Spring Training 2021

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
How does Sims look throwing the ball so far? Any WR sticking out? How’s McGowan (#2)
Sims looks like he has a faster delivery, but it also looks like he has slowed down on making a read. He seemed to delay making a decision on who to pass too and ended up sacked or scrambling for 5-8 yards.

Peery as a true freshman forced some balls but has a TON of zip on his passes.

Knight was pretty impressive for being only so many days into being full blown QB. He has a cannon for an arm. Threw 2, 50 yard touchdowns in mini scrimmage.

Gibbs/Mason look like the trouble twosome they should be. Griffin looks like he is playing with a chip on his shoulder. BJS looks like he has ultimately succumbed to being 4th string.

Malachi Carter - seems to have moved to being the for sure #1 option.
Sanders - is your quick outlet guy and seems to excel at it.
McGowan - didn't seem to get too much separation, curious how he progresses.
Nate McCollum - dropped another punt return... I think he needs to never touch kick return again. Dropped 1 or 2 last year in a game.
Avery Boyd - looks like a thoroughbred, but was limping most of practice. That concerns me. We will need him for depth come fall.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree with all above. The play in particular I was thinking about was midline option. Would have been a power option there a la Nesbitt. I like the idea of a redzone QB, although Sims is not a small dude either.
Tobias. Oliver for the Red zone big strong young man. Hard to tackle.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
For those who are complaining about the penalties last year (and it’s a legit complaint that I share even as a CGC fan), what should CGC be doing that he isn’t? Let’s agree that the Time Masheen doesn’t exist and it’s a sucky ride anyway, so he can’t go back and fix last year. So that’s not an option. This year it appears that correcting that problem is one of the high priorities he has. They are changing the way practices are run to be less about frenetic activity and music and culture installation and more about disciplined football. First practice and they already has officials there calling penalties to help us figure out things we need to do better. It seems the coaches also spent a lot of time meeting this off season (I’m guessing this was partly enabled by the continued quiet period in recruiting) to plan for how to get better.

Is there something that indicates fixing the penalty problem is NOT a high priority? I’m asking that genuinely because it appears to me they get that it was a big deal and needs to be fixed and are doing something about it.
I was at practice today. There were refs participating in practice with one ref on each sideline on the line of scrimmage.. On several occasions the offensive wideouts lined up incorrectly with the WR more than a yard back and aligned evenly with the slot. In each case the ref put his arm up indicating the WR was in the backfield. Those were pass plays and the WR sprinted downfield. There was no flag thrown and no corrective communication was seen. Maybe the alignment infractions were on tape and the correction will be made later. The plays as I saw them would have been penalties.

In Spring practice as it should be there is a lot of time spent on drills. These should be done correctly with good football technique and body position (you know the old feet wide, knees bent, shoulders square stuff). There is a lot of sloppy drills going on. The emphasis seems to be on getting a lot of repetitions and not so much in doing them correctly. I personally would like t see more discipline involved in the coaching as this overall lack of attention to detail leads to unnecessary penalties..

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
How does Sims look throwing the ball so far? Any WR sticking out? How’s McGowan (#2)
Unfortunately all 4 QBs look about the same. Good throws/plays followed by bad ones followed by good ones followed by bad ones. Not much consistency and not much separation between the QBs. A lot of the trouble is the inconsistent blocking for the QBs. At this point Knight has higher highs and lower lows but looks like the candidate we should have started with three years ago. This offense makes me ill. Our only consistent pass plays are the 3 yarders to the TEs who are moving laterally and tackled for short gains or the completions to the RBs who can often make good things happen. WRs #2 and #7 looked good.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I was at practice today. There were refs participating in practice with one ref on each sideline on the line of scrimmage.. On several occasions the offensive wideouts lined up incorrectly with the WR more than a yard back and aligned evenly with the slot. In each case the ref put his arm up indicating the WR was in the backfield. Those were pass plays and the WR sprinted downfield. There was no flag thrown and no corrective communication was seen. Maybe the alignment infractions were on tape and the correction will be made later. The plays as I saw them would have been penalties.

In Spring practice as it should be there is a lot of time spent on drills. These should be done correctly with good football technique and body position (you know the old feet wide, knees bent, shoulders square stuff). There is a lot of sloppy drills going on. The emphasis seems to be on getting a lot of repetitions and not so much in doing them correctly. I personally would like t see more discipline involved in the coaching as this overall lack of attention to detail leads to unnecessary penalties..
I agree 100%.

If I heard correctly they let the refs call the penalty but they don't stop the play to correct it.

They run 1000 mph and fix mistakes later.

I hate to be a curmudgeon, but if you don't correct mistakes early and allow them to continue to practice them in reps.... you'll have issues forever.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately all 4 QBs look about the same. Good throws/plays followed by bad ones followed by good ones followed by bad ones. Not much consistency and not much separation between the QBs. A lot of the trouble is the inconsistent blocking for the QBs. At this point Knight has higher highs and lower lows but looks like the candidate we should have started with three years ago. This offense makes me ill. Our only consistent pass plays are the 3 yarders to the TEs who are moving laterally and tackled for short gains or the completions to the RBs who can often make good things happen. WRs #2 and #7 looked good.
Yup. The only consistent passing play was to the TE for a 2-6 yard gain. Literally running horizontal.