Some optimistic tidbits for those losing hope

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Tid bit.

In this game.
CALLED HOT ROUTES DOWN CENTER TO TIGHT ENDS Boyd in left seam going full speed down field, 85 and 86 crossing 15 yd down field.
King put right on the money for Boyd. Even the blocking tight ends were targets WHILE RUNNING. If we get Blackburn in the mix, we will not be King and the 5 not so tall wr.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Tid bit.

In this game.
CALLED HOT ROUTES DOWN CENTER TO TIGHT ENDS Boyd in left seam going full speed down field, 85 and 86 crossing 15 yd down field.
King put right on the money for Boyd. Even the blocking tight ends were targets WHILE RUNNING. If we get Blackburn in the mix, we will not be King and the 5 not so tall wr.
What has Blackburn done to expect any production from him?

Boyd is playing well as are the TEs as a group.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Tid bit.

In this game.
Did Blackburn even play yesterday?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We have to wait and see if they invite any 5 win teams. I think 5 wins is still possible. It will take some quick improvements to get there but we can.
Dude, we will have five wins after our next two games. The competition is taking a significant step down. Chill out. VT and NC State are also nothing special. We should get to 7. Then maybe we can steal one of the other three. If you had told anyone 8-4 preseason they’d have gladly taken it. It’s not that out of reach.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Did Blackburn even play yesterday?
So another positive for this yesr and future.

Yea, Blackburn was running around on a few plays.

We need to bring him on slowly. We had a A back who was a burner from Tenn. He also had a very bad ACL ( or 2) and it took a while before he came into form. Went to nfl as gunner.

I hope Blackbudoesn't nt have to be a tight end and he soon can run fast and can run tight route. Our wrs that see the field are under 6 ft - which can make high pointing and contested an issue.

I remember we had a very tall 6'6" ish wr guy brought in named ed jenkins. He was a safe high point jump pass on sideline - especially in red zone. He walked on in nfl and now plays TE for Eagles .

So , i see Blackburn first as a wr that is a target on sideline, " then" as a fast wr down the sideline or and "then" down the seam.

sonngy

Georgia Tech Fan
We should easily beat UNC, duke, VT, and NC state so we’re going to a bowl for sure. To still make this season special we need to beat one of ND, Miami, and UGA. My guess is we beat one from that group but lose one from the winnable group but I’m very confident we go bowling. To suggest otherwise after seeing what the team has done the past few weeks is silly.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
We should easily beat UNC, duke, VT, and NC state so we’re going to a bowl for sure. To still make this season special we need to beat one of ND, Miami, and UGA. My guess is we beat one from that group but lose one from the winnable group but I’m very confident we go bowling. To suggest otherwise after seeing what the team has done the past few weeks is silly.
IMO nothing is going to be easy for this bunch.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
So another positive for this yesr and future.

Yea, Blackburn was running around on a few plays.

We need to bring him on slowly. We had a A back who was a burner from Tenn. He also had a very bad ACL ( or 2) and it took ar and 3 for TDs. while before he came into form. Went to nfl as gunner.

I hope Blackbudoesn't nt have to be a tight end and he soon can run fast and can run tight route. Our wrs that see the field are under 6 ft - which can make high pointing and contested an issue.

I remember we had a very tall 6'6" ish wr guy brought in named ed jenkins. He was a safe high point jump pass on sideline - especially in red zone. He walked on in nfl and now plays TE for Eagles .

So , i see Blackburn first as a wr that is a target on sideline, " then" as a fast wr down the sideline or and "then" down the seam.
I hope Blackburn catches 7 passes this year and 3 for TDs

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully a tid bit maybe:
On play after the pass to boyd, i saw a very large fast wr on left sideline make a killer block on a db. Closed on him and drove him back. I think it was true freshman # 13 6'4" Isaiah Cannon. Didnt double check because i didnt want to be sad

Kelly at Rivals has said that coaches are very high on his play. Kelly has recently wondered at lack of play time of senior #0 Christian Leary

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Short yardage stuffed.
A. The replay of the critical but failed 4th and 1 had a perfect camera angle down the line of scrimmage. We ran a straight power of left. They were lined up tight as were we. King didn't rpo. Just hand off. Both lines all engaged and the line of scrimage never budged.

