SPRING GAME DAYYYY!!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
No but it's Sunday so I hold to only 6 beers on Sunday. :)
Good observation on the game.
The top 2 qbs are similarly talented. Very good at reading a base defense, stopping and popping, good accuracy on short and midrange. And good at running if there is a gap.

The 2 qb system needs a larger spread in one of the talants. If one of them was 235# and strong like Tebow = heck yea there is a place for a relief left handed QB.

Key has said he wants similar qbs so we can RUN SAME SCHEME IF QB IS INJURED.

JacketFan137

Banned
?? This is from 2015

While an old, hoary football cliche states, “If you have two quarterbacks, you have no quarterback,” it isn’t necessarily true. In recent years, Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer have found success with a dual-quarterback system.

Spurrier is famous for shuttling quarterbacks in game by game, series by series and even down by down throughout his career at Florida and South Carolina.

Two years ago, starter Connor Shaw played in every game, while backup Dylan Thompson completed at least one pass in eight games. Shaw was the clear No. 1, but Thompson saw time when necessary. And South Carolina won 11 games.

During Florida’s 2006 national title season, senior Chris Leak was the starter, but then-freshman Tim Tebow played a significant role with packages designed for him to run and make things happen. The arrangement worked fine: The Gators won the BCS national title.
the only thing is our qbs don’t really have too different skill sets. we don’t gain an advantage taking one out like you would for tebow vs chris leak.

and again, you rarely see good teams do this, that’s why this article was a little shocked. qb is not the position to do coach collins shenanigans with. name one as the starter, give him the keys and move the program forward on their back. that’s step 1 of being a serious program and not a continual laughingstock

JacketFan137

Banned
I'm generally against having 2 QB sets, but I will say that having 2 QB sets w/ different looks (Phommachanh out of the wildcat) won us multiple games last season. Our QB1 was still able to play pressure free, get in rhythm, and knew his role was to get us into the red zone, Taisun knew he needed to turn 3 into 7. It worked brilliantly because we could not get the ball in the end zone prior to that.
the reason this was necessary was because we can all agree zach gibson is not really starter level for p5 football. haynes and pyron looked like fbs real starters on saturday. we need to only play one

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
the reason this was necessary was because we can all agree zach gibson is not really starter level for p5 football. haynes and pyron looked like fbs real starters on saturday. we need to only play one

I think its Pyron's to lose at this point. Though King definitely could win it in fall pre season.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Pyron made the better throws, but King has a hell of a touch. They're both capable QBs. Gibson will make a serviceable backup. His throws were good, but not as good. King is a gun-slinger, while Pyron reminds me of a certain BC QB that dinked and dunked us to death in 2007 and had a more-than-serviceable career in the pros.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Pyron made the better throws, but King has a hell of a touch. They're both capable QBs. Gibson will make a serviceable backup. His throws were good, but not as good. King is a gun-slinger, while Pyron reminds me of a certain BC QB that dinked and dunked us to death in 2007 and had a more-than-serviceable career in the pros.
Intangibles and leadership matter.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
That was 45 yards on a rope. 37-yard line to 18-yard line is pretty impressive and DJ didn't break stride as the ball fell in the breadbasket.
When the receiver is as wide open as DJ was you often see the qb pull the string or way over throw. That ball was on the money as you said, and did not appear to require a lot of effort on ZP‘s part.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In TFP s first year we had 3 qbs w zero experience and quite frankly minimal potential.
Last year we had all our eggs in one basket. That qb had great running ability, but imo could not be counted on to all the time make very accurate short passes.

Although he could make very long passes he couldn't be counted on to make mid range throws IN TIGHT WINDOW.

IMO, while not a long term plan for being a good offense, against good teams or at key times in every game , MAKING STRONG ACCURATE MIDRANGE THROWS into tight windows IS A DIFFERENCE MAKER.

I think we have 2 qbs that can stop and pop if they have clean pocket and see the defense.
PROGRESS!!