Sports Illustrated: Why Is College Football Attendance Tanking?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
No one has mentioned the TV timeouts. It's not that bad if you are at home, chances are you're DVRing the game and at least you have the freedom to get up and refill your drink, etc.

But at the game? You're already cramped in your seats, can barely get out to go anywhere, and every 5 minutes is a TV timeouts. Couple that with replay, the prevalance of no huddle hurry up and the game day experience for the in person fan has generally gotten worse.

Now there's even a guy with a timer letting you know how long the TV timeouts will last, which somehow makes it worse.
For some reason I never had an issue w this person displaying the between round sign at boxing matches. I found myself watching the person and not the sign???

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
You can (rightfully so) put some of the blame on TV, but I don't think that's the major factor. High school games aren't attended nearly as much as they used to be. I watched some of the state play off games on tv, and some of the home stands weren't even half full. This can be due to a variety of factors that include momma doesn't want little Timmy to get hurt playing football, Timmy would rather stay home playing on his gaming system, and there isn't as much of a sense of community in supporting the local team as there used to be. Add that to what has previously been mentioned, such as costs, games on tv, the rise in soccer (where Timmy won't get hurt ;)), etc., and I think you'll see football attendance continue to decline.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You can (rightfully so) put some of the blame on TV, but I don't think that's the major factor. High school games aren't attended nearly as much as they used to be. I watched some of the state play off games on tv, and some of the home stands weren't even half full. This can be due to a variety of factors that include momma doesn't want little Timmy to get hurt playing football, Timmy would rather stay home playing on his gaming system, and there isn't as much of a sense of community in supporting the local team as there used to be. Add that to what has previously been mentioned, such as costs, games on tv, the rise in soccer (where Timmy won't get hurt ;)), etc., and I think you'll see football attendance continue to decline.

Good point - it can't all be TV if High School attendance is down, too. Maybe it will morph into simulated football, a kind of virtual reality.

Tech is good at that stuff so we should be okay...

Jmonty71

Banned
Until programs upgrade these 100 year old stadiums the attendance will continue to fall. No reason each seat in BDS shouldn’t be fold down, just no excuse, should be a priority for us. Adidas and TV deal money should’ve all went to renovating our 100+ year old stadium.
My concern with this would be, stadium improvements would result in increased ticket prices. The money would have to come from somewhere.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
As the ticket prices increase, the cost per hour of entertainment increases UNLESS one expands the overall entertainment time with pregame and postgame activities. In other words, the longer the ticket holder is entertained, the greater value he perceives comes with the ticket. Tech should encourage and facilitate tailgating all day on game day, including after the game. Concerts, activities/skills contests, etc for kids on the field after the teams have cleared. Set up a carnival with kiddie rides on the parking deck. Clowns, jugglers, balloons. Basically, emulate a Carnival or Disney cruise line ship with lots and lots to do - something to appeal to everyone.
Are you kidding?

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN+, FSN, ACCN, SECN, BTN, etc...
Once upon a time, there were at most 3 games you could get on TV at any given time. Now you are hard pressed to not find something to watch, more than likely your own team.

Milwaukee

Banned
Early 2000s we had to order the ESPN Gameplan PPV package in order to get out of market games. It separated the men from the boys and the diehards from the casuals.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I may have missed it but no one has mentioned what to me is the single most reason that there is a loss of interest in attending football games is that they take the better part of 4 hours to play a game. It takes almost 4 hours for a total of 25 minutes of action. I don't know if many would have any idea but that is a fact. There is an average of less than 25 minutes in a game in which a play is being run. Back through the 60's to into maybe the 80's a game would last approximately 2-1/2 hours when not televised which most were not. Now with approximately 30 stoppages for ball exchange timeouts, 12 team timeouts (3 per team per half), 4 or 5 instant (that takes 6 - 8 minutes each), and anywhere from 15 to 20 injury timeouts (for many years a player with an upper body injury or minor leg injury hobbled off the f##king field - now they have to lay on the field for 5 minutes if they have an arm, wrist or stomach injury!) - there are approximately 1-1/2 hours of commercial timeouts. All during that time we get to listen to loud a**ed rap music blaring so loud you can't hear any school band even if you are sitting in front of it! Sitting in front of nice big led tv quaffing a 75 cent beer while fast forwarding through commercials is much more pleasing.

