Spring Game 2020

GTMom

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with @JacketGirl... There is just no way to please everyone. Most of us in the south are religious but there are very few that actually do anything on Good Friday besides get a day off and what better way do spend a day off than under the Friday night lights in Atlanta watching the Jackets play football.

JacketGirl

Jolly Good Fellow
I really don't know how to respond to that, other than to say, what rock have you been living under? I even have Jewish friends who know what Good Friday is.
He said he just learned about Good Friday. Take him at his word and just be kind. The fact that you have friends who don’t celebrate it but know about it has nothing to do with anyone else.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I agree with @JacketGirl... There is just no way to please everyone. Most of us in the south are religious but there are very few that actually do anything on Good Friday besides get a day off and what better way do spend a day off than under the Friday night lights in Atlanta watching the Jackets play football.
We were supposed to get a day off on Good Friday if I hadn't retired I few years ago I would go in a quit we didn't get off. :)

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Am I missing something about Good Friday? I just go to Mass, Mass takes an hour. I can go to Football on Friday.

On Sunday I go to Mass, Mass takes an hour. I can go to/watch Football on Sunday.

Jewish tradition holds Saturday as the Sabbath, Jewish people go to synagogue, and can also go to/watch Football on Saturday.

Am I missing some other tradition that keeps people completely bogged down and overwhelmed with Church and Jesus on Good Friday?

Jesus probably up there wondering why everyone uses him for an EXCUSE for everything.

I really am not trying to get anyone to celebrate Good Friday or believe in the Gospel. It just blows my mind that someone could be 28 years old and never heard of it. As I said, that sadly reflects the world we live in. There are people who have never heard of the Holocaust either and, based on interviews I have seen online and on the tube, people who have never even heard of far more recent events. This is either because they have never been taught such things, or they have never bothered to learn. For instance, there are several people at my church who couldn't even tell you what has been going on lately in the world. Just this past Sunday, 3 people told me they did not know about the big virus coming out of China right now. This is a very sad reflection on the world we live in.

Am I missing something about Good Friday? I just go to Mass, Mass takes an hour. I can go to Football on Friday.

On Sunday I go to Mass, Mass takes an hour. I can go to/watch Football on Sunday.

Jewish tradition holds Saturday as the Sabbath, Jewish people go to synagogue, and can also go to/watch Football on Saturday.

Am I missing some other tradition that keeps people completely bogged down and overwhelmed with Church and Jesus on Good Friday?

Jesus probably up there wondering why everyone uses him for an EXCUSE for everything.
I don't do anything special on Good Friday myself, and I even went to the Spring Game several years ago when it was held on Good Friday. However, there are churches that do have Good Friday services throughout the day, some at night. But, as I have already said, it's not the observing of Good Friday that bothers me, it's the not knowing what it is, whether you believe in the significance of the day or not.

Milwaukee

Banned

When did Mom become a mod? You go girl.

Just to be clear, it's not because it's being held on Good Friday that I will not be able to go, although that DOES prevent some from going. My problem, and this is a personal problem, is that it is on Masters Friday, and I cannot leave my out-of-town house-guests alone at my house. Otherwise, I would be there too.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Supersized, that really is a good problem to have. Wish I had Masters tickets...

Back to Friday night spring games. Getting to the game on Friday nights is a royal pain in the a$$ from the north side of town. Traffic is insane.

Last year we came down early (still traffic was bad), had dinner, and caught the first few innings of the baseball game. Left and went to the spring game. Then caught the last inning. But it still seems odd to have to sporting events overlapping.

As with any function, not everyone will like the date and time.

Supersized, that really is a good problem to have. Wish I had Masters tickets...

Back to Friday night spring games. Getting to the game on Friday nights is a royal pain in the a$$ from the north side of town. Traffic is insane.

Last year we came down early (still traffic was bad), had dinner, and caught the first few innings of the baseball game. Left and went to the spring game. Then caught the last inning. But it still seems odd to have to sporting events overlapping.

As with any function, not everyone will like the date and time.
Although I DO have tickets for the Masters, I quit going to the tournament 10 years ago. My houseguests have tickets of their own, and they have been staying with me for almost 20 years.

I contacted Tech about the scheduling of the game and was told that the prior weekend is Final Four weekend, and Tech being the host school has all its resources tied up. That makes sense.
The weekend after Easter weekend is the weekend before exams. So that makes sense. But we had it the weekend after exams last year, so I don't understand why that was not considered again.

I also heard tonight that the mutts' spring game is the weekend before exams, which proves once again that with the mutts, education is apparently not important when it comes to athletics.