Some optimistic tidbits for those losing hope

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
Did yesterday suck? Yes. Absolutely. No denying that. We made mistakes and it costed us.

Does yesterday’s loss ruin the season? No. We have seven games left.

Was the offensive playcalling questionable? Yes. Same with time management. But Key is a newer HC still learning.

And when you look at the big picture of GT coaches of the past the only coach I can think of to come in and have big success immediately was Paul Johnson. Dodd went 4-6 his first season. Bud Carson went 18-24 through three seasons. Bill Curry inherited a terrible situation and had two straight one win seasons before slowly getting back on his feet. Ross struggled mightily at first as well before getting us to the top.

Key’s mentor, O’Leary, went 11-11 through two seasons (11-14 if you count his interim stint in ‘94) and never made a bowl until his third full year.

Be patient, as long as we make a bowl (which we CAN do) and keep Petty and the recruits locked up we’d still take a positive step forward.

Do I want to win? Yes. And sooner the better, but we knew after the TFG disaster that this would take a little bit of time.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I am staying positive by knowing what key was hired to do. Key will not get us to an ACC Championship. Key is here to stabilize a bleeding program. Not making a bowl game this year will hurt that progress. We could still win 5 games possibly. Hopefully we make one next year and then we can work on getting the proper staff in to build something. On the other hand we have to decide if were going to pay 20mil a year to win like a lot of the top 10 teams are currently doing. CFB is so fun now.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
I am staying positive by knowing what key was hired to do. Key will not get us to an ACC Championship. Key is here to stabilize a bleeding program. Not making a bowl game this year will hurt that progress. We could still win 5 games possibly. Hopefully we make one next year and then we can work on getting the proper staff in to build something. On the other hand we have to decide if were going to pay 20mil a year to win like a lot of the top 10 teams are currently doing. CFB is so fun now.
I think we can still make a bowl this year btw

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I could be wrong, but we seem to be pretty tired and bruised. Kinda like you go out and it's all great, until you get hit in that one big bruise that won't heal, and then you are in nagging pain the whole time, which can slow you down a bit.

Had this bye week come a few weeks ago, I think we'd be in a different place right now.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I would fall to pieces over this one. Saban described Louisville as sneaky good, 10-4 last year, and not a team that gets mentioned a lot. On GameDay, the entire panel selected Louisville to win over GT. Brohm has been at Louisville for while and is regarded as a good solid coach.

Could we have won? Sure. But Louisville is a solid team and we didn't. Simple.

Eli

Helluva Engineer

Auburn has 20 million invested and sucks. I don’t think paying a roster 20 million is a sure fix. I just look at it from a physiological standpoint of once being 18 years old. If you give the average young adult large sums of money are they really putting in the extra time and film study as an 18-19 year old kid? I like our staff and we are more talented than some want to believe. I do think on offense we have gotten away from what Faulkner did last year. We are in year two of a rebuild it will come.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Jamal's nursing a midsection injury, Rutherford has a rib cage ailment, Carrie's out, Lockett's got the hand problem, Alexander seems to be dinged also, take a guess on Blackburn, etc. I'm sure there are others that need a breather to heal up.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Expectations are higher now. Most of us just didn't give 2 ****s anymore with the previous coach. The good news is, we are a competitive team and we expect to win every single game. Anything less, is a disappointment. More so when we cause ourselves to lose from dumb mistakes.

I also don't blame the coaches for much more than a few bad time management decisions. That loss was on the players.

O-Line was complete dog ****
Haynes King with a momentum killer early
Efford out of position, giving up a huge play over the middle
Defensive Backs completely worthless on any deep ball (seriously, there's absolutely no chance for a pick with how they play; it's just a routine practice jump ball for every team)
Birr is worse than Vandy's kicker

The Good:
Malik is a baller

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
We have to wait and see if they invite any 5 win teams. I think 5 wins is still possible. It will take some quick improvements to get there but we can.
So, outta the 7 games we have left, in your opinion, we’re gonna struggle to only win maybe 2 more of those? So, I’m assuming we can mark ND(maybe), Miami, and Georgia as losses. I’m with you on those three…but I gotta know…what have the other four teams shown you, that made you come to the conclusion we shouldn’t win those games? If we played all four of those teams tomorrow, we’d be favored and probably win every one of them. We’d beat all four of those teams with the performance we put on display against Cuse and Louisville. Having said that, we have a lot to clean up.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Expectations are higher now. Most of us just didn't give 2 ****s anymore with the previous coach. The good news is, we are a competitive team and we expect to win every single game. Anything less, is a disappointment. More so when we cause ourselves to lose from dumb mistakes.

I also don't blame the coaches for much more than a few bad time management decisions. That loss was on the players.

Haynes King with a momentum killer early
Efford out of position, giving up a huge play over the middle
Defensive Backs completely worthless on any deep ball (seriously, there's absolutely no chance for a pick with how they play; it's just a routine practice jump ball for every team)
Birr is worse than Vandy's kicker

The Good:
Malik is a baller
I'd rate your post a 3 out of 10 for its ability to talk a fan off the ledge. ;)

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I would fall to pieces over this one. Saban described Louisville as sneaky good, 10-4 last year, and not a team that gets mentioned a lot. On GameDay, the entire panel selected Louisville to win over GT. Brohm has been at Louisville for while and is regarded as a good solid coach.

This is Brohm's second year at Louisville. However, he is a proven successful Head College Football Coach! Overall HC record of 79-48. 30-10 at Western Kentucky. 36-34 at Purdue which is very good there. and now 14-2 at Louisville.

slugboy

Staff member
This is Brohm's second year at Louisville. However, he is a proven successful Head College Football Coach! Overall HC record of 79-48. 30-10 at Western Kentucky. 36-34 at Purdue which is very good there. and now 14-2 at Louisville.
Key likes to quote Saban “don’t waste a loss”. The problem with the Louisville game is that we didn’t learn from the Syracuse game. On offense, the passing game is there, and we need to take advantage. On defense, the passing game is there, and it’s a problem.

Brohm is a good coach. Hopefully we get smarter in the bye week.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

Key has been a head coach at GT longer than Brohm has been at Louisville. Brohm is a proven head coach though as his years at Purdue were solid. We saw the difference yesterday between a seasoned coach and a coach still learning. Brohm has beaten Key twice in a row with 2 different QB’s. I’m pulling for Key to get there.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Key likes to quote Saban “don’t waste a loss”. The problem with the Louisville game is that we didn’t learn from the Syracuse game. On offense, the passing game is there, and we need to take advantage. On defense, the passing game is there, and it’s a problem.

Brohm is a good coach. Hopefully we get smarter in the bye week.
The vertical game is there. It will cost King his lofty completion percentage, but it’s there for the taking. It doesn’t really matter that they don’t run great routes, if we show we are turning our speedsters loose, teams will have to back off the LOS.

Can anyone here imagine Joe not going deep to Campbell and White 6x each per game?

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I'd rate your post a 3 out of 10 for its ability to talk a fan off the ledge. ;)
Some fans are really determined.....

Jumping In GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
The vertical game is there. It will cost King his lofty completion percentage, but it’s there for the taking. It doesn’t really matter that they don’t run great routes, if we show we are turning our speedsters loose, teams will have to back off the LOS.

Can anyone here imagine Joe not going deep to Campbell and White 6x each per game?
Joe also had Middleton, Watkins and Glover. Nate Curry as well I believe.

Those wideout rooms under O’Leary were PACKED.