Something for Collins and co. to consider

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Haven't seen anyone say anything about the defensive coach. I think everyone likes Thacker and recognizes he needs bigger and better players. He was talking about the OC.
my bad. Yet, I guess it applies. If we have such low expectations of Collins, why is one of his assistants on the spot?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I like Thacker matter of fact I like all the. Assistant coaches still watching P'nut would not be fair to judge him on last year but I need to see Improvement this year with him.

For me I need to see him(OC ) with the players that fit what he wants to do, think he will probably have enough in play by last 1/2 of '21 season to get a read.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Way too early to judge Pnut. Let’s see what happens when he actually has some Jimmies and Joes. Great players can hide or expose schemes.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Way too early to judge Pnut. Let’s see what happens when he actually has some Jimmies and Joes. Great players can hide or expose schemes.
He had more than enough talent this year to field an offense that wasn’t one of the worst in the FBS. There is probably a reason that he only has one year of P5 coaching experience in his nearly 30 year career.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
He had more than enough talent this year to field an offense that wasn’t one of the worst in the FBS. There is probably a reason that he only has one year of P5 coaching experience in his nearly 30 year career.
Do you honestly believe that? Or just say it because you don’t like the new staff? Have you seen where the OLine ranked? Dead last. Georgia Tech had the worst offensive line in the country. Not only were they going through a huge transition, but 3 starters were lost for the year, and by the end of the year, 3 walk ons were starting. You find me another P5 team that starts a walk-on on the OLine, much less 3. 2 best WRs? Out with injury. 3 QBs playing in a completely new system, with the one that ended up starting being a freshman who wasn’t even graded as a QB out of high school. Tell me where all that talent was hiding. Was it just players the staff didn’t like so they didn’t play? Or were they just underutilizing the talent of walk-ons and freshmen? 11 of the 30 offensive players that were ATL against Georgia were freshmen. 20 of the 30 were FR or SO. There were zero WRs or QBs older than SO, and only 1 RB in Jerry Howard Jr. older than a SO. Not only was it one of the youngest teams in the country, they were going through a complete offensive overhaul under a completely new staff. But yet, they should’ve been putting up 45 points a game in your opinion huh?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Do you honestly believe that? Or just say it because you don’t like the new staff? Have you seen where the OLine ranked? Dead last. Georgia Tech had the worst offensive line in the country. Not only were they going through a huge transition, but 3 starters were lost for the year, and by the end of the year, 3 walk ons were starting. You find me another P5 team that starts a walk-on on the OLine, much less 3. 2 best WRs? Out with injury. 3 QBs playing in a completely new system, with the one that ended up starting being a freshman who wasn’t even graded as a QB out of high school. Tell me where all that talent was hiding. Was it just players the staff didn’t like so they didn’t play? Or were they just underutilizing the talent of walk-ons and freshmen? 11 of the 30 offensive players that were ATL against Georgia were freshmen. 20 of the 30 were FR or SO. There were zero WRs or QBs older than SO, and only 1 RB in Jerry Howard Jr. older than a SO. Not only was it one of the youngest teams in the country, they were going through a complete offensive overhaul under a completely new staff. But yet, they should’ve been putting up 45 points a game in your opinion huh?
So in your opinion with guys as terrible as Graham, Mason, Brown, Griffin, Oliver, Howard, Carter, Sanders, etc. there was simply no possible way we could have scored against Temple, or VT or finished in the top 125 in offense? That’s nonsense. Our offense was a complete train wreck this year. It should have been better than it was no matter how much patch work we had on the line.

If we are going to pretend that we are we are playing elite football now then maybe we shouldn’t hire a journeyman OC with no P5 experience, and fairly lackluster limited D1 experience that probably no other D1 program would hire and then make excuses when he produces one of the worst offenses in the history of the program.

herb

Helluva Engineer

I don’t hate the new staff. But we had enough talent to beat Citadel. I am willing to wait on pnut because I think he was hamstrung a little on what he could do as the decision was made not to do the things we were able to do well as it didn’t fit in with how we wanted to be perceived going forward.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So in your opinion with guys as terrible as Graham, Mason, Brown, Griffin, Oliver, Howard, Carter, Sanders, etc. there was simply no possible way we could have scored against Temple, or VT or finished in the top 125 in offense? That’s nonsense. Our offense was a complete train wreck this year. It should have been better than it was no matter how much patch work we had on the line.

