Spring Preview: Defensive Line

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Read on ajc

DEFENSIVE LINE
Who’s gone: DT Brentavious Glanton

Who’s back: DE Chico Bennett, DT Djimon Brooks, DT T.K. Chimedza, DE Antonneous Clayton, DE Kelton Dawson, DE Justice Dingle, DT D’Quan Douse, DT Ja’Quon Griffin, DE Jaquan Henderson, DE Luke Johns, DT Jahaziel Lee, DT Mike Lockhart, DT Chris Martin, DE Antwan Owens, DE Curtis Ryans, DE Sylvain Yondjouen

Who’s new: DT Akelo Stone
Projected starters:

What are your thoughts, starting lineup, keys to improve??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
Here's the link to the AJC article.

I'm looking forward to Jahaziel Lee playing DT full time, and not having to move back to OL (where he got hurt last season). He seemed to play really well in that position, and without him we were way too thin. Like everyone else, I'm hoping Clayton is a difference-maker that makes everyone around him look better.

I'm also hoping an extra year of S&C helps our guys move well and get off blocks, and that the guys who had their seasons ended last year can come back from those injuries.. Last year was a school of hard knocks where freshmen got playing time, and if we're lucky that experience will help out this year.

Above the line (DT): Lee (if healthy again), Brooks, Chimedza, Griffin, and maybe Stone unless they redshirt him. Possibly all of the DTs. I think Lee, Brooks, Chimedza, and Griffin will get a lot of playing time between them.
Above the line (DE): Clayton, Yonjouen, Bennett (if healthy), Dingle. I see a lot of Clayton and a lot of rotation.

Unless they get redshirted, I think they'll rotate as many guys in as can play.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts:

Depth chart for defensive ends

Antwan Owens
Justin Dingle
Chico Bennett (needs to add weight)
Jaquan Henderson (needs to add weight)
Antonneous Clayton*
Sylvain Yondjouen (needs to add weight)
Curtis Ryans
Luke Johns

6 players is gracious plenty here. I look for Ryans and Johns to transfer. *Clayton is a wild card, he supposed to be all world but I will have to see it before I move him up the ladder.

Defensive tackles

T. K. Chimedza
Mike Lockhart
JaQuon Griffin
Jahaziel Lee#
Chris Martin
Jamal Camp
Djimon Brooks
D'Quan Douse
Akelo Stone

Stone will probably redshirt. #Lee is projected to be all world but he stays hurt and I really won't count on him until he proves it. Camp was left out and I am not including incoming freshmen. This is one of the weakest positions on the team. I am hoping Lockhart and Griffin can come in and add some toughness to this position. Chimedza really needs to step up his game. We could see a couple of transfers out of this group as well.

Our defensive line in general is a liability and will continue to be so until some of these guys get good or get gone and we find some guys that can make a difference at this level.

Go Jackets!

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m thinking Yondjouen will be break-out player of the group

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Unless I missed it...Jared Ivey?

That kids highlight tape is awesome. I’m excited to see what he can do

stech81

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="Jerry the Jacket, post: 695614, member: 65"

Our defensive line in general is a liability and will continue to be so until some of these guys get good or get gone and we find some guys that can make a difference at this level.

Go Jackets![/QUOTE]
I worry less about the defense of line and more about our LB's maybe I'm the only one the thinks our linebacker play will be the weakest on this team.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m excited about this group. I see a lot of potential. We’ve had so much trouble recruiting and developing DL players for so long. A lot of these guys have a chance to help us. A few of them have made some plays for us on game day, but none of them have proven they can be a consistent difference maker.

I’m particularly interested to see what Jaquan Henderson can do. I think 3 defensive staffs now have immediately recognized his talent, but consistent contributions on defense haven’t materialized.

Clayton is also a big unknown to me. He looks the part and was a prized recruit, but never really produced at UF. Maybe he can make a name for himself here.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Collins has to recruit GT’s hole on the DL and LB. It’s going to take a couple more recruiting cycles but he’s off to a good start with who he has brought in. The day will come when we are legit solid with seniors and juniors. This year, like last year, will be fun watching the pups figure it out. The wins will come naturally in years to come.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts:

Depth chart for defensive ends

Antwan Owens
Justin Dingle
Chico Bennett (needs to add weight)
Jaquan Henderson (needs to add weight)
Antonneous Clayton*
Sylvain Yondjouen (needs to add weight)
Curtis Ryans
Luke Johns

6 players is gracious plenty here. I look for Ryans and Johns to transfer. *Clayton is a wild card, he supposed to be all world but I will have to see it before I move him up the ladder.

