So with CPJ as our coach how many RB's have we lost early??

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Instead of complaining about how many B-Backs haven't worked out as planned, my suggestion is to recruit outside of the box.

Perhaps Larry Csonka, Earl Campbell, or Archie Griffin have some grandchildren that like to play option football. I'd start knocking on their doors.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Why start a thread like this? GA Tech is no different than any other program as far as having players leaving early for a variety of reasons. I suggest you look at some of the factories if you don't believe me.

This is a run heavy offense. We should be getting a low 5*/high 4* RB every other year to be the feature back.....and yet cpj never has. Pretty disappointing. And the ones that were close to that level have yet to pan out for more than one season. Reminds me of chan and his inability to recruit and develop qbs.
The scheme makes a lot of backs look great. Orwin Smith for example. The scheme produces running lanes for backs that leads to glowing stats. Even Jon Dwyer's performance was discounted by the NFL as being more system than individual talent. This causes four and five star recruits to be skeptical of what they can accomplish in our system. People are recruiting against us saying the NFL will not recognize your stats at Georgia Tech as authentic. Negative recruiting is the main reason we don't get the elite running backs. They get told by everybody and their brother that they need to be in a pro set to get noticed. I don't know what the complaint is though. Our bevy of three-star guys have been pretty productive year in and year out. Would Todd Gurley-man or Nick Chubb or Leonard Fournette been head and shoulders above Roddy Jones or Anthony Allen? We will never know because those kinds of runners are going elsewhere 99% of the time---for a lot of reasons.

Animal02

Banned
The scheme makes a lot of backs look great. Orwin Smith for example. The scheme produces running lanes for backs that leads to glowing stats. Even Jon Dwyer's performance was discounted by the NFL as being more system than individual talent. This causes four and five star recruits to be skeptical of what they can accomplish in our system. People are recruiting against us saying the NFL will not recognize your stats at Georgia Tech as authentic. Negative recruiting is the main reason we don't get the elite running backs. They get told by everybody and their brother that they need to be in a pro set to get noticed. I don't know what the complaint is though. Our bevy of three-star guys have been pretty productive year in and year out. Would Todd Gurley-man or Nick Chubb or Leonard Fournette been head and shoulders above Roddy Jones or Anthony Allen? We will never know because those kinds of runners are going elsewhere 99% of the time---for a lot of reasons.
Negative recruiting is not the primary reason. Narrow band of STEM majors is the primary reason, followed closely by high admission standards, and known rigorous academics.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Here are my thoughts on Dedrick. First I think he was a special talent and possibly a once in a generation type of player with a very high ceiling. I had even thought of maybe a Heisman award for him if he stayed 2 more years and remained healthy. He is just one tough SOB and a natural born football player. We were blessed to have him last year and even in that short time, he made a huge impact on the team. He exemplified toughness and you could see our opponents were weary and reluctant to tackle him as the game wore on. Perfect for what we do on offense.

So yes, like most Tech fans, I thought Dedrick was the man and our ticket to great things in the next few years. But it did not happen so now we have to accept that, re-calibrate and move on. We will do that and we will hopefully be able to find another tough running back to fill Dedrick's shoes. You know you can be mad at CPJ, the GTAA and at Dedrick but nobody is responsible for this but Dedrick. He knew the rules and decided whatever activity was in violation of those rules was worth forgoing his scholarship at Georgia Tech. Those are choices we all confront and make in life.

I just want to thank Dedrick for the time he was here, for the contributions he made while he was here and for giving Tech a chance. Tech is a tough place on many levels and it scares off a lot of folks. At least Dedrick gave it a try and we did get to enjoy one pretty good season watching him play in a majority of our ball games. I wish him the best as he moves on in life and hope that he learns something productive from this experience. As always I hope Georgia Tech does well and we find the next great running back is already on the roster.

Go Jackets!

Evan33

Georgia Tech Fan
We have to remember that it wasn't CPJ decision to send Mills packing, as he said in the press conference, he found out that morning and it was GTAA who made the call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
No he doesn't, just makes me wonder what could have been. So much talent gone wasted.....almost never fails at GT to lose top notch talent at RB.

Didn't Dwyer also leave early for NFL? How do teams like Clemson get so many top notch guys to stick around and graduate and not jump early to NFL like Mike Williams, Watson, Gallman, etc?

One of my all time favorite breakout players at GT prior to CPJ was Tony Hollings, he looked like best RB in the nation before he went down with ACL tear against BYU
Not quite sure I am reading it right, but Watson left with a year's eligibility remaining, as did if I recall, Mike Williams. Don't know about Gallman. But I flat out guarantee you that part of Dabo's attraction to his players is that he is the guy standing up for them and telling them if he thinks they are ready and who does draft research for them ... where would they fall in the draft? Not sure that is unusual, but in terms of getting people to stick around, if they are ready for the jump, he helps them. I doubt that Johnson or Tech is any different.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We have to remember that it wasn't CPJ decision to send Mills packing, as he said in the press conference, he found out that morning and it was GTAA who made the call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice 1st post, welcome to the forum.