If we are going to pretend that we are we are playing elite football now then maybe we shouldn’t hire a journeyman OC with no P5 experience, and fairly lackluster limited D1 experience that probably no other D1 program would hire and then make excuses when he produces one of the worst offenses in the history of the program.
Tech definitely should’ve scored against VT and Temple, but when there were opportunities to score against Temple, Graham turned it over. Also I never said that group of players wasn’t talented. But what do all of those players you mentioned have in common? They’re all underclassmen, except Howard. Every one of those players will play a significant role in the offense for the next 2-3 years, but they were still young this year. You cannot tell me the “patch work” on the offensive line wasn’t a significant contributor for poor offense. It was literally the worst line in college football. Teams with bad OLines aren’t successful on offense. Look at the Falcons. For 2 years they’ve had some of the best weapons in the NFL at skill positions, but no OLine. So where have they finished? In the bottom half of the league. Attack specific play calls all you want, but don’t throw out general statements that have no base to stand on other than you don’t like the new coaches.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Maybe, possibly somewhat. Yeah, we should have beaten the Citadel. But you're discounting the fact that the OL is by far the most important component of an offense and was fairly atrocious (though it did improve toward the end of the year), and I suspect you might be overselling the virtues of the rest of it. Although I do think they'll all improve with experience, the only really consistently excellent player we had on O last year was Mason, and maybe Brown. Without Mason, we're 0-12.

Good post. If we had a competent AD at the time, he would have forced Gailey to hire a quality OC instead of firing Gailey. We had the money to do so. Homer forced Lewis to hire O'Leary, so there was precedent. Calvin Johnson was can't miss as a pro, and then there was Bay Bay. Recruits would have seen us as WR U, which would have attracted QBs. Instead, we paid top 15 money to hire a triple option coach and the recruiting momentum Calvin and Bay Bay would have given us was lost.

As you say, it would have been interesting.
But Gailey was brought here because he was an NFL OC. Supposedly one of the best. But his offenses were anemic at best.

Well stated and very true. But, a lot of Tech folks said the TO would give us the best chance to be competitive ( BS )! Tech entered the dark ages where most thought f the TO as an amusing sideshow and PJ as a medicine show salesman!
Yea we should have stuck with 7 win Chan and not won the ACC, gone to two Orange bowls and actually beat UGA......CPJ took us to heights not seen since the 50's.

LibertyTurns

Banned
What did all the games we won have in common?

Mason had 20+ carries. Maybe Pnut read the stat sheets over the extended break?

There was really no reason for the drop off in run blocking. We were next to last in that category last year. If that doesn’t give you pause, well no amount of internet yapping would change your perspective.

Did I expect we’d struggle rolling out new offensive plays? Yes, I expected more than our share of sacks from missed blocking assignments, QB and WRs having differences & issues reading coverages, QB having accuracy problems, etc. Did I think we’d completely forget how to run the ball? Hell, no. Let’s be real. NOBODY pre-season expected we’d have troubles running the ball. NOBODY.

There was really no reason for the drop off in run blocking. We were next to last in that category last year. If that doesn’t give you pause, well no amount of internet yapping would change your perspective.

Did I expect we’d struggle rolling out new offensive plays? Yes, I expected more than our share of sacks from missed blocking assignments, QB and WRs having differences & issues reading coverages, QB having accuracy problems, etc. Did I think we’d completely forget how to run the ball? Hell, no. Let’s be real. NOBODY pre-season expected we’d have troubles running the ball. NOBODY.

And to add, we stuck with one quarterback, except Pitt which we lost. We also threw the ball less and ran more option. But it seemed to me that after those games we went back to pass happy football, after all we can't look like CPJ and get recruits........

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

True, i didn’t expect our run offense to be bad but it was understandable why it was. Let’s understand that this transition was just mental with scheme, but physical as well changing physique and structure of our players. Quinney gained 30lbs in the off-season and still considered undersized. Think about that for second

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

and not a single OL mentioned lol

I repeat: name an OC who can scheme around a bad OL?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
And just to pile on this thread, it seems the Ravens have changed pro-football by introducing Triple Option concepts taught to them by........CPJ. Maybe he has transformed football.

I couldn’t leave this hyperbole on ignore. So let’s just forget what Greg Roman ran in San Fran with Kaepernick and give all the credit to CPJ for showing some blocking techniques

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I couldn’t leave this hyperbole on ignore. So let’s just forget what Greg Roman ran in San Fran with Kaepernick and give all the credit to CPJ for showing some blocking techniques

Also, if CPJ was the guy that "revamped" Baltimore's offense, he'd surely be in higher demand than just a consultant.

I'm sure CPJ helped add some really nice wrinkles to the Raven's offense, but as you said, let's not stretch it. That said, I'm also certain CPJ could help Patenaude with some wrinkles as well if this staff wanted to travel 15 minutes on north I-75 to Vinnings for a little powow. If David Cutcliffe can see the value in it, this staff should as well.