Spring Practice

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Thanks IM79. We make a god team
Ladies and gentlemen, humility has just left the building…
1711588199604.gif

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What I like about this is the "we brought the right kids in" stuff. I was a good friend of one of our chief admission officers at my college. I asked him what the most important thing about college admissions was. He answered at once,"Don't recruit problems."

That's it in a nutshell. If you want to succeed you have to avoid recruiting problems and it doesn't matter in what field of endeavor you're in. If the base of the team is with you and starting to run like a well oiled machine (something that can be undermined by losing, of course), you can depend on practice working to improve performance. You are also in a situation where you can take a chance on an athlete who doesn't quite fit the profile but has great talent. I'm sure Coach is aiming at just that kind of a team and it takes someone with experience like Weinke's to see it in it's infancy. Hope he's right, btw, and that our record this coming season allows the team to really settle in. Then, sports fans, we might see something really special.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I really like the direction of the program. I wasn’t sure I’d ever be able to say that again. I think back to that introductory press conference of the former guy. I had a bad feeling. Now I have a good feeling.

PS I will miss dancing on the sidelines and lifting weights on the field before games though. 😉

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

“I think that’s a cliché, ‘Hey, we’re a family here. Hey, we’ve got a great culture.’ What does that really mean? It means you have the right people in the building collectively pulling the rope together in the same direction. I think that’s really important, and I think (Key’s) done an outstanding job with that.”
^^^ love that part

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
All seems rightly alAll seems rightly aligned.
Last years pregame on Tech green at the BLOCK party were wonderful. Angel and wife came to welcome team and meet the fans. She is very impressive. Then some entertainers sang with a small band, kids all danced and new the words to songs. One was named Ludicrous.

Wienke
At pregame we joined with some player families who tailgated on Tech Green. Nearby was the recruit sign in and dine tent. The GTAA staff as well as support staff were all around and all were dressed with new and well fitting shirts and slacks. Really large people often have shirts and slacks that are - well like tents to hide some extra in the middle. Wienke who is tall and massive was dressed to the tee. Shirts and slacks had to be tailored and he looks like he could suit up. Recruits and parents wall gathered around him as he commanded the room. Not puffed up - genuinely talking with folks. The player parents are always coming by the tailgate - Saw Pyron's dad and Rhodes' dad - they love that we have a quarterback coach and they love Wienke. Also they love gt degree - which both on them will get in about 1 year. Rhodes is discussing a football staff position.
In the last interview - Wienke was appreciative of Key giving him the title of assistant coach.
All seems rightly aligned.

Can we keep him when FSU throws money at him (local FSU alumni has his jersey as the big prize on their raffle = Wienke is a legend).
I think he stays for 2 years if we can get some more money as we show out on field.
We could have nice things.
Money is our weak point

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
All seems rightly alAll seems rightly aligned.
Last years pregame on Tech green at the BLOCK party were wonderful. Angel and wife came to welcome team and meet the fans. She is very impressive. Then some entertainers sang with a small band, kids all danced and new the words to songs. One was named Ludicrous.

Wienke
At pregame we joined with some player families who tailgated on Tech Green. Nearby was the recruit sign in and dine tent. The GTAA staff as well as support staff were all around and all were dressed with new and well fitting shirts and slacks. Really large people often have shirts and slacks that are - well like tents to hide some extra in the middle. Wienke who is tall and massive was dressed to the tee. Shirts and slacks had to be tailored and he looks like he could suit up. Recruits and parents wall gathered around him as he commanded the room. Not puffed up - genuinely talking with folks. The player parents are always coming by the tailgate - Saw Pyron's dad and Rhodes' dad - they love that we have a quarterback coach and they love Wienke. Also they love gt degree - which both on them will get in about 1 year. Rhodes is discussing a football staff position.
In the last interview - Wienke was appreciative of Key giving him the title of assistant coach.
All seems rightly aligned.

