Spring Preview: Offensive Line

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
From ajc: https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...review-offensive-line/vTBLMeaN2q9VODuWSmMSqO/

Who’s gone: G/OT Jared Southers

Who’s back: G Jamal Camp, G/OT Charlie Clark, C Kenny Cooper, G Jack DeFoor, G Connor Hansen, OT Harrison Jump, C William Lay, G Michael Maye, G Mikey Minihan, OT Zach Quinney, G Austin Smith

Who’s new: OT Michael Rankins (early enrollee), OL Ryan Spiers (early enrollee), G/C Ryan Johnson (grad-transfer early enrollee), OT Jordan Williams (early enrollee)

What are your thoughts- Projected starters, breakout player, improved??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t get 4* olinemen but a real solid group. Couple that with the grad transfers and the OLine should be a strength as a starting unit. What a difference a year makes. Key did his thing.

stars for OL probably the least relevant of all the positions. This group looks the part and has good tape. Hopefully they mature and develop well because they have the potential to be a good group down the line

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IMO, this will be our most improved group. The starting 5 will be solid...which is a nice step up from last season. We just need them to be average, and there's a chance they can be better than that depending on how the 2 transfers settle in, and how much the freshmen can develop to spot some minutes for the starters.

It says a lot about the confidence our coaches have in this group that one of our better OL (Jahaziel Lee) is moving to DL full time now.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
If IF IF IF the 3 best players don't get hurt (2 transfers and Cooper), this position should be the most improved easily on team. (of course that is from a low base).

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The OL got a bad rap last year, mainly due to a disastrous lack of continuity. We only lost Cooper for the year (though that was bad enough), but it seemed like almost everyone got dinged up for a game or three and some played with injuries that limited their participation. When we finally got an OL of scholarship players out there in the last three games, results improved. Not tremendously, but they improved. If the main players and reserves had been able to avoid those nagging injuries for the season, we would have seen a much better OL, imho.

That's why the Bowhunter's post is so spot on. We desperately need to get our OL through spring without major new injuries and integrate the new kids asap. The talent is there, with or without the new members. Then, with any kind of luck, we'll see the OL get a full year of working together. That's bound to lead to improvement. Problem = we have a lot of senior OLs. We'll have to rotate effectively - i.e. more then 7 OLs play - to get the underclassmen up to speed. It'll be interesting to watch.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Seemed like this group never really jelled last year. We had a whole lot of injuries and played hell having any continuity. It seemed like pass protection was very inconsistent and run blocking was up and down as well. Here is how I would rank the returning lineup:

Tackles

Z. Quinney
C. Clark
R. Johnson
D. Cochran
H. Jump
J. Williams
M. Rankins

Normally we only go 3 deep at any o line position, if that. This means the freshmen will definitely redshirt unless they are drop dead great. The transfers have one year so we need to get what we can out of them. Until I see them play, I am not ready to default to them as starters. I hope at least one of them is that good. We have 3 more freshmen coming in the fall as well who will definitely redshirt.

Center

K. Cooper
W. Lay

We need for Cooper to stay healthy. We really missed him last year.

Guards

C. Hansen
J. DeFoor
M. Minihan
M. Maye
R. Spiers
J. Camp
A. Smith

I think the first 3 will man the position if they stay healthy. The freshmen should redshirt and I don't know why Jamal Camp was moved to the O line. It looks like he and Smith are good candidates for transfer. This should be the best position on the offensive line. We have pretty good talent with the first 3 here.

We just need to keep everybody healthy as possible. If we can do that, we have the experience and talent to be a very good offensive line unit.

Go Jackets!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure several of these players will be in the mix at multiple spots on the line. It's incredible how much different things are likely to be. Even if there isn't an expected talent / conditioning rise, the extra time learning the system, playing the right assignments more consistently, and getting a chance to gel together as a unit instead of applying a brand new patch every week would make things so much better. But the size and talent are going to be significantly upgraded as well.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Well when the other 3 freshmen get here that will make 19 guys plus a handful of walk ons competing for 5 positions. Most teams actually only play 7 to 8 guys in their offensive line rotations. that means 11 or more guys standing around and hoping something happens that might allow them to play. So far, I don't think Austin Smith has played a down. He has been here a couple of years and I think at some point you either prove you can play at this level or not. I don't have any inside knowledge but just based on my experience over time, guys like Austin and Luke Johns, who has a similar track record, will not be impact players. They contribute on the scout teams and certainly have value but you have to wonder if they are satisfied to just serve in that capacity. That is why I would not be surprised if they decided to transfer. With such high numbers, the coaching staff will have to encourage some movement to insure proper roster management as well.

Go Jackets!