Spring Preview: Offensive Line

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
That is why I would not be surprised if they (Smith) decided to transfer. With such high numbers, the coaching staff will have to encourage some movement to insure proper roster management as well.!
This is due to the coaching transition. If Paul had stayed, Smith and Hansen would be the guards coming up. Smith is a right good run blocker by all reports and, Lord knows, he's big enough. You may be right, however.

Oth, the two OLs I wanted to see more of last year were Maye and Smith. Maye is - again by all reports - one of the strongest players on the team and fast too boot. But he was so crippled by injury last year that he only played on kicks and not only then.

The wild cards here, of course, are Johnson and Cochran. I know everybody here - including me - wants them to step up to the plate. But both were no better then the best OLs on mediocre teams. That could translate into good performance - Tech was, shall we say, mediocre too - but it remains to be seen. I'm sure both will get their chance, however; what they do with it is up to them. Spring should be fun to watch.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The wild cards here, of course, are Johnson and Cochran. I know everybody here - including me - wants them to step up to the plate. But both were no better then the best OLs on mediocre teams.
Cochran was legitimately one of the best tackles in the SEC, and a legitimate draft prospect. As long as he isn’t hampered with injuries this year he’ll be the first OL drafted from Tech since Shaq Mason. Johnson has started over 30 games in an offense similar to what Tech is running now. I know you’re a “wait and see” guy, but Cochran will be the best lineman on the team when he steps on campus, and I’d be willing to bet Johnson isn’t too far behind him.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
This is due to the coaching transition. If Paul had stayed, Smith and Hansen would be the guards coming up. Smith is a right good run blocker by all reports and, Lord knows, he's big enough. You may be right, however.

Oth, the two OLs I wanted to see more of last year were Maye and Smith. Maye is - again by all reports - one of the strongest players on the team and fast too boot. But he was so crippled by injury last year that he only played on kicks and not only then.

The wild cards here, of course, are Johnson and Cochran. I know everybody here - including me - wants them to step up to the plate. But both were no better then the best OLs on mediocre teams. That could translate into good performance - Tech was, shall we say, mediocre too - but it remains to be seen. I'm sure both will get their chance, however; what they do with it is up to them. Spring should be fun to watch.
You’re downplaying the hell out of both grad transfers. Cochran is a legit NFL prospect and Johnson has 30+ gms in a similar offense.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You’re downplaying the hell out of both grad transfers. Cochran is a legit NFL prospect and Johnson has 30+ gms in a similar offense.
I don't doubt that what you (and others) say, but I believe that players at Tech will start and be really good when they, you know, start and are really good. To be blunt about it, we have no idea how the competition between Cochran and Johnson and the returning OLs will work out. If I'm downplaying their possible contribution (and I'm not; I'm just being cautious), you (and others) are completely discounting the possible contributions of our returning OL. So much for "competition is king".

I want both of these young men pan out as you (and others) hope; I really do. That would be great. At present, however, all we have is rosy scenarios. Results would sure help. That's what I'm waiting for.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

Cochran I have no questions about. Johnson I think is undersold as well, given his lack of recent production on a Tennessee OL that is not considered good, but this is clouded by a change in scheme for which he was a poor fit.

All that said, what matters most is whether the unit can work together, identify assignments to pick up blitzes, and all execute reasonably ok at their individual assignment. That hurt us much more than talent last year.