Can we keep him when FSU throws money at him (local FSU alumni has his jersey as the big prize on their raffle = Wienke is a legend).
I think he stays for 2 years if we can get some more money as we show out on field.
We could have nice things.
Money is our weak point
In my mind Weinke is absolutely a terrific coach for many, many reasons. But the biggest reason he's finding so much success here is that he fits with Brent. He's clearly someone Brent trusts and relies on and I'm positive it's not because he's a "yes man" because Brent doesn't seem like the kind of guy who wants or needs that around him. There are plenty of good QB coaches out in the world who are as good at coaching QBs as Weinke. Not all of them FIT Brent's vision and Brent's mindset for what GT needs.

The main reason I feel OK about the idea of losing coaches is because Brent seems to know exactly what he wants and needs on his staff. That doesn't mean he'll get it right every time but it does mean that if we miss on one he will not let that linger. He'll make a change and fix it. Weinke will be hard to replace when he moves on to bigger things, and I have no doubt he will do so sooner rather than later. I think Brent will have no shortage of qualified applicants because it seems clear he's all about giving those coaches the credit for all the good things and not standing in the way of them advancing their careers. BTW when I say I feel OK it doesn't mean I'm unconcerned or that I feel there will never be negative impact. I'm absolutely concerned about those things. I just feel good about Brent's method of replacing losses.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In my mind Weinke is absolutely a terrific coach for many, many reasons. But the biggest reason he's finding so much success here is that he fits with Brent. He's clearly someone Brent trusts and relies on and I'm positive it's not because he's a "yes man" because Brent doesn't seem like the kind of guy who wants or needs that around him. There are plenty of good QB coaches out in the world who are as good at coaching QBs as Weinke. Not all of them FIT Brent's vision and Brent's mindset for what GT needs.

The main reason I feel OK about the idea of losing coaches is because Brent seems to know exactly what he wants and needs on his staff. That doesn't mean he'll get it right every time but it does mean that if we miss on one he will not let that linger. He'll make a change and fix it. Weinke will be hard to replace when he moves on to bigger things, and I have no doubt he will do so sooner rather than later. I think Brent will have no shortage of qualified applicants because it seems clear he's all about giving those coaches the credit for all the good things and not standing in the way of them advancing their careers. BTW when I say I feel OK it doesn't mean I'm unconcerned or that I feel there will never be negative impact. I'm absolutely concerned about those things. I just feel good about Brent's method of replacing losses.
Also, he seems to get that guys need to be recruited to stay- not w stupid hype- but w genuine appreciation that is purposfully presented. Looking out for the troops.

The toughness of MISSION, MEN, ME is all over our new gt brand of great academics and athletics.

It starts at top w Angel and great donors who helped him hire Batt.

We have so much more potential outreach at gt to the hill, research, walk up fans. Pro fans,, gt grads in atl.
Others are tapped out of potential.in these area.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow

My hope is that Weinke being promoted to AHC says that he's our guy if/when Buster leaves. If we get another 1-2 years out of Faulkner and can replace him with Weinke another couple years, that puts us at an OC succession plan thru 2028 which might as well be an eternity in football world.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My hope is that Weinke being promoted to AHC says that he's our guy if/when Buster leaves. If we get another 1-2 years out of Faulkner and can replace him with Weinke another couple years, that puts us at an OC succession plan thru 2028 which might as well be an eternity in football world.
This draws the question about whether Weinke has aspirations of being a head coach. For that, it also brings into question whether a lot of young coordinators actually want to become head coaches. Right now, there's a lot more to being a D1 college football coach than there used to be. I could see many assistant coaches passing on taking on the head role with all the new headaches coming with it. It will be even more if the salaries start to drop because some of those resources need to pivot towards players. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I think Key and Weinke are very much on the same page regarding how a football program should be run and my opinion is, FWIIW, Weinke will be completely happy at Tech working under Brent as OC/QB coach at a salary approaching 1 mil a year after Buster leaves. I question the thought that Chris will seek a head coaching position, with all the distractions that come with the job, distracting his attention from coaching his players. He seems to me to be 100% ball coach and I hope we are able to keep him for many years.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
There can also be a plus with change in what you are doing, systems can get stale it seems to me, yes there is a risk in change but also people get stale in the same situation sometimes. People on a mission, who have goals and are trying to get there can lead to success for the whole if it does not become all about them. I like where we are and what we're doing. As someone mentioned there seems to be leadership at all levels pulling and working in the same direction and oh how important that is. That has been the big thing missing for a long time IMO.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree.