Sports Illustrated: Why Is College Football Attendance Tanking?

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
What's the difference? They would all still be on TV.

Right. And those games would cost even more to attend than end of season games do now. Making it even harder for the average fan to be able to afford to attend. Just watch Facebook to see how much playoff and national championship tickets are going for, and how the average fan is priced right out of the game now. So TV would become an even more preferred method of viewing then.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Right. And those games would cost even more to attend than end of season games do now. Making it even harder for the average fan to be able to afford to attend. Just watch Facebook to see how much playoff and national championship tickets are going for, and how the average fan is priced right out of the game now. So TV would become an even more preferred method of viewing then.

Back 50, 60 years ago when you had just a few games on, televised games were a great promotion. Now TV = too much of a good thing.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Sports Illustrated: Unexcused Absence: Why Is College Football Attendance Tanking?
As college football prepares to crown its latest champion, the game is facing a much bigger question than Clemson or LSU: namely, why are crowds at stadiums across the country shrinking? University administrators have tried fix after fix—but without ever diagnosing a root cause beyond 'kids these days.' To get to the heart of the problem, we set out on a journey across the college football landscape.

I agree with lots of the sentiments above. That being said, I'm interested that SI went to Florida, Clemson, and Ohio State - and neglected to visit Nebraska or Notre Dame. (Yeah, they mentioned ND - but Nebraska has maintained its sell-out record since the mid-1960's, and continues to do so, even amidst down seasons and all of the headwinds mentioned above).

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with lots of the sentiments above. That being said, I'm interested that SI went to Florida, Clemson, and Ohio State - and neglected to visit Nebraska or Notre Dame. (Yeah, they mentioned ND - but Nebraska has maintained its sell-out record since the mid-1960's, and continues to do so, even amidst down seasons and all of the headwinds mentioned above).
yeah but what else is there to do in Nebraska??? :D

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

It may be that the number of people requesting tickets at Neb. and ND is down, but is still exceeding capacity for now. Just throwing that out there as a possibility.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Cap the spending (including salaries) high enough to run the program but low enough so that everybody has a shot at being competitive, combined with expanding the playoffs. There should not be any automatic wins and losses. If the games come down to who plays the best, who coaches the best, and which way the ball bounces with the talent being seriously more equal the fan interest will go up, especially if all teams have a reasonable shot at the playoff championship. To make this work may require a two tier set up to for economic issues.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Sellout streak doesn’t equate to a full stadium. A lot of corporations buy tickets in bulk to give/sell to employees. Does it still benefit the school? Sure. Does it mean attendance as a whole isn’t on the decline? Nope.

Jmonty71

Banned
Reason why attendance is down? There are numerous reasons. Just to go over 3

1. Cost has to be #1. Ticket prices go higher and higher, each year. Some schools maintain costs and some do not. The bigger the product, the higher the cost.

2. Different world from 10 years ago. We are in an age where people rather talk over computers, text and emails versus face to face. The world of football isn't much different. The number of people that are introverted is growing. This due to things like social media, lack of trust in the world and other things.

3. Fair Weather fans. Face it... If you have a program that isn't winning games, the crowds go down. Once upon a time, you went to a game to support your team. Now, you support your team (when they are winning). When Bama declines, I bet their fan base reduces by 30% or more. We are in a world of instant gratification. Must win now... If you aren't winning, the interest is lost.

Just my 3 thoughts. I know these sound crude. But, I wanted to be honest. As the younger generation gets older, I expect to see the decline in most sports go down. Teams that are winning will see much less decline versus teams that aren't winning.

