Speculative question: has Tstan "coached up" CPJ

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think Coach makes it harder to be a reporter.

They want to ask questions that matter to a "normal" fan: i.e. someone who knows diddly about option football and less then diddly about today's defenses (that's me, btw). It is easy to ask such questions to coaches at other schools; you focus in on the "star" players and ask how they did. The whole business then comes down to an evaluation of individual effort. The story then writes itself: "Coach A says that BigStar gave a good effort and/but I agree/disagree." Throw in a few comments about whether the running game or passing game worked or didn't and a some comments on calls during the game and you are off for drinks at 4:00. Easy peasy.

Now think of how that is with Coach. His first comment when things are going well/bad for <generic Tech BigStar> is, "He did some good things" then a quick segue to comments on the blocking and reads. Iow, stuff that very few fans understand, that are hard to explain in print, and that make lousy TV. Same with the D; it's always from a team perspective and never focuses in on <generic Tech BigStar>. The result is that it is hard to even name the <generic Tech BigStar> that you can build a story around. It really is team football; especially on O we are a machine, not a vehicle for <generic Tech BigStar>. That doesn't make for very good press stories.
Not all the "reporters" are big media interested in pleasing clueless fans. At least two are internet guys feeding guys like us.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Not all the "reporters" are big media interested in pleasing clueless fans. At least two are internet guys feeding guys like us.
True, but I think they are the exception that proves the rule. Still, I should have been specific in saying that I was talking about TV and newspaper reporters. And most sports "pundits" we see floundering around trying to explain what is going on at any Tech game on TV, of course.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
We are fortunate to have a beat reporter like Ken. He understands Tech and us as alumni/fans, he has worked hard to understand CPJ's offense and he seems to have a good rapport with CPJ. Ken is very aware that CPJ likely isn't going to answer an injury question before Thursday but he asks anyway a) out of concern for the player in question, b) because fans ask him to ask about the player, and, perhaps most importantly, c) because, occasionally, CPJ will divulge injury information before Thursday - just like he did earlier this week with Matthew Jordan.

Now you're messing up the stereotype with facts. (y)

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We are fortunate to have a beat reporter like Ken. He understands Tech and us as alumni/fans, he has worked hard to understand CPJ's offense and he seems to have a good rapport with CPJ. Ken is very aware that CPJ likely isn't going to answer an injury question before Thursday but he asks anyway a) out of concern for the player in question, b) because fans ask him to ask about the player, and, perhaps most importantly, c) because, occasionally, CPJ will divulge injury information before Thursday - just like he did earlier this week with Matthew Jordan.
I get the distinct impression that CPJ can't stand Ken

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I get the distinct impression that CPJ can't stand Ken

He cant.

The point is what people dont get is every time ken asks about an injury on monday far outweighs and discredits him from getting better answers on other questions than the 1-2 times paul shares an injury status pre Thursday.

By in large. No one gives a crap about a kids injury status until gametime.

Ken used crappy beat reporter slactics (sleezey tactics) to go behind pauls back one time to support his narrative and ever since then paul hammers him.

And. Ken did it regarding.....yes you guessed it....injuries.

Ken is more than pre occupied with the one thing i think most people want to know, and care for the player, but whether its told on a Monday or friday evening we all could care a less. Gametime is fine. We are all fine with that i think. Injuries are not some big breaking news. Watch the prior game. U get a hint there. Then wait for the next week to end. No biggy

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
First I must say I am a fan of PJ. I do wish he was more personable and less condesending to the press. They have a job to do and can be an asset rather than an adversary. Do I wish coach would evolve his offense with better passing and blocking for that but at this point it probably isn't going to happen. The officiating allows more holding and now favors the passing game. So we have to accept what he is until he retires or leaves.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
First I must say I am a fan of PJ. I do wish he was more personable and less condesending to the press. They have a job to do and can be an asset rather than an adversary. Do I wish coach would evolve his offense with better passing and blocking for that but at this point it probably isn't going to happen. The officiating allows more holding and now favors the passing game. So we have to accept what he is until he retires or leaves.

