Spring Preview: Defensive Line

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m curious to see what happens with Bennett, Dominick, and Dingle. They’re all good looking players who made some plays in certain spots last year. I’m wondering how their bodies and player development (technique, play recognition, etc.) mature. Dominick and Bennett have the length to be good DEs. Dingle is an athletic guy whose frame keeps filling - I’m almost wondering if he moved to DT.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’m curious to see what happens with Bennett, Dominick, and Dingle. They’re all good looking players who made some plays in certain spots last year. I’m wondering how their bodies and player development (technique, play recognition, etc.) mature. Dominick and Bennett have the length to be good DEs. Dingle is an athletic guy whose frame keeps filling - I’m almost wondering if he moved to DT.
I think the plan for him is to play inside and out.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
My thoughts:

Depth chart for defensive ends

Antwan Owens
Justin Dingle
Chico Bennett (needs to add weight)
Jaquan Henderson (needs to add weight)
Antonneous Clayton*
Sylvain Yondjouen (needs to add weight)
Curtis Ryans
Luke Johns

6 players is gracious plenty here. I look for Ryans and Johns to transfer. *Clayton is a wild card, he supposed to be all world but I will have to see it before I move him up the ladder.

Defensive tackles

T. K. Chimedza
Mike Lockhart
JaQuon Griffin
Jahaziel Lee#
Chris Martin
Jamal Camp
Djimon Brooks
D'Quan Douse
Akelo Stone

Stone will probably redshirt. #Lee is projected to be all world but he stays hurt and I really won't count on him until he proves it. Camp was left out and I am not including incoming freshmen. This is one of the weakest positions on the team. I am hoping Lockhart and Griffin can come in and add some toughness to this position. Chimedza really needs to step up his game. We could see a couple of transfers out of this group as well.

Our defensive line in general is a liability and will continue to be so until some of these guys get good or get gone and we find some guys that can make a difference at this level.

Go Jackets!

Camp plays Oline.

Jmonty71

Banned
Read on ajc

DEFENSIVE LINE
Who’s gone: DT Brentavious Glanton

Who’s back: DE Chico Bennett, DT Djimon Brooks, DT T.K. Chimedza, DE Antonneous Clayton, DE Kelton Dawson, DE Justice Dingle, DT D’Quan Douse, DT Ja’Quon Griffin, DE Jaquan Henderson, DE Luke Johns, DT Jahaziel Lee, DT Mike Lockhart, DT Chris Martin, DE Antwan Owens, DE Curtis Ryans, DE Sylvain Yondjouen

Who’s new: DT Akelo Stone
Projected starters:

What are your thoughts, starting lineup, keys to improve??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keys to improve?? Long subject.. I think defense starts with the DL... If you can only rush 4, that allows the rest of the defense to cover their assignments. Issue is, it's been years since only 4 could reach any QB.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Perhaps I am overstating this, but this group is the key to our success this Fall. Our DBs are an actual strength and I think our LBs are better than they showed last year. If this group is able to hold the line against most teams, we will be much improved on defense. Our offense is not likely to score 30 ppg and this group needs to be able to keep the not-Clemson and not-uGA teams under that number if at all possible.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Keys to improve?? Long subject.. I think defense starts with the DL... If you can only rush 4, that allows the rest of the defense to cover their assignments. Issue is, it's been years since only 4 could reach any QB.

Sadly, it seems like a very long time since even 5 or 6 could get to the QB, let alone 4. I hope we can get production up this year. A lot of these younger guys showed glimpses last fall of being productive DL..

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I’m guessing...

DE: Antonneous Clayton
DT: TK Chimezda
DT: Jahziel Lee
DE: Antwan Owens

If TK takes the next step, if Clayton can realize some of his potential, if Lee can ball out as a first year DL, then our 1st four on the DL starts to look P5.

Will need some guys who can rotate in because offenses like Clemson, UGA, Notre Dame, will wear you down. Need Griffin to keep improving and for some solid depth and especially more rushers to emerge...but I think the rushers will take time.

I think we will improve stopping the run a fair bit, and get a little more heat on the QB. Still see DL as the acgilles heel though.