slugboy

Staff member
College football attendance and ratings aren't changing in isolation to other activities. Other sports and pasttimes are being affected.
This report is two years old, but the NFL is having issues too: https://www.samford.edu/sports-analytics/fans/2018/2018-NFL-Support-A-Preview. Attendance hit a sharp decline in 2017, and viewership is down. It's not just the cheap TVs, but they're a part of the puzzle.
NBA ratings (and viewership) are down: https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/tv-ratings-nba-1203427688/ . This source says NBA Attendance is steady, but I see a ton of empty seats there: https://www.statista.com/statistics...me-attendance-per-team-in-the-nba-since-2006/. The arenas are smaller, which might limit the market supply and help keep attendance steady, but I think the NBA is using optimistic figures for attendance.
The NHL technically has viewership: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratings_for_The_NHL_on_NBC. I think it's getting worse.
Movies are affected, too. Total box office receipts are up, but tickets sold have been in decline for a long time: https://www.the-numbers.com/market/.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Reason why attendance is down? There are numerous reasons. Just to go over 3

1. Cost has to be #1. Ticket prices go higher and higher, each year. Some schools maintain costs and some do not. The bigger the product, the higher the cost.

2. Different world from 10 years ago. We are in an age where people rather talk over computers, text and emails versus face to face. The world of football isn't much different. The number of people that are introverted is growing. This due to things like social media, lack of trust in the world and other things.

3. Fair Weather fans. Face it... If you have a program that isn't winning games, the crowds go down. Once upon a time, you went to a game to support your team. Now, you support your team (when they are winning). When Bama declines, I bet their fan base reduces by 30% or more. We are in a world of instant gratification. Must win now... If you aren't winning, the interest is lost.

Just my 3 thoughts. I know these sound crude. But, I wanted to be honest. As the younger generation gets older, I expect to see the decline in most sports go down. Teams that are winning will see much less decline versus teams that aren't winning.

#2 is a HUGE reason. When I was growing up, high school football was king and our entire student body went on Friday nights (and then just continued to go on Saturdays in college). HS school football today seems down as well. My kids much rather play video games, etc. than watch (even on TV) a football game with old dad. A couple of times I suggested we go to a HS game and they thought I was crazy (granted their HS doesn't have a football team but some good ball is played at other schools here). The primary reason my kids would watch, say the Super Bowl, was because they got extra credit points for knowing the score!

Of course, I do have a daughter who is part of the Gold Fellas, so she has kept up her part of the bargain through GT - maybe not going to every game but a lot of them.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hoover’s comments drove home how when we talk about falling attendance in college football, it’s often speculation divorced from students’ actual lives. But this isn’t a referendum on kids these days. It’s a referendum on college these days, which affects college football these days. It sounds obvious, but what did you think would happen when students facing astronomical tuition bills were asked to pay more to watch less competitive games? Declining attendance isn’t a sign of moral weakness or a lack of emotional investment, it’s a sign of shifting realities. If I learned anything on college campuses this fall, it’s this: Fans still believe in the gospel of football. They’ll even pay for it. It just has to be worth the cost.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Sports Illustrated: Unexcused Absence: Why Is College Football Attendance Tanking?
As college football prepares to crown its latest champion, the game is facing a much bigger question than Clemson or LSU: namely, why are crowds at stadiums across the country shrinking? University administrators have tried fix after fix—but without ever diagnosing a root cause beyond 'kids these days.' To get to the heart of the problem, we set out on a journey across the college football landscape.
The schools/conferences are catering to TV and telling the paying customers to take a hike. And many are doing just that.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Hoover’s comments drove home how when we talk about falling attendance in college football, it’s often speculation divorced from students’ actual lives. But this isn’t a referendum on kids these days. It’s a referendum on college these days, which affects college football these days. It sounds obvious, but what did you think would happen when students facing astronomical tuition bills were asked to pay more to watch less competitive games? Declining attendance isn’t a sign of moral weakness or a lack of emotional investment, it’s a sign of shifting realities. If I learned anything on college campuses this fall, it’s this: Fans still believe in the gospel of football. They’ll even pay for it. It just has to be worth the cost.
Red, I think you are the only one that actually read the article and commented on it. It’s funny to read all these posts, that didn’t even bother to read what they were commenting on. Along with what you said, it was interesting that some were passing up the game day experience because their friends were watching at a bar where they could drink and watch. It makes me think alcohol sales will help some. The other thing is with CFP, the students think more games are meaningless. They want to go to big games that have all the attention only. If only small handful of teams are capable of winning the championship, the other schools are going to have to come up with other ways to attract attendance.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Yet another 2 cents’ worth: As has been said here several times, the broadcasters and streaming services, along with improvements in video quality, have made it more convenient/enjoyable/affordable to watch games at home or in a bar with friends. If schools depend on ticket revenue to continue football programs, then the television folks are going to have to replace that lost revenue, or they’ll find they’ve killed the golden goose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Cap the spending (including salaries) high enough to run the program but low enough so that everybody has a shot at being competitive, combined with expanding the playoffs. There should not be any automatic wins and losses. If the games come down to who plays the best, who coaches the best, and which way the ball bounces with the talent being seriously more equal the fan interest will go up, especially if all teams have a reasonable shot at the playoff championship. To make this work may require a two tier set up to for economic issues.
P5 autobids are a must imho, and I love the idea of say a $10-12MM staff budget (coach and off field, not including seperately negotiated endorsement contracts) would go a long way to leveling the playing field

