Speculative question: has Tstan "coached up" CPJ

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
...... when it comes to relations with the media and fan base? In listening to the call in show and pressers this year it just seems CPJ is much more personable, patient, and relatable than he has been in the past. Do you think Tstan has anything to do with it? Or is it just my imagination.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
CPJ Radio Show - maybe because we have callers that are actually asking relevant questions (Carl from Richmond Hill) and he has an opportunity to educate the fans.
Post-practice interviews/press conferences - about the same, except when someone's "Girlfriend" calls one of the cellphones on the podium & CPJ has a chance to joke with the lucky guy.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Someone needs to coach up KQ and not start every interview with "how was practice?" and "did you get a chance to fix some things?"

techman

Georgia Tech Fan
Or "I imagine..."

He imagines everything.

These reporters (?) often (if not always) ask their questions in the most timid way using language that is so unprofessional and meek. Notice how often they use these exact words: "sorta" or "kinda" or "a little" or "maybe". (they often use them in combination making them sound like they're scared to death of CPJ). For example, they will ask this type of question, "I imagine you sorta had to maybe work on special teams kinda a little bit maybe?"

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Could be just me, as I just put GT athletics on my podcast feed this year so I am listening to "everything", not just selective clips I see on the Swarm.

As a for instance though, the detail he went into on the kick return question on the call in show. In years past just seems like he would have said something like "hey, we work on that every day in practice" and gone on. Also, to me it seems like he's changed his tone on how he talks about the players. Even though he was on them for all the missed assignments last week, he would follow up with "they did a lot of good things too." Seems like he has been a lot more complimentary of what they did right this year.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
These reporters (?) often (if not always) ask their questions in the most timid way using language that is so unprofessional and meek. Notice how often they use these exact words: "sorta" or "kinda" or "a little" or "maybe". (they often use them in combination making them sound like they're scared to death of CPJ). For example, they will ask this type of question, "I imagine you sorta had to maybe work on special teams kinda a little bit maybe?"

Yeah, I noticed that too. A lot of "I guess" and "it seems like". CPJ still doesn't "suffer fools lightly" even if he may be kinder & gentler!

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow

The only person worse than the beat reporters is Andy Demetra. His ability to take 2 and a half minutes to ask a question on the radio show truly is special.

On Monday, CPJ even said "Well, you like to talk, but..."

There have been a few times this year where I've felt like GT should market "The Andy Demetra Show, featuring CPJ."

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Coach makes it harder to be a reporter.

They want to ask questions that matter to a "normal" fan: i.e. someone who knows diddly about option football and less then diddly about today's defenses (that's me, btw). It is easy to ask such questions to coaches at other schools; you focus in on the "star" players and ask how they did. The whole business then comes down to an evaluation of individual effort. The story then writes itself: "Coach A says that BigStar gave a good effort and/but I agree/disagree." Throw in a few comments about whether the running game or passing game worked or didn't and a some comments on calls during the game and you are off for drinks at 4:00. Easy peasy.

Now think of how that is with Coach. His first comment when things are going well/bad for <generic Tech BigStar> is, "He did some good things" then a quick segue to comments on the blocking and reads. Iow, stuff that very few fans understand, that are hard to explain in print, and that make lousy TV. Same with the D; it's always from a team perspective and never focuses in on <generic Tech BigStar>. The result is that it is hard to even name the <generic Tech BigStar> that you can build a story around. It really is team football; especially on O we are a machine, not a vehicle for <generic Tech BigStar>. That doesn't make for very good press stories.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
...... when it comes to relations with the media and fan base? In listening to the call in show and pressers this year it just seems CPJ is much more personable, patient, and relatable than he has been in the past. Do you think Tstan has anything to do with it? Or is it just my imagination.

Compared to Spurrier he is downright diplomatic. Can't say that he has mellowed that much. I think he is more comfortable with the AD and is happy with the identity of the option offense being Georgia Tech. He is who he is. Whoops didn't mean to go there.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Someone needs to coach ken to stop asking about damn injuries before thursday. One would think after a decade you would get the hint. And honestly i could care a less about an inury until game time anyway.

Rant off

Boy that gets my goat too. No coach, in his right mind, is going to talk about injuries in such a way as to give an opponent advance notice. Gee, you would think he would have gotten this by now.

The Rev.

Georgia Tech Fan
We are fortunate to have a beat reporter like Ken. He understands Tech and us as alumni/fans, he has worked hard to understand CPJ's offense and he seems to have a good rapport with CPJ. Ken is very aware that CPJ likely isn't going to answer an injury question before Thursday but he asks anyway a) out of concern for the player in question, b) because fans ask him to ask about the player, and, perhaps most importantly, c) because, occasionally, CPJ will divulge injury information before Thursday - just like he did earlier this week with Matthew Jordan.