Spread on Clemson Game

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I see this one as very, very ugly. It is college football, and very, very strange things can happen, but I cannot see us losing by less than 25. I wish the talent spread was not as large as it is. I truly believe our talent level is at about 40-50% that of a Clemson right now. Coaching can do a lot, but that is too large of a delta to overcome.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We can beat the spread because we have done it before when least expected. We won't, I am afraid, because we have no option game, can't throw the ball, and that Clemson defensive front is nobody to mess around with. Chunk out their first two play-everybody-on-the-roster-for-experience games. (Against GSU they had three-deeps and freshmen paying in the first quarter.) This is conference play, and Clemson's NC push begins in earnest. Not a good time on the schedule for us. And I hate to write that.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The oddsters probably feel Dabo will pull off the heat some in the 4th quarter and we will get some garbage points to narrow the spread.
He is not one to run it up regardless of the pollsters. The problem might be that his two and three-deeps are very talented players. (Two of his QBs transferred and he is still three deep there.) So he will sub both to keep from piling on and to protect his starters for next week.

Deleted member 2897

TaQuon: Toe
Marshall: Ankle
Bryan: Lower body
Dolphus: Wrist
Sanders: Collarbone
Benson: Knee
Lucas Johnson: Leg
Team: Ego

On a serious note, Bryant either will not play, or is subject to getting reinjured (all my opinion) and being replaced by Trevor Lawrence. Not sure it matters if you pull out a QB who took you to the CFP and replace him with the single best-to-be QB in college football.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
TaQuon: Toe
Marshall: Ankle
Bryan: Lower body
Dolphus: Wrist
Sanders: Collarbone
Benson: Knee
Lucas Johnson: Leg
Team: Ego

On a serious note, Bryant either will not play, or is subject to getting reinjured (all my opinion) and being replaced by Trevor Lawrence. Not sure it matters if you pull out a QB who took you to the CFP and replace him with the single best-to-be QB in college football.
Well, if there is an defensive advantage it is that Lawrence cannot run the ball. 6-6 is just a lot of length to get into motion. And his throwing motion is still HS, slung from shoulder and head level and not thrown over the top to take advantage of that 6-6. Better take advantage of it now because it won't be that way by the end of the season. I am not as down on the defense as some. They've actually played some good ball, and we should have been able to win on a 24-point defensive effort. Unfortunately all we have to go on are the three games we have played, and our offense is in some deep weeds just as Clemson's defense is starting to meld, line with the D backs.

Milwaukee

Banned
Well, if there is an defensive advantage it is that Lawrence cannot run the ball. 6-6 is just a lot of length to get into motion. And his throwing motion is still HS, slung from shoulder and head level and not thrown over the top to take advantage of that 6-6. Better take advantage of it now because it won't be that way by the end of the season. I am not as down on the defense as some. They've actually played some good ball, and we should have been able to win on a 24-point defensive effort. Unfortunately all we have to go on are the three games we have played, and our offense is in some deep weeds just as Clemson's defense is starting to meld, line with the D backs.

Huh? You saw what Blake Barnett did, correct?

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Clemson played about as sloppy as they could on offense and still beat GSU like a drum.

If they play as bad as they did last weekend we may cover the spread, maybe.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Clemson played about as sloppy as they could on offense and still beat GSU like a drum.

If they play as bad as they did last weekend we may cover the spread, maybe.
I would like to see an accounting of how many of his players Swinney got into the game. He was subbing heavy even in the first quarter, apparently trying to mix some of his freshmen and No. twos in with the starters. I just know a bunch played. And if they play as badly Saturday as they did in the first half, none of his players will be wearing a hide in practice next week. Still, it might be uphill but we can compete.

northgajacket

Banned
Lets be real. The game is probably gonna be so ugly that ABC will have to stop airing the game because it will be too graphic for daytime network television.

2016Cat

Georgia Tech Fan
IF Clemson gets a big lead-and who knows - Dabo loves to play a lot of players and does not try to rub it in--unless it is South Carolina.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I just hope we don’t suffer any more injuries from this game as more injuries could diminish any hope we have of salvaging even a mediocre season.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
We haven't even come close to playing a good game yet, not sure if we will. One thing I know about Tech, when they knock you down and make you feel as though they will never beat anyone, they surprise you. Also the same on the other side.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I just hope we don’t suffer any more injuries from this game as more injuries could diminish any hope we have of salvaging even a mediocre season.
Even an optimist has to see hard times ahead, but I still have hope. Johnson's teams have some history of playing well late, including a historic run through November in 2014, when we beat Pitt, Va., NC State, Clemson and Georgia to close out the season before losing the ACC title to FSU by two points. But yes, in 2014 we ran the option offense very well -- only Washington ever ran it better at GT -- and were a distinct deep passing threat. But if the folks over on the NC coast can get through Florence, then there is still hope for a football season.

I know. One has nothing to do with the other, but I am reaching for anything.