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I think this is a no-brainer.

As many here have already said, it all comes down to cost. I can watch games on tv, but I choose to go to the games because I know that the experience of being at a game is much, much different from watching a game on tv. The emotional impact is greater and it is, simply, more fun overall. Its an outing, like going to a concert.

But I'm retired and, between my wife and myself, season tickets to see Tech games are not a crippling expense. We saved a lot and now we are looking actively for ways to have fun blowing it. But this is definitely not the case for either students or working families. There the whole question of going out is fraught, even for a decent pizza. Given the alternatives, I can see why many people would stay at home rather then pay the price.

But what is driving the prices? Well, that's easy; it's the cost of coaches and the programs themselves. Until recently, that was a cost that could be absorbed by depending on people like me who were used to going to the games regardless and were willing to pay up. This is no longer the case. If programs want to get more people in the stands, they need to lower the cost of going to the games. And that means lower salaries for the coaches and other staff, lower prices (and better quality) for the concessions. and a willingness to change pricing to meet the expected performance of the teams involved (i.e. if the team performed poorly last season, lower the prices and vice versa). If this is done, I can almost guarantee that crowds will increase.

I'm 73. If there is one thing that comes through from a lifetime of experience with my fellow humans it is that they will respond to price incentives. Period.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Until programs upgrade these 100 year old stadiums the attendance will continue to fall. No reason each seat in BDS shouldn’t be fold down, just no excuse, should be a priority for us. Adidas and TV deal money should’ve all went to renovating our 100+ year old stadium.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’m not sure many get the overall picture here because the soundbites weren’t front loaded.

Students and regulars fans are willing to pay for the game day experience. They pay with their time & their money. They are not willing to pay for:

A. Watching blowouts of some patsy
B. Bad product. You don’t necessarily have to win every game but they want to see competitiveness. On both sides of the ball.
C. Gameday experience. If your friends are not there because it’s not fun, then you stop showing up eventually.

Lastly you got the price vs value argument. You can charge $100k for a Festiva and you’ll have no market share. The price point is much lower. This is GT’s dilemma. We need the cash to fund the Big Boy football, we don’t yet have the product people think they want and we’re gambling that the duration people will be pissed will be shorter than the transition to the new plan.

I can tell you from first hand that winning back customers is tough. We’d better figure out what the few customers we have right now want, satisfy them, and come up with some strategies to recruit some more customers. Frankly I would have held prices as best we could, but at the end of the day you have a forecaster divining how much $$ you’ll generate at this price point compared to others.

This coaching transition is not just about a style of football. It’s about revenue- getting more donations to upgrade facilities where we’ve lost the arms race because you sold people on a new vision where the other had gone stale, getting more tickets sold by peddling the changes & hope for the future, getting more people at the game to get more money from concessions and merchandise sales.

It’s an enormous financial gamble. You see big programs struggling and we’re swimming against the current thinking we can get to where they were a decade ago in the next decade & hoping the landscape hasn’t changed so much by the time we get there that we never really wanted/needed to get there in the first place.