Something for Collins and co. to consider

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
The team that finished second worst in those rankings finished far ahead of us in total offense and scoring offense and they made a bowl game. How did they overcome such terrible offensive line play?
You can cherry pick whatever you want from the rest of the rankings but you can’t tell me that an O-line ranked ONE HUNDRED THIRTIETH is CDP’s fault.

Scubapro

Banned
You can cherry pick whatever you want from the rest of the rankings but you can’t tell me that an O-line ranked ONE HUNDRED THIRTIETH is CDP’s fault.
This is true
Go look at CDP’s best years (two btw) at Coastal Carolina and decide if that type of offense and play calling will get Tech to 8+ wins per year

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m in the “not sold on Patenaude” crowd. My issue isn’t that we were bad on offense- I expected a drop off - but that we were just plan inept. There were the occasional good days, but mostly it was a succession of 3-and-outs. I believe that Patenaude threw together a collection of plays, called it an offense, but never actually created an offense.

What he needed to do was create a simple scheme that could be transitional scheme from what the team had been doing to what he wants the team to do in the future. That should not have been too hard. At the very least he could have replaced the TO with bubble screens, jail break screens, and the zone read option. The screens would have taken a lot of pressure off the OL and taken advantage of the former AB used to catch and run while the zone read kept the QB running ability as a weapon.

The offense already had an assortment of double options and called dives that could have been retained, perhaps in modified form, and used to very good effect once the screens split the defense wide.

From there he could have gone to work on the passing game. Even then it wasn’t like he had to start from scratch. Just Improving the pass blocking would have done a lot to help even if the passing game itself was unchanged. I felt that the pass blocking was improved this past season. Maybe pass blocking didn’t improve to where it needed to be, but at least the QB had had some time to pass, however little, whereas in the past time in pocket only existed as a fairy tale.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I’m in the “not sold on Patenaude” crowd. My issue isn’t that we were bad on offense- I expected a drop off - but that we were just plan inept. There were the occasional good days, but mostly it was a succession of 3-and-outs. I believe that Patenaude threw together a collection of plays, called it an offense, but never actually created an offense.

What he needed to do was create a simple scheme that could be transitional scheme from what the team had been doing to what he wants the team to do in the future. That should not have been too hard. At the very least he could have replaced the TO with bubble screens, jail break screens, and the zone read option. The screens would have taken a lot of pressure off the OL and taken advantage of the former AB used to catch and run while the zone read kept the QB running ability as a weapon.

The offense already had an assortment of double options and called dives that could have been retained, perhaps in modified form, and used to very good effect once the screens split the defense wide.

From there he could have gone to work on the passing game. Even then it wasn’t like he had to start from scratch. Just Improving the pass blocking would have done a lot to help even if the passing game itself was unchanged. I felt that the pass blocking was improved this past season. Maybe pass blocking didn’t improve to where it needed to be, but at least the QB had had some time to pass, however little, whereas in the past time in pocket only existed as a fairy tale.

While I agree with what you say, I still give Patenaude a pass for the season. There certainly has been preaching taking advantage of the tools of our personnel, but clearly that's within a certain frame of offensive system. Particularly on the O-line, our personnel was a bad fit, decimated by injury, and generally starting from scratch learning a whole new technique. Our collection of QBs had very little experience and having to learn the system from scratch even trying to adapt the plays to their individual talents. That's just a poor substrate to take advantage of the abilities you do have -- not to mention similar challenges being faced on the other side of the ball having all you have to inform you about your own offensive ability vs. competition in the beginning.

So, he certainly could have made a choice to change the system to take advantage of the skills and personnel we retained from the previous system. If we had, it certainly would be less optimal for subsequent years assuming attempting to transition to a new style of blocking and new preference for personnel. So there's an element of choice of short term loss for long term gain.

Regardless, I'm much more optimistic for next year on the line. We will have some transfer talent, lots of talented young ones to develop, and a healthy roster with less to learn and more game experience.

While I agree with what you say, I still give Patenaude a pass for the season. There certainly has been preaching taking advantage of the tools of our personnel, but clearly that's within a certain frame of offensive system. Particularly on the O-line, our personnel was a bad fit, decimated by injury, and generally starting from scratch learning a whole new technique. Our collection of QBs had very little experience and having to learn the system from scratch even trying to adapt the plays to their individual talents. That's just a poor substrate to take advantage of the abilities you do have -- not to mention similar challenges being faced on the other side of the ball having all you have to inform you about your own offensive ability vs. competition in the beginning.

So, he certainly could have made a choice to change the system to take advantage of the skills and personnel we retained from the previous system. If we had, it certainly would be less optimal for subsequent years assuming attempting to transition to a new style of blocking and new preference for personnel. So there's an element of choice of short term loss for long term gain.

Regardless, I'm much more optimistic for next year on the line. We will have some transfer talent, lots of talented young ones to develop, and a healthy roster with less to learn and more game experience.

So I always question the statement about our players having to learn totally new on offense. How many of our players played the CPJ offense in high school. Probably none. They all did zone blocking and the skill players ran the same thing as Tech did this year. The learning curve was when they came to play for CPJ as the blocking schemes were more complex. What the real issue was, since we are now moving to a player centric offense and not a scheme, can we out athlete our opponent. And that is going to be proven out in the next 3 years.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
So I always question the statement about our players having to learn totally new on offense. How many of our players played the CPJ offense in high school. Probably none. They all did zone blocking and the skill players ran the same thing as Tech did this year. The learning curve was when they came to play for CPJ as the blocking schemes were more complex. What the real issue was, since we are now moving to a player centric offense and not a scheme, can we out athlete our opponent. And that is going to be proven out in the next 3 years.

There are more ways of blocking than just the 2. I honestly don't know how many of the OL have any experience in HS with zone blocking. None certainly had college experience learning or reping against live competition except for transfers (although I don't know what blocking scheme they came from either).

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
How many garbage passes did our QB’s make? From where I sat that’s not a coaching issue but a player issue. What I saw out of our top 2 QB’s going into this season was the complete lack of off season skill work. I was extremely disappointed in the play of the starter against Clemson. He had since last December to work on his passing game, yet he looked completely inept throwing 5 yard dump passes. It was his time to shine this season and he looked worse than an average high school QB in the passing game. That’s a lack of want to not coaching. And our OLine was just horrible due to lack of size, talent, and injuries. The good news is our QB will be better since our Coach has moved on from the other two, and our OLine can not play worse than they did last year. So, yeah, Patenaude gets a pass.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Tom Luginbill heaped some heavy praise on Jeff Sims recently on the Packer and Durham show on the ACC Network. You can listen to it here around the 1:30 mark. When asked about players that really impressed during the all-star games, he says, "The [player] that really just jumps out to me... and it's really one. Is quarterback Jeff Sims." He got to observe all of those guys for 3 hours a day during that Under Armour All-American week, and he said Sims was "lights out" throughout the entire week of practices and looked great in the game. He thinks Sims could be the catalyst for transforming the program.
Love the review, still hate Tom

White_Gold

GT Athlete
Sims or Gleason seemingly give us our first chance at a pro QB prospect in a couple decades. Not sure we’ve even had anyone in the conversation this century

I actually believe that Graham has the talent and mind to be a decent pro prospect. He can make all of the throws, albeit inconsistently. But, he can make them. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people in Spring and then in Fall.

I'm not sure if we have it, but we most definitely need a QB coach who can actually teach the proper mechanics of throwing a football. Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. Not knowing the proper technique does not make perfect.