Spring Training 2021

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
How about we get everybody vaccinated and quit screwing around with all this start and stop crap for something that has yet to take out even one College Football player. Enough already. Use some common sense and get on with life.

Go Jackets!
Of course it is not just the student athletes you have to worry about. Coaches support staff, etc. However, now that all adults are eligible in GA we should push to get everyone vaccinated.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
This single digit recognition thing is anti-team. I think it is a big mistake and separates rather than unites. Make the leaders team captains or put a decal on their helmet but this single digit thing is too much show and not enough dough!

Go Jackets!

I don't agree with that. It's a more meaningful reward, and it's earned by contributions as a teammate, not specifically performance on the field. This is something I'm in big support of because it is bracketed with a culture that values it for each other. It's one of those things that could be bad for the reasons you mention, but its value depends on other things. Now, there may be some argument that they are given out too easily, but assessing that would require deeper knowledge of the team than I have.

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't agree with that. It's a more meaningful reward, and it's earned by contributions as a teammate, not specifically performance on the field. This is something I'm in big support of because it is bracketed with a culture that values it for each other. It's one of those things that could be bad for the reasons you mention, but its value depends on other things. Now, there may be some argument that they are given out too easily, but assessing that would require deeper knowledge of the team than I have.
This. I was gonna comment something similar; earlier last year there was a tweet that said ‘team success leads to individual accolades’ and that’s part of the culture we are going for as a program.

These numbers are the people who are the leaders of the team and, in a different system, maybe one 72 miles from Atlanta, you could have issues where players are more out for the success themselves and it hurts the team at a macro level.

I also think, in this new age of media marketing and building brands for your players, the single digit emphasis might help our top guys begin to build their brands, and in a few years that part of our culture (assuming we turn the corner and win a lot of games) could be something that helps Tech stand out for recruits.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
This single digit recognition thing is anti-team. I think it is a big mistake and separates rather than unites. Make the leaders team captains or put a decal on their helmet but this single digit thing is too much show and not enough dough!

Go Jackets!
They should stop giving the players individual grades in class too. Everyone on the team should get the same grades. One player out performing another in class is anti-team.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
They should stop giving the players individual grades in class too. Everyone on the team should get the same grades. One player out performing another in class is anti-team.
Grades are necessary. Random jersey number selection isn't. Its a manufactured way of praising a subset of the team. Im not totally against it but it does seem fairly odd to do when we are also a program that doesn't put out a real depth chart because we don't want to hurt the backups feelings.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Grades are necessary. Random jersey number selection isn't. Its a manufactured way of praising a subset of the team. Im not totally against it but it does seem fairly odd to do when we are also a program that doesn't put out a real depth chart because we don't want to hurt the backups feelings.
I don't believe you correctly state the reason there is no depth chart. Some people are left off the ATL list. So are you saying it's OK to hurt the feelings of the ones who are left off?

Contrary to your assertion, the ATL list is a recognition of those who practice well enough to be ready to play in the game. So actually the ATL list is a recognition of performance--just like single digits.

The accuracy of the ATL list is another subject entirely.....

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
Bringing up the ATL list, in theory it is roster management that doubles in making the team more effective in games.

Sure, you can simplify it to “we don’t have a #1 and #2, you’re competing with each other every day and earning that start on Gameday,” but that’s also really cutesy and not realistic; the players themselves know who the first two guys are, and who the next two are, and so on.

The point of the ATL system is because we want to run a high tempo defense that subs frequently, keeping guys fresh. You don’t need a fancy ATL system to do that of course, but redefining our depth chart in that way adds another dimension to “you compete for your spot each day.” Why have starters and back-ups when you can have a great speed rusher, a great power rusher, a great edge contain guy, a great pursuit guy, and use those four in various sets that complement each other. That’s what the best programs do, and we’re just redefining our depth chart to align with that concept and the ideology / culture of the program.

Regardless, the ATL chart is not about preventing feelings from being hurt, it’s something to make Tech different and help us stand out amongst the crowd and hopefully help the buy-in to our program.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
1-2 weeks?! Sheesh. I thought maybe 1-2 days and remove the kids that tested positive. Dang... I was excited to go to the open practice this weekend.
Think there is still that grey period where people that were exposed could have it but be asymptomatic and not test positive for another 5? days or so.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Go Jackets!

Remember that the "I" in team is in the A-holes...

1616617453177.png

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Bringing up the ATL list, in theory it is roster management that doubles in making the team more effective in games.

Sure, you can simplify it to “we don’t have a #1 and #2, you’re competing with each other every day and earning that start on Gameday,” but that’s also really cutesy and not realistic; the players themselves know who the first two guys are, and who the next two are, and so on.

The point of the ATL system is because we want to run a high tempo defense that subs frequently, keeping guys fresh. You don’t need a fancy ATL system to do that of course, but redefining our depth chart in that way adds another dimension to “you compete for your spot each day.” Why have starters and back-ups when you can have a great speed rusher, a great power rusher, a great edge contain guy, a great pursuit guy, and use those four in various sets that complement each other. That’s what the best programs do, and we’re just redefining our depth chart to align with that concept and the ideology / culture of the program.

Regardless, the ATL chart is not about preventing feelings from being hurt, it’s something to make Tech different and help us stand out amongst the crowd and hopefully help the buy-in to our program.
Collins has said himself that the purpose of the ATL is that once a backup knows they are a backup they practice differently. He wants the players feeling better about their position on the team than he thinks they would feel if they were shown as a backup on a real depth chart. Feelings hurt might not be the right way to describe it but he certainly seems to think they would be demotivated by being labeled a backup. I am surprised that he personally awards jersey numbers to some players which has a possibility of demotivating or alienating others in a similar way. The two philosophies basically contradict each other.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Collins has said himself that the purpose of the ATL is that once a backup knows they are a backup they practice differently. He wants the players feeling better about their position on the team than he thinks they would feel if they were shown as a backup on a real depth chart. Feelings hurt might not be the right way to describe it but he certainly seems to think they would be demotivated by being labeled a backup. I am surprised that he personally awards jersey numbers to some players which has a possibility of demotivating or alienating others in a similar way. The two philosophies basically contradict each other.
I think the point has been, and continues to be, it isn't a comment on your individual performance to earn a single digit, but instead is a comment on the TeamFirst attitude he is building our team's culture around.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ve enjoyed the new aspects Collins has brought. But, none of this matters moving forward. Collins team simply has to perform better on the field. It’s all about performance moving forward. We have 3 tests in a row - don’t lose to a sub standard opponent in weeks 1 and 2 and then look like a D1 team against Clemson. What we saw way too many times last season was a complete dumpster fire. And the first play of the Pitt game was just par for the course. That can’t happen this year.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think I have heard the coaches say that is the reason for the ATL chart. I don't think the ATL chart is for the players at all. They know who is going to play and when they will be going in without an ATL chart. I believe we have to put something out so this is what you get. Most coaches would not put out any information that the opposition could use if they did not have to.

Baker99

Georgia Tech Fan
So looking at the roster, I noticed Sims is still listed as a freshman. Is that because this is still his first year, or is it because covid canceled out last year and every one gets an extra year of eligibility. So he is still considered a freshman?

I don't normally look at the rosters until the fall so I never noticed before.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
So looking at the roster, I noticed Sims is still listed as a freshman. Is that because this is still his first year, or is it because covid canceled out last year and every one gets an extra year of eligibility. So he is still considered a freshman?

I don't normally look at the rosters until the fall so I never noticed before.

No ones year counted last year.