Fwiw, its a GTAA rule with which CPJ agrees that sent him packing. Theoretically, CPJ could've argued to change the rule over the last 10 years to get more flexibility if he wanted. In the end, he agrees that rules are meaningless if they're not enforced.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Nice 1st post, welcome to the forum.

Fwiw, its a GTAA rule with which CPJ agrees that sent him packing. Theoretically, CPJ could've argued to change the rule over the last 10 years to get more flexibility if he wanted. In the end, he agrees that rules are meaningless if they're not enforced.
for the non-Techers among us, explain please. What rule? I feel like I have been parachuted into the unknown at midnight.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Here are my thoughts on Dedrick. First I think he was a special talent and possibly a once in a generation type of player with a very high ceiling. I had even thought of maybe a Heisman award for him if he stayed 2 more years and remained healthy. He is just one tough SOB and a natural born football player. We were blessed to have him last year and even in that short time, he made a huge impact on the team. He exemplified toughness and you could see our opponents were weary and reluctant to tackle him as the game wore on. Perfect for what we do on offense.

So yes, like most Tech fans, I thought Dedrick was the man and our ticket to great things in the next few years. But it did not happen so now we have to accept that, re-calibrate and move on. We will do that and we will hopefully be able to find another tough running back to fill Dedrick's shoes. You know you can be mad at CPJ, the GTAA and at Dedrick but nobody is responsible for this but Dedrick. He knew the rules and decided whatever activity was in violation of those rules was worth forgoing his scholarship at Georgia Tech. Those are choices we all confront and make in life.

I just want to thank Dedrick for the time he was here, for the contributions he made while he was here and for giving Tech a chance. Tech is a tough place on many levels and it scares off a lot of folks. At least Dedrick gave it a try and we did get to enjoy one pretty good season watching him play in a majority of our ball games. I wish him the best as he moves on in life and hope that he learns something productive from this experience. As always I hope Georgia Tech does well and we find the next great running back is already on the roster.

Go Jackets!

Good to see u posting.
u seldom have posted on offense and have been the staunches supporter of the T Roof defense . Based on your posts I believe u are close to the staff.

SOON AND ON THE PPROPER THREAD
could u say how much better they will be in the first game. I think they could surprise a lot of folks.

PS did u see my post in defense of T Roof.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is a negative thread that has no way of being beneficial. Recommend shutting down.

In off-season let's do a thread as to " what are the things gt can do to better support athletes w split family and ?? background. "
I will check w coach hurt who left a few years ago and I will check w son who interviewed at Baylor to be the academics player development guy. ( didn't get it but can get info.). My son is high school coach who has stayed involved w his players that go on to college and NFL. He has helped Byron bell loose weight and get to be an ol beast, (panthers, titans, and now cowboys) . Byron has had a very tough early life and has needed lots of support. In last 3 years at my sons fatherly and he coach cajoling he went from fat 385 plus to 325 lean guy that plays all 6 positions. PERHAPS gr8 can engage the hs coaches into help

Treating the mills event like a major safety investigation could prevent losing .
I met him and his dad and this is sad.

As for this year.
Like jerry says

GO JACKETS

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
for the non-Techers among us, explain please. What rule? I feel like I have been parachuted into the unknown at midnight.
No one knows for sure nor do we have the right to know which rule it was. It has nothing to due with Tech. Any College, University, Academy or Institute officially would be giving the same explanation, none. It's a privacy issue and they don't give out specifics other than the student broke team or school rules.

Animal02

Banned

Go Jackets!
I think there is a lot of people that show up on campuses nation wide, coming from schools where they were the "big man on campus" (academic and or athletic) and used to getting away with more the the average person. Tech can be really brutal to those types.....I know, I was one ( on the academic side). My one roommate who graduated top of his class and lasted 4 quarters at Tech. I would expect the same issue with athletes.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
No one knows for sure nor do we have the right to know which rule it was. It has nothing to due with Tech. Any College, University, Academy or Institute officially would be giving the same explanation, none. It's a privacy issue and they don't give out specifics other than the student broke team or school rules.
Well, sure read to me like somebody knew and thus it was no big secret and wasn't Johnson's rule, so ... I don't get the confidentiality thing anyway as these are grown men and need to man up sooner rather than later. We ain't in high school any more.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, sure read to me like somebody knew and thus it was no big secret and wasn't Johnson's rule, so ... I don't get the confidentiality thing anyway as these are grown men and need to man up sooner rather than later. We ain't in high school any more.
The people that say they know are either speculating or have just heard rumors. Some people flat out said what they thought it was. You should be able to go back and see if they have not been deleted. Schools don't give out details for infractions for the same reasons they don't give out students grades to everyone. Sorry I cannot give you a happier resolution:(