South Florida playing now

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
USF is a winnable game but there is no way it is a must win game. When we decided to go with Collins, it was a commitment to a long term plan of changing perception of the program and improving recruiting. With that came the understanding that switching from the option would come with short term setbacks due to a mismatch between scheme and talent. He's not going on the hot seat because he loses to a team that we lost to last year.

Very true but we must play better especially on offense. We need to block better and settle on a quarterback which will go a long way to having an identity on offense. That said, much of what is troubling our team cannot be fixed by scheming or changing personnel around. It will have to be done the old fashioned way: recruiting, especially linemen, developing players to the fullest extent of their potential, and coaching those who are a little lacking in ability to perform as best they can. All of that takes time. We best get to it.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
A must win game is a bit of a misnomer. But, let's face it. USF is not a good football team. Is Tech a good football team?

IF Tech loses to USF at home, they/we are not a good football team.

If Tech is going to be a good football team this year, this is a game Tech needs to win. Lose this game and we will all be making excuses. Therefore, it is a must win game for Tech to build a winning season. Personally, I don't believe the cupboard was left bare. There is athletic talent on this team. This can be a good football team. Must beat mediocre/bad teams. Coaching and scheming are important to utilize talent.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Barring a hangover from this game, I just dont see us losing to usf. I think it will a go long way in showing how much progress we made in the offseason.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
That game was neck and neck last year up until the end. Miscues on our part with the bad special teams coverage, the late fumble, them taking advantage of our porous d and having Barnett gash us all day all played into the loss. We played well for a large part of that game on offense. It went both ways. I think it will be a competitive game next week. That being said, before seeing the results of both team’s first games this year, I thought this would be a Tech win by 10+ points. I feel no differently now.

I was actually glad that we had Clem first on the road to test us. In a season where nothing good is expected outside of our players and fan base, it was great to open up against the best team in the country on their field. I’m excited to see how we handle these next 3 games now heading into conference play.

All I’ve heard from the talking heads in the offseason is that we will win 3 games this year and should hope to go 2-2 in our first 4. I think 3-1 is very possible and honestly I expect it. We will surprise a lot of people this year.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I have a bad feeling about USF, they are going to give us their best shot, prob view GT as one of their few winnable games this season, i hope like hell that we can rise above and smack them down

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I had USF as one of the 3-4 games I saw as absolutely winnable at the start of the season. I still think it's our single best chance outside of the Citadel. We should be able to win this one going away. I see a close 1st half followed by us pulling away in the 3rd qtr. If this game is close late our season is going to require lots of pepto bismol and whiskey clear.

I still don't see this as must win because I think TStan is willing to write off 2019 & 2020 to allow CGC to recruit the talent he needs for his new scheme to succeed. I think we will see in 2021 the great leap forward we are hoping for, and by 2022-23 I expect we will be competing for the Coastal championship and a spot in the ACCCG.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I had USF as one of the 3-4 games I saw as absolutely winnable at the start of the season. I still think it's our single best chance outside of the Citadel. We should be able to win this one going away. I see a close 1st half followed by us pulling away in the 3rd qtr. If this game is close late our season is going to require lots of pepto bismol and whiskey clear.

I still don't see this as must win because I think TStan is willing to write off 2019 & 2020 to allow CGC to recruit the talent he needs for his new scheme to succeed. I think we will see in 2021 the great leap forward we are hoping for, and by 2022-23 I expect we will be competing for the Coastal championship and a spot in the ACCCG.

When people say "must win" in regards to this game, I think they mean in terms of the possibility of proving the forecasters wrong and making a bowl this season, not a must win for the future of the program. At least I hope that is what they mean!

It may not be a MUST win per se, but I think it will definitely define the season. Win it, and we can move forward, implementing more plays, eliciting more excitement and hope, and winning a few more games. Lose it, and we are in the same, if not worse, shape than we are after playing Clemson, with little hope of winning many, if any more games.

Animal02

Banned
It may not be a MUST win per se, but I think it will definitely define the season. Win it, and we can move forward, implementing more plays, eliciting more excitement and hope, and winning a few more games. Lose it, and we are in the same, if not worse, shape than we are after playing Clemson, with little hope of winning many, if any more games.
Winning this Saturday and the next, may put the team on a roll through the middle of the season. Lose to a mediocre SFU and the doubts and desperation may start to creep in.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
When people say "must win" in regards to this game, I think they mean in terms of the possibility of proving the forecasters wrong and making a bowl this season, not a must win for the future of the program. At least I hope that is what they mean!
When I say must win I don't care about the forecasters , and I don't mean for the future of any season but 2019. I say it's a must win for the attitude and confidence of the team. Oh and for a chance to get to a bowl.

slugboy

Staff member
If they hadn't looked so terrible themselves, we would probably be slight underdogs, honestly. Just get a win and take it from there.

We definitely would have been an underdog. Most of the season forecasts had USF headed into a strong season, and not us.

This is definitely a chance for Collins to show his coaching chops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
What's ironic is that half the people calling it a must win aren't the CPJ fanboys. I was as big a CPJ defender as anyone on this board, and I've been creaming since day one that we need to temper our expectations this year. Yet I've been told numerou times that it's unreasonable NOT to expect 6-7 wins this year, mostly by CGC fans.

I liked CPJ, and I like CGC. But I think anything more than 4 wins this year will be a great achievement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk