Spring Game 2020

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The Masters? Lol

Super is right that the biggest sports story that Friday night will be who made the cut at the Masters, but I don't think it affects us as much as he thinks. Biggest golf tournament in the world and a huge news vacuum. That being said, unless you're a factory there is no real news potential for any schools spring game. We will get the standard quick take on the local ATL channels that the spring game was held and on Saturday there will be some ink in the papers about it. I don't know that we will suffer any from having it on that evening. The bigger issue to me personally is that it is on Good Friday, so I likely will not be coming, but again, that's a personal issue as I realize the Institute does not schedule around my religious calendar.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think CGC likes the impression that BDS under the lights gives to recruits. And doing it on a Friday night means no competition. Ultimately, the Spring Game is just a little bonus, anyway. And it's free, so what you get is what you get.

I don't think The Masters would ever be a consideration in scheduling. Spring Games get little press under even the best of circumstances.

I think CGC likes the impression that BDS under the lights gives to recruits. And doing it on a Friday night means no competition. Ultimately, the Spring Game is just a little bonus, anyway. And it's free, so what you get is what you get.

I don't think The Masters would ever be a consideration in scheduling. Spring Games get little press under even the best of circumstances.
Little press coverage is better than virtually none.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Over on JOL, folks are lamenting having to choose between their faith, family and Georgia tech football.

I remember reading an article about the failing NFL due to Sunday games and the impact it was having on attendance and revenue. Decent Americans just don’t want to have to choose between the Sabbath and pigskin. Oh wait, never mind, I didn’t read that because it isn’t happening.

I’ve resigned myself to the belief that these boards attract the “special” fans for the most part.

Uh huh. The NFL has been playing on Sunday for at least the last 90 years and in that time revenue and the value of franchises has gone up exponentially (and that's an understatement).

"Decent Americans"? Hoo boy.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I use the off season to practice drinking beer.

Oh c’mom Strech, veterans don’t need practice, the off season means you can get up during a commercial, go to the bathroom, grab a beer and chips and leisurely go bother the wife. There is no pressure to get back before the commercials are over ! That’s not practice. Game day is pressure packed live action.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Also collides with a baseball conference series at home vs. NC State. If they had waited a week the baseball team would be on the road and you would avoid Masters week. I’m sure there’s a lot of logic at play behind the scenes, but on the surface it’s a strange decision. Maybe they know that no other school will be playing spring games that weekend and they want to be the only show going on for recruits.
Thanks for letting me know about the baseball series. Will monitor to see if they have a friday night game. We drive 5 hours so finding something easy to do on friday night would be a plus. This time we flip it to find something to do on Saturday

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Oh c’mom Strech, veterans don’t need practice, the off season means you can get up during a commercial, go to the bathroom, grab a beer and chips and leisurely go bother the wife. There is no pressure to get back before the commercials are over ! That’s not practice. Game day is pressure packed live action.
I have to stay in shape. ( you know the big beer belly) it takes lot the work.

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I too live in Augusta. I would dread trying to hop on the interstate during masters week. I don’t even like to leave the house cause traffic is so crazy.

The thought of driving to Atlanta during masters week haunts me lol. I agree. Weird timing.

WesGT:

Rent your Augusta house and come on down.

WesGT:

Rent your Augusta house and come on down.
You have obviously never rented your house out. It's one thing for me to have guests each year WHILE I AM HERE, but I rented the house out once, and it was a royal pain in the azz getting it ready, knowing I would not be here. You have to store anything of value and take a chance that nothing there will be damaged while you are gone. Unless you are wealthy enough to hire professional house cleaners to get it ready and then clean it up afterwards, it is definitely not worth the effort. The one year I did rent mine out, I hired a lady from my church to help clean in advance and to come in every day while the renters were there. I got off incredibly cheap, and she did a fantastic job (plus the renters proved very responsible), but that is not always the case.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
You people totally miss the point. Tech gets virtually no coverage for the spring games to begin with. With every decent sports writer and announcer in Augusta for the Masters, who, other than Ken Sugiura, is going to bother with covering the Tech spring game? And for those people who ALWAYS have obligations on the Easter weekend, they will not be there either. I doubt there will be 10,000 at the game on that date.
Newsflash- nobody from the AJC but Ken Sugiura was ever going to cover our spring scrimmage no matter what the date is

Newsflash- nobody from the AJC but Ken Sugiura was ever going to cover our spring scrimmage no matter what the date is
Mark Bradley and Steve Hummer have also covered it in the past, and reps from other sports news sources, some national, have too. Granted not to the extent that other schools' spring games are covered, but still more than just Ken Sugiura.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Mark Bradley and Steve Hummer have also covered it in the past, and reps from other sports news sources, some national, have too. Granted not to the extent that other schools' spring games are covered, but still more than just Ken Sugiura.
Well, in the case of Bradley, I wouldn’t really say he covered our Spring Game. “Trashed it” would be a more accurate characterization.

GT_receivers

Jolly Good Fellow
I just saw that the Spring Game has been scheduled for Friday night April 10. That is the Friday of Masters Week. I realize that not many people have Masters tickets, although I do. But the Spring Game never gets much coverage to begin with, and this particular date will result in virtually no coverage at all. Additionally, a member of the Tech golf team will be playing in the tournament. This is just STUPID on Tech's part.
Its been a problem the last couple of years.