Gotta have a qb that can hit the receivers to pass. So far the best one we have had is JT. Marshall is more like Tevin than JT with his arm. The offense's passing schemes do exist but what is the point of going 9-20 or 8-25 just so you can say you threw it 20+ times.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ken is more than pre occupied with the one thing i think most people want to know, and care for the player, but whether its told on a Monday or friday evening we all could care a less. Gametime is fine. We are all fine with that i think. Injuries are not some big breaking news. Watch the prior game. U get a hint there. Then wait for the next week to end. No biggy

I would disagree there. As this board is proof of, when guys get hurt during a game, there are multiple threads the next day asking how certain SAs are doing. It's definitely newsworthy for fans, but I think most fans on here are fine with with whatever protocol CPJ has and we're willing to wait until it's appropriate to release that information. There's definitely a give and take that needs to be respected between coaches and reporters.

One negative about the way CPJ approaches media is that the team probably doesn't get the coverage it deserves. Look at the difference between how the basketball team and the football team is covered. The basketball team gets a lot of "love", especially from the local media. During the offseason, Pastner and the basketball team had a lot of feature pieces written about them. The AJC did an in depth piece of Okogie, had another piece on Pastner's recruiting schedule in Vegas, did a great piece on Lammers offseason, etc. Radio guys all love having Pastner on the radio and he seems to have a great relationship with all of them. Contrast with how the local media treats CPJ and our football team. Let's be honest, the team doesn't get the greatest coverage, and that probably has to do with media not wanting to deal with CPJ. Coaching has changed, you can't just be a good coach anymore, there's a media savvy aspect that goes along with it. CPJ is actually really personable, and I wish that's the side he would let the media see...but unfortunately, that's not what always happens. I think the team loses out on a lot of good press because of it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I would disagree there. As this board is proof of, when guys get hurt during a game, there are multiple threads the next day asking how certain SAs are doing. It's definitely newsworthy for fans, but I think most fans on here are fine with with whatever protocol CPJ has and we're willing to wait until it's appropriate to release that information. There's definitely a give and take that needs to be respected between coaches and reporters.

One negative about the way CPJ approaches media is that the team probably doesn't get the coverage it deserves. Look at the difference between how the basketball team and the football team is covered. The basketball team gets a lot of "love", especially from the local media. During the offseason, Pastner and the basketball team had a lot of feature pieces written about them. The AJC did an in depth piece of Okogie, had another piece on Pastner's recruiting schedule in Vegas, did a great piece on Lammers offseason, etc. Radio guys all love having Pastner on the radio and he seems to have a great relationship with all of them. Contrast with how the local media treats CPJ and our football team. Let's be honest, the team doesn't get the greatest coverage, and that probably has to do with media not wanting to deal with CPJ. Coaching has changed, you can't just be a good coach anymore, there's a media savvy aspect that goes along with it. CPJ is actually really personable, and I wish that's the side he would let the media see...but unfortunately, that's not what always happens. I think the team loses out on a lot of good press because of it.

Fwiw, I think the media is responding to georgie football fans who don't care that much about basketball.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Indeed, he certainly could be more personable with the fans and press. He needs to follow Josh Pastner around, he knows how to schoomove fans,reporters and enemies.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry ... I just can't stop laughing at the original question.

guys, I've known PJ a long time, long before he was coach at Tech. I don't mean just know of him, I mean had a beer with him a time or two and spent a lot of time with him.
PJ has had a good relationship with the press in his previous stops. Then again, there wasn't a whole lot to complain about because he was winning like nobody's business - three national championship game appearances, two national championships, five conference titles in five years at Southern alone. Even that wasn't good enough for some fans. Cut the guy some slack. He's taken Tech to TWO Orange Bowls, THREE ACCCGS and THREE wins in Athens. The school and the program won't be in any kind of NCAA trouble because of academics, not on his watch.
trust me, even Jeff Schultz has a tremendous amount of respect for PJ. he can be critical of him, sure, but that's his job. Bradley? Eh, he thinks a lot of himself anyway (Call him Dr. Naismith. Bisher did). The sports talk radio guys tried to play "gotcha" with PJ and he burned them.
If he's in a good mood at the radio show, you can tell. That was evident in the days when Wes and Brandon did it. I don't know that he's developed that rapport with Demetra yet.
If you've heard PJ as a lunch or dinner speaker, he's got a million stories. And if you get him away from the prying eyes and ears, he's got a million jokes.

coach him up ... smh.