Staff Changes

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Just using some Context clues.
He’s followed our Top QB commit and Top QB target that we haven’t got to commit. Jahmyr, Our brand manager, P. Suddes.
Ohio St just had a QB enter transfer portal.
To me it feels like it’s all adding up for Dennis to GT.
I'm all for it. A young offensive mind that has ties to tech.

Either the same continues and we search for a new head coach next year or things improve enough for Collins to stay. It all seems like a big gamble to me regardless and our worst-case scenario is what many of us (including me) have been clamoring for this year. Let's roll the dice and see what happens. Us engineers are too conservative in general anyways. Professional liability insurance is a b#$^h lol!

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Unbelievable - I, for one, do not believe Burton, Popovich, and even Pnut (although I agree we needed a change to someone more innovative) are our largest issues. Of course, I think the largest issue is at the top, but with that said, we obviously need a DC that can kick butt and take names, and CGC is not that guy, and Thacker is not that guy.

I am so disheartened for GT football, but even more so for Burton and Popovich being scapegoated. This just tells me that CGC still has not clue what needs to be done. If Key becomes our OC, my despondency will reach even higher heights, and it is probably maxxed out right now.

I just cannot believe 2 lower level guys were scapegoated for the worst D GT has ever put on the field (ok, if you want to say "tied" with some other year, fine). I am also beyond sad to know that the "party" atmosphere of this circus will continue - no culture change needed, per TStan and CGC.
Not one interception this season by our CBs , that's on the assistants. Assistants are on yearly contracts.
We're all upset, but as everyone has been saying all week, Collins will be retained and new coordinators on both sides of the ball, with what looks like thacker being demoted.

You may not like collins like most of us, but this a pretty logical move . If we fire Collins, we likely lose more players and recruits .

stech81

Helluva Engineer
How many OC and DC candidates have you actually ever heard of? I’d be willing to bet someone could list off UGA, Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, and Notre Dame’s coordinators and you wouldn't have heard of them. Even if you had, we aren’t in position to poach a big name coordinator anyway. Who are you expecting them to hire that you’ve “heard of”?
Did I say it would be a big name ? I said it would be someone we don't know.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Corey Dennis just started following Zach Pyron on twitter as of today and he wouldn’t be on the radar as a take for Ohio state. Dennis is a very interesting option for OC.
I think maybe more for a QB coach. I know that's a lateral (by title, not team) move for him, but getting back to Atlanta and GT mich be something that he and his wife might be interested in. I'd be surprised if he were a viable candidate for OC.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’d like to show a little love to CDP. He had the Cahoonas to take a job very few OCs in the country wanted. And if that job wasn’t challenging enough, the two most promising WR recruits (Gowdy and Blackburn) we landed never stepped on the field for him (RIP Bryce). His OL never gelled for him (whether it was talent, youth, injuries, etc). His qb spent half of this year injured. Our defense, sadly, did him no favors. And CDP was always a class act from what I witnessed.

Was he a great OC? I doubt it. Do I think he needed to go? Probably. But he has nothing to hang his head about, though I realize there are some on here that feel differently (and that’s okay).
I loved listening to DP talk football.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not one interception this season by our CBs , that's on the assistants. Assistants are on yearly contracts.
We're all upset, but as everyone has been saying all week, Collins will be retained and new coordinators on both sides of the ball, with what looks like thacker being demoted.

You may not like collins like most of us, but this a pretty logical move . If we fire Collins, we likely lose more players and recruits .
My only response to your response is as follows:

The O coordinator better not be Key - that will be a disaster
The D coordinator better not be Thacker (we've seen that already)

One more point is that Thacker deserved to be let go more than Popovich. Thacker and Collins are supposed to be DB whisperers. They have proven they are not. Don't give me "but they will have more time to work with the DB's now" nonsense. Saban works with the DB's, and he is extremely busy.

Lastly, if the good cop only culture continues (no bad cops except Choice maybe), nothing will get better in my opinion.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Unbelievable - I, for one, do not believe Burton, Popovich, and even Pnode (although I agree we needed a change to someone more innovative) are our largest issues. Of course, I think the largest issue is at the top, but with that said, we obviously need a DC that can kick butt and take names, and CGC is not that guy, and Thacker is not that guy.

I am so disheartened for GT football, but even more so for Burton and Popovich being scapegoated. This just tells me that CGC still has not clue what needs to be done. If Key becomes our OC, my despondency will reach even higher heights, and it is probably maxxed out right now.

