So who's gonna play right tackle for us this year?

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I really don't think the players can be judged entirely on their performance for last year, because there appeared to be disharmony on the team. I feel sure Chamberlain and other linemen will do better if the right attitude is exhibited on the team. Also, some of the mistakes by Thomas can be forgiven because of the lack of a regular routine of playing time in the games. If he is chosen as the QB from Spring Practice, then the extra time as first string starter in practice and game time situations will help him adjust to game time performance. Until then, I doubt if we can really judge him on last year's spot performances. We should know some trend after the first couple of games.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion this play's ineffectiveness is entirely on Laskey. Which is cause for concern as he takes over sole starting responsibility at B-Back presumably.

He gets the defender on the ground and JT keeps moving and either fires the ball downfield or gets a gain on the ground.
I don't understand why he goes for the cut. All he has to do is shield him from JT. Miami, as well as many of our conference rivals, is well schooled on cut block avoidance. We need to either improve our technique or change it.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
why don't we just put in another O-lineman for the B-back on obvious passing plays? jumbo package baby

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
and heck yes he should have just taken off for green pastures with that big hole in front of him.....looks like a 10 yard gain at the very least

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
and heck yes he should have just taken off for green pastures with that big hole in front of him.....looks like a 10 yard gain at the very least

I hate to throw any more negatives at Vad. He is no longer here and it just doesn't matter. But this was something which bugged me from time to time. In the Georgia game he had a chance to run for a big gain but chose to throw a pass to a completely covered receiver. He always seemed to have pass first on his mind. And he was a good open field runner. Much more could have been made of that part of his game. I am hoping that Justin will be quicker to tuck and run when the opportunities are there.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think may be reading too much into this clip. Everybody misses blocks occasionally. I think Chamberlain's problems had more to do with moving before the snap – he did that multiple times in two straight games – then with his blocking. Still, it sure would have been nice to have the OL we planned for at the start of the year intact. No problemo if that had happened, imho. Almost everything we attribute to a) poor coaching or b) disharmony or c) happy feet by our QBs is, I think, better explained by losing three OLs before the season started, then losing Bailey, then losing Beno. We played the meat of the season with a pre-season 3rd string OT, a pre-season 2nd string OG, and a longtime starting OG playing OT instead. I was surprised that we blocked as well as we did, given the circumstances.

But every cloud has a silver lining. Now we have experienced players coming back and good talent coming up. If I were going to predict, I'd say Roberts at RT, Burden at C, with Braun moving over to LT and Devine taking his place. But we'll see soon enough.

And, yes, Zach needs to start keeping his feet when he blocks. Listen to the coaches in practice, then do what works in games. That's what I always did when I played after I realized that what my coaches told me to do is advice, not orders.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
The old-timers will probably remember this: This is really not a knock on Vad Lee, it just reminded me of another quarterback at Tech in the past. Vad Lee was fast enough to take the ball and run, but was not quick enough to elude tacklers.

Tech had a quarterback name Eddie McShan, quite a few years ago. He was not a power runner, nor a finesse runner with the ball. However, if he ever went back to pass, and got out of a bad situation, he would always make a big gain as long as a tackler was after him from behind. He could then really turn on the burners.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I have a question for you guys that know the X's and O's. I thought I remembered reading that we pushed our splits closer together in a couple games this year and it was successful, did we do this all year or just for a few games? And if we did and then spread it back out, why?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When looking at that one play, there was a lot that failed to happen. Take another look at Perkins, though. Obviously he was assigned some pass pro out in the flat. However, he hangs around, out in space all alone with nobody to block and just wanders with his back to the QB. If there is nobody to block, get your head around and squat in the zone and become a dump off target. This is one of the things that has driven me crazy. The lack of throws to potential safety valves has been a huge problem. Look at the space out there. I forget the down and distance but give yourself a chance.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
When looking at that one play, there was a lot that failed to happen. Take another look at Perkins, though. Obviously he was assigned some pass pro out in the flat. However, he hangs around, out in space all alone with nobody to block and just wanders with his back to the QB. If there is nobody to block, get your head around and squat in the zone and become a dump off target. This is one of the things that has driven me crazy. The lack of throws to potential safety valves has been a huge problem. Look at the space out there. I forget the down and distance but give yourself a chance.
tbh, a safety valve wouldn't have mattered much on that particular play. Thomas was looking down his primary target, who was actually just breaking open, when he got nailed from the blind side.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Perkins might have also drawn the LB assigned to the zone off the WR a little sooner and thereby opening the throwing window a little sooner. JT may have had the opportunity to throw a bit sooner.

Hard to really know what's going on unless we know how the ABs are coached in that situation. Lots of bad decisions all around for our guys on that play.

I've noticed that there are so many of the little things on pass plays that our guys miss. Wonder if its a coaching issue or a lack of focus on our players' part.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Perkins might have also drawn the LB assigned to the zone off the WR a little sooner and thereby opening the throwing window a little sooner. JT may have had the opportunity to throw a bit sooner.

Hard to really know what's going on unless we know how the ABs are coached in that situation. Lots of bad decisions all around for our guys on that play.

I've noticed that there are so many of the little things on pass plays that our guys miss. Wonder if its a coaching issue or a lack of focus on our players' part.

This play is a microcosm of our pass attack--CHAOS everywhere-- this is COACHING or lack of it

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I like how most in this thread are already blaming that play on JT. No. It's pretty simple to me. Chamberlain got flat out beat. The DE was running a full 40 at JT.

JT did a good job realizing Laskeys block was ineffective and stopped the roll out and attempted to set his feet and deliver the ball to what appears me a very wide open receiver for a huge gain if not a TD.

So....everyone complains because Vad never stopped to set his feet but we have a play here where the QB did set his feet and we all think he should have kept scrambling because of not one but two whiffed blocks.

Yes. Armchair.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
play.jpg

Guys, normally I am SUPER critical of our pass block schemes. But come on. Chamberlain presnap is in an angled 2pt stance with the DE playing a 7tech. Not a wide 9 or some crazy blitzer off the corner. He just flat out took two steps to his right and let the DE go...turned him loose. Didn't even touch him.

Perkins has LB/S responsibility. The LB doesn't blitz...he either needs to help Laskey chip the other DE or go to the flats. This is on the play/scheme. Perkins did what he was taught. He wasn't taught to release or provide WDE support

Laskey 1 on 1 with a DE is also hard for me to fathom on the playside. Again, if Perkins helps I think its ok. But solo again is a tough thing to execute consistently...

But regardless of all that. Chamberlain flat out whiffed and it wasn't a scheme issue. The scheme gave him the right stance and alignment. If laskey gets a good cut this play is a non-issue.

Now, I can show many plays that to me are scheme issues in the passing game. But this one was not close to the biggest offender

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I have been real critical of the RT play last year, on this play he got beat. As others have said more went wrong on that play, than went correct. When this many folks are not executing, I think you can say our players were not prepared to execute this play.