B. Reading the" transcript" from Jackson Cauldwell on Coach key after game. Why having trohble getting short yard first downs? Coach key gave his frank summary of whats happened that included 6 "you knows" in 1 minute and concluded someeone has to get push. Then summarized we have find a solution and we will work hard in the bye week.

If new blood or plays its now before duke

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Idk if I’m alone but I was way more upset about the Syracuse loss than this. Syracuse pushed us around for 3.5 quarters. This time around we did enough on defense to win, we had some bad luck plays go against us, and it was against a top 20 team.

Need to clean up mistakes and, to be frank, improve our talent level and our coaching decisions. Unlike Collins I trust Key enough that he’ll get there. It may not be as quick as we like and that’s just something we may need to accept.

Some perspective too, Key is 3-2 in his second full year. O’Leary was 5-6 in year 2. Ross was 3-8 in year 2. Curry was 1-10 in year 2. Patience can be rewarded. Long as we’re improving (which, we can maybe debate but I also don’t see us losing to Bowling Green again) then I’m satisfied.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm hardly losing hope, we are about what I thought, we have a ways to go. There is a mix of good and bad. Typical of a middle of the pack P4 team.

I'll also be very surprised if we sweep - Duke, UNC, NCST and VT - that is pretty unlikely. The talent levels are pretty similar between all those teams and GT and you are likely to have a bad day somewhere. We haven't played well enough to assume we should just sweep those teams. In our 3 games against P4 opponents so far we have one one game by 3 points and a game winning FG. Lost one by three points that was a 3 possession game with 5 minutes left and 1 game by 12 points where we never got close to scoring after the blocked FG. If i'm being honest it is pretty easy to see splitting those games 2-2.

I think we can potentially win 3 out of 4 of those to get to 6 and then if we can win one of Miami, ND or UGA that would get to 7. It is not impossible to get to 8, but I would consider that quite unlikely. Less than 10%.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think we can still make a bowl this year btw
Sure because there are several teams on our schedule that were reckoned by experts to be really good and they are turning out to be really bad, like UNC and North Carolina State. Miami, Notre Dame, and UGA can be considered to be near sure losses unless this team turns it around with better, much better line play on both sides of the ball. IIWII

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Did yesterday suck? Yes. Absolutely. No denying that. We made mistakes and it costed us.

Does yesterday’s loss ruin the season? No. We have seven games left.

Was the offensive playcalling questionable? Yes. Same with time management. But Key is a newer HC still learning.

And when you look at the big picture of GT coaches of the past the only coach I can think of to come in and have big success immediately was Paul Johnson. Dodd went 4-6 his first season. Bud Carson went 18-24 through three seasons. Bill Curry inherited a terrible situation and had two straight one win seasons before slowly getting back on his feet. Ross struggled mightily at first as well before getting us to the top.

Key’s mentor, O’Leary, went 11-11 through two seasons (11-14 if you count his interim stint in ‘94) and never made a bowl until his third full year.

Be patient, as long as we make a bowl (which we CAN do) and keep Petty and the recruits locked up we’d still take a positive step forward.

Do I want to win? Yes. And sooner the better, but we knew after the TFG disaster that this would take a little bit of time.
Well said! We’ve lost 2 very close games that we had a chance to win. We’re sitting in good shape right now, just beat Duke and everything is good again.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I could be wrong, but we seem to be pretty tired and bruised. Kinda like you go out and it's all great, until you get hit in that one big bruise that won't heal, and then you are in nagging pain the whole time, which can slow you down a bit.

Had this bye week come a few weeks ago, I think we'd be in a different place right now.
The bye would have been nice earlier. I was hoping we could hang on by the skin of our teeth till we got to it. We will see if it helps.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Over the last 30 years or so it has felt like most of our Tech teams have had to play a near perfect game to win regardless of competition. The advantage of Key has been his ability to get the team focused on every game but we are still a team that can’t afford to make mistakes. We are capable of a winning record and a bowl game but there is no margin for error now.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not sure I agree, but I love the optimism.