I just cannot believe 2 lower level guys were scapegoated for the worst D GT has ever put on the field (ok, if you want to say "tied" with some other year, fine). I am also beyond sad to know that the "party" atmosphere of this circus will continue - no culture change needed, per TStan and CGC.
No one on this board has a clue who is a good position coach and who isn't. You don't know who is (or would be) a justifiable firing vs a scapegoat. This thing gets turned around next year or you'll get what you want with a new guy up top.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
OMG he was 0-12 at UCF as OC.
I wasn’t advocating for Key, just stating a possibility as he is currently run coordinator and bringing in someone new would signal to him that he won’t rise above that position. I agree his past results there and here have not merited the promotion.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
No one on this board has a clue who is a good position coach and who isn't. You don't know who is (or would be) a justifiable firing vs a scapegoat. This thing gets turned around next year or you'll get what you want with a new guy up top.
I need no lecturing from you, sir. You are welcome to unfollow me if you like. Collins and Thacker are supposedly DB whisperers. Are you saying they did nothing with the DB's for the last 3 years? Pitiful. He kept his friend.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Hate to see coaches families being uprooted and kids having to be tested as the new kid upon moving. With all the turnover erupting this weekend all over the country, former HCs and coordinators as collateral damage will be available. Keeping fingers crossed on lessons learned and egos set aside.
Is what it is and it comes with the profession. No different than countless other jobs that folks move around the country for. These dudes make a lot of money and generally love what they do, so don’t feel too bad for them.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I would love to have Dennis in an elevated co-OC / QB coach role alongside a more established OC who had playcalling responsibilities

This was exactly what I was going to post.

Ideal situation would be to bring him in as a QB coach or even co-OC to groom him for the job and then someone like Mullen (maybe pipe dream) to serve as OC play calling. The reality is if we make a good OC hire they are likely not going to be here very long either getting poached by a top school or getting an opportunity to be a head coach. So hiring a guy who may be looking to rehabilitate his reputation a bit and then go be a HC again while getting Dennis ready to be the OC after.

Now how realistic anything close to that is I don't know.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Did I say it would be a big name ? I said it would be someone we don't know.
Which implies it would have to be a big name if it’s not someone we don’t know. The vast majority of fans don’t have a clue who the best team’s coordinators are, much less candidates for our job. And you didn’t answer my question, who are candidates for our job that you’ve heard of?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if we’re using an agency to pursue candidates or if CGC will be as good at recruiting people to join his staff in it’s current state just like he and his staff are able to continue to make finalist lists and even sign pretty highly rated recruits. I also wonder what the time table for the deals to get done are in relation to early signing period etc for retaining recruits or changing targets depending on scheme changes due to new OC and possibly new DC?

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I need no lecturing from you, sir. You are welcome to unfollow me if you like. Collins and Thacker are supposedly DB whisperers. Are you saying they did nothing with the DB's for the last 3 years? Pitiful. He kept his friend.
What I'm betting on is Collins gave thacker two options.
Either take the demotion or he's gone. Thacker really likes GT and likely wanted to stay in some role. This isn't unheard of.

Coach Pat on the other hand will likely go back to the FCS level , he would be fine there

Agree to disagree, but Collins is making fixes and if it doesn't work he's likely gone next year.

It's not like a new HC is going to suddenly turn things around for next season anyways.

Though the only thing I can say is that your frustrations are pretty similar to the test of the fan base right now. So it's on Collins to rebuild that trust . I hope he succeeds for one .

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
What I'm betting on is Collins gave thacker two options.
Either take the demotion or he's gone. Thacker really likes GT and likely wanted to stay in some role. This isn't unheard of.

Coach Pat on the other hand will likely go back to the FCS level , he would be fine there

Agree to disagree, but Collins is making fixes and if it doesn't work he's likely gone next year.

It's not like a new HC is going to suddenly turn things around for next season anyways.

Though the only thing I can say is that your frustrations are pretty similar to the test of the fan base right now. So it's on Collins to rebuild that trust . I hope he succeeds for one .
Thacker choosing to stay would likely have very little to do with liking GT. I mean is it really a choice? Take a demotion or beat the streets. His chances of getting a job paying similar to his current or reduced salary is miniscule.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think it makes sense too. It’s about time for him to move up.

He’s had enough experience with top notch QB’s. Seems like he could really connect with GT targets as a recruiter too.

Remember not a lot of OC’s will take a 1 year experiment and also from his perspective getting the OC title is most important for him.

What’s the downside risk considering we’ve been abysmal on both sides of the ball. Most people wanted a complete regime change anyway so I doubt some big time showboat name is touching the gig.

Don’t anybody even mention Whisenhunt or some wash up.
Many keep talking about a "1-year experiment." Collins has 4 years left on his contract. He's not going anywhere next year if there's any type of w/l progress. So, it's at least a 2-year experiment, maybe more. Besides, I'm not convinced 7 years is enough for a P5 OC job, even if it's Tech.