If I was back living in Atlanta I would never miss a home game. Nothing beats being there and have documented many times how I do come back. I would also go to away games at Clemson and UGA. One day soon I will be back. But I may be rare as I love college football and GT more than most. And of course grew up going to all the home games way back as early as 1969. Ii think that the younger fans don't attend because they never got the same experience I did and like most these days....just want to watch on a screen.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I am waiting for the day when VR headsets and unobtrusive cameras placed all around a stadium allow people to virtually attend games. And the VR experience could be similar to that of real game attendance, where you pay more for views/an experience closer to the field of play. Most expensive of course would be having your VR experience from the actual sideline of your team.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN+, FSN, ACCN, SECN, BTN, etc...
Once upon a time, there were at most 3 games you could get on TV at any given time. Now you are hard pressed to not find something to watch, more than likely your own team.

Football is programming content. Doesn’t matter the attendance or the record.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Fun thing is, back to the Dodd’s Luck era, that’s what led to Tech attendance waning. In the 50’s, we were the only game in town.

I agree that’s important. But Atlanta was what, 500,000? Its 10x that now. And the fan base is smaller. Not a marketing success story.

GTFLETCH

Banned
#1 factor – and the one you hear first from most fans – is the financial cost: Over the past 20 years ticket prices have risen at roughly three times the rate of inflation. If you think of any consumer good, like buying milk or clothes, ticket prices are growing at a faster rate than the other things people buy. It’s actually a positive statement that attendance is not dramatically down considering how much more expensive it is to attend. The trend of increasing prices is likely to continue. Attendance in the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and MLS has been flat or down by single-digit percentages in their most recent seasons. Despite this, there are many ways GTAA and AD TStan can work to improve attendance.

Leveling the playing field with the home viewing experience, timely video board replays, mobile phone connectivity, better food and beverage experience — those are just a few examples of possible in-stadium improvements. Facilitating great tailgating encourages people to come early and stay late to avoid or minimize the traffic, while at the same time lowering fans’ sensitivity to wins and losses. UCF athletics announced a new tailgating concept called “Covegating” that includes a lazy river, swimming cove, sand volleyball and more – even the students are given the space and support to tailgate.

In summary, give fans more value for their entertainment dollar. The competition for time and money won’t slow down. Fans should reach out to their favorite school and share solutions and ideas rather than complaints.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/11...-ideas-for-getting-fans-back-to-the-stadiums/

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Red, I think you are the only one that actually read the article and commented on it. It’s funny to read all these posts, that didn’t even bother to read what they were commenting on. Along with what you said, it was interesting that some were passing up the game day experience because their friends were watching at a bar where they could drink and watch. It makes me think alcohol sales will help some. The other thing is with CFP, the students think more games are meaningless. They want to go to big games that have all the attention only. If only small handful of teams are capable of winning the championship, the other schools are going to have to come up with other ways to attract attendance.

I think this has merit. A lot of people, especially students, leave the game and watch at local sports bars. If you want attendance, put those bars and restaurants in the stadium with viewing areas.

Also, there are too many games. Restrict the supply. Go to an 8 game schedule and playoffs start from there. Fewer injuries too.

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
I am waiting for the day when VR headsets and unobtrusive cameras placed all around a stadium allow people to virtually attend games. And the VR experience could be similar to that of real game attendance, where you pay more for views/an experience closer to the field of play. Most expensive of course would be having your VR experience from the actual sideline of your team.
I’ve been thinking of a way to implement and sell this. It wouldn’t be for everyone, but it’s a really cool concept. Current bandwidth wouldn’t allow for live streaming at high resolutions, but you could download an event.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'll echo what boomer said, attendance across every sport at every level is down. Seems to me that priorities are shifting which isn't necessarily the worst thing. Time is valuable and there are more fulfilling means of entertainment than being emotionally invested in an outcome you cannot control.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
The games just aren't as competitive to me. You can pretty much name the top 8 teams every year thus making it increasingly boring