Some Impressive Stats

Pitt had their safeties in the alley all day. They weren't going to let the rocket beat them. They were daring us to throw or run inside where they hoped they could get off blocks and stuff the B back. We chose the latter and our B backs made them pay.
CPJ is all about taking what the defense doesn't defend. I am sure he was quite content to keep things up the middle as long as we were gaining yards and keeping Pittsburgh's offense off the field. It is hard to imagine Pittsburgh's staff feeling good about giving up 480 yards. At some point you would think they would adjust. I mean we switched B backs and the replacement gashed them up the middle. I suppose it became a matter of picking your poison for them.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
I made the same comment during the game. Anthony Allen was really good about running violently to the edge and moving the chains. JJ needs to watch some film of AA.

I tend to agree, but FWIW, I think it is really hard to tell if a cut back is correct or not based on the standard camera angle. I'm sure there were a few times where the defenders had outside leverage and the A-back's decision to cut back towards midfield maximized the yardage for the play...even if i was yelling at the TV when it happened.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
The troubling trend to me is our 3rd down conversion percentage. We need that to be > 60% to really have a dominant offense. Eliminate a few errors and we are there. There is no doubt in my mind this could be a greater offensive team than 2014 if we can clean it up.

Over 60%?! In 2014 we had a 3rd down conversion rate of 57.9% which was... the best 3rd down conversion rate of any FBS team I can find, ever. EVER.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Over 60%?! In 2014 we had a 3rd down conversion rate of 57.9% which was... the best 3rd down conversion rate of any FBS team I can find, ever. EVER.

The 60% stat is based on my opinion, in regards to the competition we have played to date. I didn't intend for that to be regarded as the year end stat. Meaning that our offense is really good, but I wouldn't classify it as dominant. I should have provided more context in my original post. I understand how record breaking that would be if it were the year end stat, and the 2014 history.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Interestingly, QB's and BB's have gotten 83% of the carries this year, while's AB's have only gotten 17% of the carries (they have gained 24% of the yards)

I wonder how much of that can be attributed to the way defenses are defending GT and how much to a new QB not quite being as comfortable getting the ball pitched.

I think we are doing what works best. Pretty simple. No need to pass (backward or forward) when you can move the chains without the risk.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The 60% stat is based on my opinion, in regards to the competition we have played to date. I didn't intend for that to be regarded as the year end stat. Meaning that our offense is really good, but I wouldn't classify it as dominant. I should have provided more context in my original post. I understand how record breaking that would be if it were the year end stat, and the 2014 history.

Fwiw, there's only one team which presently has a 3rd down conversion rate of over 60%. You may want to just avoid using numbers.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I tend to agree, but FWIW, I think it is really hard to tell if a cut back is correct or not based on the standard camera angle. I'm sure there were a few times where the defenders had outside leverage and the A-back's decision to cut back towards midfield maximized the yardage for the play...even if i was yelling at the TV when it happened.
Probably even harder to tell from my seat, and you're probably right.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

But with CPJ as coach, what is really relevant is 3rd and 4th down conversion rate! I am still impressed by the 4th and 2 at the Pitt 49 with 9:53 in the first qtr with 4th and 1 at the Pitt 46 with 5:06 in the second qtr (Pitt offsides). And he would have gone for it in the second half if not for our false start on 4th and 2. Converting on those 4th downs is like picking up a turnover.

Very few coaches have gorilla balls like that.