Spring Training 2021

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Bringing in transfers that displace prior "starters" can be a slippery slope and can divide a locker room. Donnie Davis and Luginbill under Lewis was very divisive. Fortunately we had an AD that moved to fix it by bringing back GOL. Let's hope GC can keep the "family" together but the transfer portal is making that a lot more challenging. May be his ATL strategy.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
The majority of his transfers have been at CB and DL, both of which have a ton of rotation in a given game, which plays into his overall ATL strategy.

OLine may be the only position that a transfer displaces a starter, but with our most recent OLine starter deciding to take a job the players under him may not have played anyway

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer

Bringing in transfers that displace prior "starters" can be a slippery slope and can divide a locker room. Donnie Davis and Luginbill under Lewis was very divisive. Fortunately we had an AD that moved to fix it by bringing back GOL. Let's hope GC can keep the "family" together but the transfer portal is making that a lot more challenging. May be his ATL strategy.
I thought his comments about Eley were interesting in that regard. Makes me think there may be some tension at other spots

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I thought his comments about Eley were interesting in that regard. Makes me think there may be some tension at other spots

I enjoyed the interview as well with Coach Thacker. I had the thought when he mentioned having ACC refs at the practices if that isn't helpful for the refs as well? Maybe them getting some reps in the spring will reduce some of the rust from having a long layoff from the end of the season to late August. I think the level of officiating in the league is spotty and maybe getting them extra work in the spring would be valuable for the entire staff. (I know there are obstacles, just thinking out loud here.)

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
What did he say that made you think there may be some tension at other spots? I heard him say, in the context of Eley, that when experienced guys come in there's always a possibility of it being negative but that Eley has come in humble and earned the respect. When talking about the edge spot with Harris he didn't mention anything at all regarding positive/negative about being a transfer specifically. I got the impression he was more complimenting Eley than saying that there might be tension elsewhere. But I am genuinely curious what you heard as we all hear with different ears. Thanks.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
What did he say that made you think there may be some tension at other spots? I heard him say, in the context of Eley, that when experienced guys come in there's always a possibility of it being negative but that Eley has come in humble and earned the respect. When talking about the edge spot with Harris he didn't mention anything at all regarding positive/negative about being a transfer specifically. I got the impression he was more complimenting Eley than saying that there might be tension elsewhere. But I am genuinely curious what you heard as we all hear with different ears. Thanks.
I was reading between the lines. Him commenting on how it isn't a problem with Eley makes me think it may be a problem with other players/position groups. Chekov's gun situation.
It is nothing but pure conjecture on my part.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
Could be just a generality that one could see occurring on other football teams or just in life in general, someone looks forward to a starting job or a promotion and some other guys comes in out of nowhere for it.

might have not been referring to a specific problem in another position group on our team.

or maybe he was, and those people have already transferred out

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I was reading between the lines. Him commenting on how it isn't a problem with Eley makes me think it may be a problem with other players/position groups. Chekov's gun situation.
It is nothing but pure conjecture on my part.
OK. FWIW I didn't see anything in his body language or the context to indicate there was anything between the lines. It felt like and sounded like he was really excited about what Eley has brought to the table both from a physical traits standpoint, experience standpoint, and humility/leadership standpoint rather than calling out anything lacking anywhere else. In other words it sounded and looked like he was just complimenting one guy and not meaning anything negative about others in what he didn't say.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm psyched about Eley!

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Sims looks like he has a faster delivery, but it also looks like he has slowed down on making a read. He seemed to delay making a decision on who to pass too and ended up sacked or scrambling for 5-8 yards.

Peery as a true freshman forced some balls but has a TON of zip on his passes.

Knight was pretty impressive for being only so many days into being full blown QB. He has a cannon for an arm. Threw 2, 50 yard touchdowns in mini scrimmage.

Gibbs/Mason look like the trouble twosome they should be. Griffin looks like he is playing with a chip on his shoulder. BJS looks like he has ultimately succumbed to being 4th string.

Malachi Carter - seems to have moved to being the for sure #1 option.
Sanders - is your quick outlet guy and seems to excel at it.
McGowan - didn't seem to get too much separation, curious how he progresses.
Nate McCollum - dropped another punt return... I think he needs to never touch kick return again. Dropped 1 or 2 last year in a game.
Avery Boyd - looks like a thoroughbred, but was limping most of practice. That concerns me. We will need him for depth come fall.
You might have forgotten about Dontae Smith, which would make BJS 5th string by my estimation. Smith might actually be 3rd after Mason and Gibbs.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Competition is king, if you don't want to compete don't come to GT, the best man needs to play, I'm guessing that we will see kids get beat out from time to time for a few years to come as I'm expecting the recruiting to get better and better over the coming years. These kids are fortunate now that they can transfer and if they're unhappy probably best for all that they transfer