone conclusion that we will win enough next year to keep him. I guess it depends on the required wins threshold. It may be as low as 5, but I think if Collins doesn't get GT bowling next year he's gone.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It’s a performance driven industry. Based on the results it seems Burton was more of his friend then coach.
Yeah, I mean he might be a scapegoat but given how poorly our secondary performed this year I wouldn’t really put too much stock into the opinions of the guys who were getting burned all over the field every week. Sounds like he was well liked by the played though - good trait to have, but the unit needs to look a lot better at the same time.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It's not a foregone conclusion that we will win enough next year to keep him. I guess it depends on the required wins threshold. It may be as low as 5, but I think if Collins doesn't get GT bowling next year he's gone.
Collins is a dead man walking. These changes are simply a band aid since we can’t fire him right now. He has no clue how to build a program and that isn’t going to change. We all want a silver lining to the past 3 years but there isn’t any. We are just playing out the string.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Many keep talking about a "1-year experiment." Collins has 4 years left on his contract. He's not going anywhere next year if there's any type of w/l progress. So, it's at least a 2-year experiment, maybe more. Besides, I'm not convinced 7 years is enough for a P5 OC job, even if it's Tech.
I am a little confused by this post. You say that Collins isn't going anywhere IF there is progress, but then assume that he has at least two years left.

I think there are plenty of fans that don't believe there will be any progress. I also don't think that the improvement is only going to have to be ANY level of w/l progress. If there are still structural issues with gameday I don't know that four or five wins will be enough for him to stay. I also think that to win back the fans who say they are not going to renew tickets and/or not going to pay attention going forward it will take more than incremental improvement to win them back.

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm my own boss, and there's no way I fire myself so it doesn't apply to me.

I'm kidding...I get what you're saying, but it doesn't mean other people aren't affected. I know as an employer, I've kept some employees longer than I should have because I know they had families dependent on their income. It's not easy telling someone with mouths to feed they you have to let them go...but to your point, if someone's not doing the job you expect, you have to make tough decisions.
Georgia Tech's problem is very similar to America's problem: they won't get rid of the incompetent people who can't do the job they were hired to do.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I literally don’t care whether or not you give a **** about CGC. I advocated for his firing earlier in the year. But you keep making the same post over and over and over and over again. “Whoever we hire will be someone we’ve never heard of.” What do you want them to do? Hire Lincoln Riley as OC? It just gets old.
Ok let me say it this way( lots are naming people who they would like or think it will be). By saying I think it will be someone we have not heard of means ( I don't think it will be one of the names that has been said), Do I know , no I have no idea . I have not said who it will be and really I don't care till I see what they do at Tech not in their past. If what I say get old then here is a hint don't read it.

Last edited:

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I will ask again. Does anyone know for sure that Thacker is not still the DC? Or, is this just speculation and rumor?
At this point we don't know more. Several media outlets have already speculated the demotion. Then if you read the letter from Collins today it reads as if both sides of the ball will have new leaders

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Thanks, BGW. I will believe it when I see it. Maybe one of the Rivals insiders can confirm or deny.
They won't confirm or deny. There is no legal reason that they can't say what KQ posts over there (unless it is copied word for word) However, I believe he has monitored forums before and kicked out people who discuss his "inside" information publicly. (which is well within his rights)

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
They won't confirm or deny. There is no legal reason that they can't say what KQ posts over there (unless it is copied word for word) However, I believe he has monitored forums before and kicked out people who discuss his "inside" information publicly. (which is well within his rights)

KQ is a nice guy and covers us well. I respect him protecting his exclusive content. We’ll find out eventually.