Defensive tackles

T. K. Chimedza
Mike Lockhart
JaQuon Griffin
Jahaziel Lee#
Chris Martin
Jamal Camp
Djimon Brooks
D'Quan Douse
Akelo Stone

Stone will probably redshirt. #Lee is projected to be all world but he stays hurt and I really won't count on him until he proves it. Camp was left out and I am not including incoming freshmen. This is one of the weakest positions on the team. I am hoping Lockhart and Griffin can come in and add some toughness to this position. Chimedza really needs to step up his game. We could see a couple of transfers out of this group as well.

Go Jackets!

Lee “projecting to be all world” is news to me. Wasn’t even counting him as a starter if healthy. Did I miss some comments from the staff?

I have a hard time seeing Clayton not starting given his pedigree and the current state of our DE depth chart (not flush with studs).

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
One of the things that concerns me a little about getting my hopes up with Clayton are the comments about him made by teammates.

“He’s a hard worker” and “he’s strong” are good things, but are more typical of that underdog everyone is pulling for. I would think someone who is going to “take over the ACC” would be described as “unblockable,” “great first step,” “relentless,” “dominant”...etc

I hope I’m overthinking it. Also hope the growth of everyone else makes the need for an absolute freak on the DL less needed.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Duplicate post deleted.

Will add to what someone else mentioned above, LB play concerns me as well.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Lee “projecting to be all world” is news to me. Wasn’t even counting him as a starter if healthy. Did I miss some comments from the staff?

I have a hard time seeing Clayton not starting given his pedigree and the current state of our DE depth chart (not flush with studs).

Collins has stated Jahaziel is an NFL DT on more than 1 occasion. But I'm not going to count him as a stud until I see it on the field.

I don't know with Clayton. There's certainly a lot of hope for him, and he's added a lot more strength in our program the last couple years, was also limited by injury at UF.

I rewatched a couple of games from last year recently. The DL weakness really stood out to me, even when we were being competitive. I think LB were judged a bit unfairly with that backdrop. That said, we've got so many young bodies with a little game experience now and a whole lot of coaching and S&C work to apply to this season. I think things are going to look a whole lot different.

I also love Jared Ivey's film because he frequently kept himself from over-pursuing and running himself out of a play, knowing when a block wasn't going to let him past and keeping active hands to be able to shed it when the RB or QB would head in his direction. Even if he's not developed enough to be a great pass rusher at this level, I think he's a lot more refined than, say, Yondjouen who saw plenty of time trying to figure it out.

Even for some of the guys it may just be a matter of starting to understand what to do enough to rely on muscle memory instead of slowing down to think.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes our coach has described J. Lee as NFL level talent so I would expect he will be a monster but based on what I have seen from him throughout his career, I feel doubtful we will get a lot of playing time out of him. I agree on Clayton, he looks the part but so far he has spent most of his career hurt or on the bench. I hope they both have great seasons, but I want to see it before I start declaring them all americans.

As for our linebackers, I agree they have not performed near a level that would allow us to be a championship caliber team. The same could be said about our secondary. They underperformed by a good margin last year and I am beginning to question our entire defensive coaching staff. I did not see a lot of improvement as the year progressed. I hope we get some better returns in 2020.

Realistically, Ivey needs to add 40 lbs. to compete at this level. Of the freshmen, I think Johnson has the best chance to contribute this season. The other kid, Kennard I think, is a project.

Go Jackets!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Until we get 300+ lb BEASTS (talent not just size), DT will be a problem area affecting the whole DEF team.Right now we are somewhat small AND young.Some potential but lots to prove.

The early discussion above on whether the DL or LB position is weaker tells a story also.If one was strong it could compensate for the other but that is not the case unfortunately.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the one player these posts are overlooking is Dawson. He was a starter before he got hurt and played as least as well as the other DEs. I don';t see any reason - except rosy scenarios about Clayton - to think he won't start against Clemson.

Mind, I hope everyone's evaluation of Clayton work out. But, remember, he came to Tech because he was being beaten out by competitor at UF. No shame in that; they have a lot of good football players down there. But I'll wait until spring practice to see how he does.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I’m ready to see Lockheart and Douse get in their at DT, especially on 3rd and longs. Excited about the incoming freshmen as well, hoping someone out of the Chimedza, Martin, Lee group takes a huge jump and becomes a dominant run stopper.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the one player these posts are overlooking is Dawson. He was a starter before he got hurt and played as least as well as the other DEs. I don';t see any reason - except rosy scenarios about Clayton - to think he won't start against Clemson

Agree on Dawson, I watched him one sting game and thought he was going to be best DL the following year, then he never played much.