Spread Option Offense Part 2 - An Option QB

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Any chance that JT can put on some meaningful weight? Godhigh was a small dude, but he was built like a tank and certainly not fragile. I am not suggesting JT get that big, but he probably could use to have some additional meat on his bones.

He has been putting on weight since he has been here, will continue to do so this off-season.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Justin Thomas has the quickness/speed/acceleration/ etc... To make busted or poorly executed plays produce positive yardage even when they shouldn't. He is a game changer imo. A player that can make everyone around him look good.

You know... Initially I agree that a bigger more powerful runner is better in short yardage situations especially in our scheme. But I am wondering if JT presents an advantage in short yardage? He is smaller and this could allow him to squirt through holes quicker and easier before defenders can react quick enough... Just a thought.

I do worry about whether or not he can take the pounding he is going to take in this offense though.
I think having the ball at the 1 yard line with Justin taking snaps may make the defense way more conscious of the edges, thereby creating potential gaps. However, when you watch the development of the plays we typically run there, it usually ends up with the bullish nature of the QB being utilized. The QB follow is hard to stop, but it usually requires the QB pound his way as much as he does pick his way, if you know what I mean. In any case, we should be ready to do both.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I know this will probably cause stressful thoughts for some but,...
I keep thinking about JT compared to Reggie Ball. Close to the same measurables, though JT is faster. If JT has some of Reggie's traits, that wouldn't be a bad thing. Reggie was very durable. Reggie also had a good arm, especially when considered for this system. So, I hope JT is a faster and more composed version of Reggie (including his durability and his throwing ability). If that were the case, I think we're looking at an ideal CPJ QB.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think having the ball at the 1 yard line with Justin taking snaps may make the defense way more conscious of the edges, thereby creating potential gaps. However, when you watch the development of the plays we typically run there, it usually ends up with the bullish nature of the QB being utilized. The QB follow is hard to stop, but it usually requires the QB pound his way as much as he does pick his way, if you know what I mean. In any case, we should be ready to do both.
I think with Justin at the goal line we have the ability to bull our way or finesse it. We can always hand off to the Bback to pound the middle, but now we're lethal on the edge. I say run the bread and butter inside veer and let the D pick their poison. Heck, we could run play action and throw a pass like FSU did to win the natty.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I think with Justin at the goal line we have the ability to bull our way or finesse it. We can always hand off to the Bback to pound the middle, but now we're lethal on the edge. I say run the bread and butter inside veer and let the D pick their poison. Heck, we could run play action and throw a pass like FSU did to win the natty.

+1

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I know this will probably cause stressful thoughts for some but,...
I keep thinking about JT compared to Reggie Ball. Close to the same measurables, though JT is faster. If JT has some of Reggie's traits, that wouldn't be a bad thing. Reggie was very durable. Reggie also had a good arm, especially when considered for this system. So, I hope JT is a faster and more composed version of Reggie (including his durability and his throwing ability). If that were the case, I think we're looking at an ideal CPJ QB.

Vamos, I was really starting to like you... Then you dropped the Reggie Bomb... :confused::sour::wtf:

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Vamos, I was really starting to like you... Then you dropped the Reggie Bomb... :confused::sour::wtf:
Ha!
I played with Reggie one year. Got a sack on him once as a scout-teamer (typed while clearing throat and sticking chest out). I saw good in him that fans wouldn't have gotten to see. He made his own bed with the fans and has to lie in it, but fans still don't really know the guy. 2 games could've changed the opinions a ton - Ugag and ACCCG '06, games he played hurt in.

He ran a lot bigger than he was. Hoping to see the same from JT.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ha!
I played with Reggie one year. I saw good in him that fans wouldn't have gotten to see. He made his own bed with the fans and has to lie in it, but fans still don't really know the guy. 2 games could've changed the opinions a ton - Ugag and ACCCG '06, games he played hurt in.

The one play Reggie made that I will always remember was against UGA. Reggie was running out of bound, and intead to tucking to the sidelins, he turned up field just so he could lay a lick on Thomas Davis. That hit put Davis on his backside.

For those who don't know who Thomas Davis is, just look at the Carolina Panther's roster. He's an LB now, but in college he was one of the hardest hitting and most feared safeties.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Say what you want about Reggie but I would love for more guys to play with the passion he did...he almost cared too much.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Ha!
I played with Reggie one year. Got a sack on him once as a scout-teamer (typed while clearing throat and sticking chest out). I saw good in him that fans wouldn't have gotten to see. He made his own bed with the fans and has to lie in it, but fans still don't really know the guy. 2 games could've changed the opinions a ton - Ugag and ACCCG '06, games he played hurt in.

You know there is one thing about Reggie that no one could argue and that is he had all the tools to be an amazing QB.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I still love Ball to this day and wish he could play in PJ's system. He played his heart out. Now, it is true that he could be very frustrating, made a number of questionable decisions, and didn't progress as much as fans liked. But he always seemed to play as hard as he could for the name on the front of the jersey. I put the fact that we couldn't get someone in to beat him out on the coaches, not on him.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
Reggie was an absolute fierce competitor that just made some real bonehead mistakes from time to time and then let his emotions get the best of him. I too would liked to have seen him in CPJ's O.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Is it fair to say that Vad would have been better in Chan's offense and Reggie in CPJ's offense? Just a theory...

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe Jaybo in 08 when Booker had to play but I can't remember why Jaybo was out. I don't recall Tevin ever missing a single play except for the "helmet off" rule.
That is correct. Jaybo got knocked out late in the Duke game (concussion I believe) so Booker started against GW. Then Nesbitt came back against Clemson (thank goodness!!!)

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
That is correct. Jaybo got knocked out late in the Duke game (concussion I believe) so Booker started against GW. Then Nesbitt came back against Clemson (thank goodness!!!)

and won :)...The game Bay Bay had a awful drop and then the game winning TD catch...Burnett also had 2 picks, was a fun game.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
Tevin wasnt a physically opposing QB size wise 6'1 205 but he was always able to find a hole to squirt through on the goal line and he was a slippery guy. If JT possesses those traits he should be fine in short yardage.