SPRING GAME DAYYYY!!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
KIng's stats are very different depending on which team he was with in this game. 4-11 for 91 yards and 1 TD with Swarm (Gold Jerseys). 9-11 for 185 yards and 2 TD with Wreck'Em (White jerseys).
Offense was in white for both teams; only exception being the QB in green jersey.

Not picking, just pointing it out. Basically, 1st string vs. 2nd string offense stats. (9/11 on the 1st string side).

Last edited:

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
My dear Mr. Hord...us old guys genuinely appreciate your care and concern. You appear to be one of the very, very few younger guys that appear willing to accept the torch and hair shirt. Most (but not all) of us who post here never really got to experience the halicon days of Coach Dodd but were content with the occasional special seasons that have been strung out randomly over the years.

With that being said, us old guys (and gals) would appreciate it if you didn't use WF as some sort of benchmark for our program. There was a time that doing so would be considered sacriligious but I caertainly (and sadly) understand how someone of your age wouln't understand that.
I get it. They used to be the butt of the ACC until like 15 years ago. But if you look at photos from other teams in our conference like BC, UVA, Pitt, Miami. We had around or more people at our spring games.

it’s the spring game. It’s fun but it’s still a spring game. Only the tipppy top of the CFB mountain has good crowds at their spring games.

(PS. I experienced 08, 09, and 14. I’ve seen what this program is capable of. Maybe not natties but we should be a PLAYER in the ACC again.)

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... back to our regularly scheduled program...

"Both offenses faced defenses that were drastically limited in the pressure that they could apply to the quarterbacks or the coverages that defensive coordinator Andrew Thacker could call."

“This is not indicative of the progress our defense has made, I promise you that,” Key said. “There was no blitzing, there was very basic coverage. I’ve kind of told those guys – ‘Thack,’ (linebackers coach Kevin Sherrer) – on the other side to swallow their pride a little bit, and they did that.”

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Just to add on to the Wake Forest thingy….they have one of the smallest if not thee tiniest undergraduate enrollments in all of the FBS schools. Wonderful people, great place to watch a GT road game(always a win when I’ve been there), although not much of a history before Clawson. Al Groh had a few good ones, so did Jim Grobe.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was there today and disappointed with the turnout also, especially on such a beautiful day. I think the crowds for Collins spring games were bigger which makes it even more disappointing. I had thought there had been a groundswell of support for Key which would result in a big turnout. Oh well, same old thing.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
lol what are you talking about. we didn’t run these plays last season?

this was the first time we were competently running RPOs and using motion effectively in forever.
At least they dont long for the good ole Gailey.
days.

The talk of using tight ends in actual pass patterns has been pretty much talk.

Waiting for us to fin before attending could end gt being in power 5 college football. 12 games a year and 2 are w MEGA Power 5. 2 easy games gets us back to even w 8 games to go. Of the 8, 3 are likly bad so that gets us 5 wins. Of the 5 left, 3 are likely good and 2 average so we get 2 wins. Now we are 1 game above 0.500. 7-5 is average. Now occasionally we can get lucky and win 9, but we can just as likely get only 5 wins.

Last edited:

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
I was there today and disappointed with the turnout also, especially on such a beautiful day. I think the crowds for Collins spring games were bigger which makes it even more disappointing. I had thought there had been a groundswell of support for Key which would result in a big turnout. Oh well, same old thing.
You mean, it was only like 2k at our ‘14 spring game so theres that…

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is just ridiculous and lazy. Are you new to the world of Georgia Tech? We haven’t been good at football since we won the Gator Bowl in 2016. We also have had 20 plus years of GT graduates who care nothing about football (maybe 10-15%). It‘s not that we have a bad fanbase it’s that we have a very small and dying away fanbase. It makes no sense to me why so many GT fans blame people who simply don’t exist for an empty stadium. If you want to blame anyone blame the GT admin over the past 3 decades who have chosen to become the “World Institute of Technology“.
That's just the administration doing its job. As a GT alum I have no complaints with how the admin has handled the academic side of things. At the end of the day the athletic side is a much smaller and less important part of the Institute than the academic side. Some of the decisions made have likely made it harder for GT athletics.

Jacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
please no 2 qb stuff. we got rid of the all of the embarrassing stuff when we appointed key. playing 2 qbs all year brings us right back to collins era shenanigans
lots of teams use 2 qbs early when trying to find qb1 when no one qb stands out. Hopefully, it will all work out in the end

JacketFan137

Banned
lots of teams use 2 qbs early when trying to find qb1 when no one qb stands out. Hopefully, it will all work out in the end
i’m a subscriber to the old spurrier adage “if you have 2 qbs you don’t have one”. whoever wins the job needs to be the starter. swapping back and forth does you no favors and you rarely see good teams doing that at any level of football

stech81

Helluva Engineer
i’m a subscriber to the old spurrier adage “if you have 2 qbs you don’t have one”. whoever wins the job needs to be the starter. swapping back and forth does you no favors and you rarely see good teams doing that at any level of football
?? This is from 2015

While an old, hoary football cliche states, “If you have two quarterbacks, you have no quarterback,” it isn’t necessarily true. In recent years, Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer have found success with a dual-quarterback system.

Spurrier is famous for shuttling quarterbacks in game by game, series by series and even down by down throughout his career at Florida and South Carolina.

Two years ago, starter Connor Shaw played in every game, while backup Dylan Thompson completed at least one pass in eight games. Shaw was the clear No. 1, but Thompson saw time when necessary. And South Carolina won 11 games.

During Florida’s 2006 national title season, senior Chris Leak was the starter, but then-freshman Tim Tebow played a significant role with packages designed for him to run and make things happen. The arrangement worked fine: The Gators won the BCS national title.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I'm generally against having 2 QB sets, but I will say that having 2 QB sets w/ different looks (Phommachanh out of the wildcat) won us multiple games last season. Our QB1 was still able to play pressure free, get in rhythm, and knew his role was to get us into the red zone, Taisun knew he needed to turn 3 into 7. It worked brilliantly because we could not get the ball in the end zone prior to that.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
?? This is from 2015

While an old, hoary football cliche states, “If you have two quarterbacks, you have no quarterback,” it isn’t necessarily true. In recent years, Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer have found success with a dual-quarterback system.

Spurrier is famous for shuttling quarterbacks in game by game, series by series and even down by down throughout his career at Florida and South Carolina.

Two years ago, starter Connor Shaw played in every game, while backup Dylan Thompson completed at least one pass in eight games. Shaw was the clear No. 1, but Thompson saw time when necessary. And South Carolina won 11 games.

During Florida’s 2006 national title season, senior Chris Leak was the starter, but then-freshman Tim Tebow played a significant role with packages designed for him to run and make things happen. The arrangement worked fine: The Gators won the BCS national title.
Whoa! Did you stop drinking?