So who leaves? Attrition.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Without spring practice getting down to 85 in the fall will be a lot tougher. Kids won't know where they stand with ATL status.
I agree. I thought some players would figure out if they were going to get playing time or not. Not sure how this is going to work out now.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I thought some players would figure out if they were going to get playing time or not. Not sure how this is going to work out now.

I have a strong suspicion that the coaches have a really good idea of who they expect to be ATL at this point. Of course there would probably be a few surprises had spring practice been able to continue and that's really unfortunate. But I think the positions where we have a glut of athletes who are not ATL at their positions AND are not expected to contribute on special teams will have that made very clear to them. I suspect as well that there will be a few who might be ATL and the coaches see a different role for the athlete than the athlete sees for himself (more or less playing time, used in different ways than the athlete wants, stuff like that). And from those we will likely see some attrition.

As I said the lack of spring practice is an very sad loss of opportunity for some kids and I hate it for them. But I think the coaches know most of what they need to know in order to establish with whom they will need to have tougher conversations.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I have a strong suspicion that the coaches have a really good idea of who they expect to be ATL at this point. Of course there would probably be a few surprises had spring practice been able to continue and that's really unfortunate. But I think the positions where we have a glut of athletes who are not ATL at their positions AND are not expected to contribute on special teams will have that made very clear to them. I suspect as well that there will be a few who might be ATL and the coaches see a different role for the athlete than the athlete sees for himself (more or less playing time, used in different ways than the athlete wants, stuff like that). And from those we will likely see some attrition.

As I said the lack of spring practice is an very sad loss of opportunity for some kids and I hate it for them. But I think the coaches know most of what they need to know in order to establish with whom they will need to have tougher conversations.

Since the decision to remove a scholarship, iiuc, can't be directly football performance, it's possible that guys who are graduating/have graduated before Fall camp might be at risk. By my count, we currently have 89 scholarship guys on our 2020-21 roster. So, 4 will have to leave, and I would expect them to come from our RS Senior, RS Junior classes.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Since the decision to remove a scholarship, iiuc, can't be directly football performance, it's possible that guys who are graduating/have graduated before Fall camp might be at risk. By my count, we currently have 89 scholarship guys on our 2020-21 roster. So, 4 will have to leave, and I would expect them to come from our RS Senior, RS Junior classes.

Precisely because of the part of your post I've highlighted in bold is why I noted that it's only "likely" that we'll see some attrition from those types of cases. What I meant by tougher conversations is that it's always difficult to tell someone that you don't see them the same way they see themselves. It's just a sad type of conversation to have with someone under any circumstances and even worse when the young man with whom you have to have that conversation really had worked super hard in the off-season and felt like this spring was his time to shine. I hate it for those kids even if they stay at GT because it might mean the end of a dream.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Precisely because of the part of your post I've highlighted in bold is why I noted that it's only "likely" that we'll see some attrition from those types of cases. What I meant by tougher conversations is that it's always difficult to tell someone that you don't see them the same way they see themselves. It's just a sad type of conversation to have with someone under any circumstances and even worse when the young man with whom you have to have that conversation really had worked super hard in the off-season and felt like this spring was his time to shine. I hate it for those kids even if they stay at GT because it might mean the end of a dream.

I agree. I guess I wasn't sure what you understood by "have that made very clear to them." As I said in another thread, I can imagine potentially a "put yourself ahead of your team?" conversation which might lead to voluntary departures. So, I was just hypothesizing that without the Spring practice for guys to make their cases one way or the other, it might make "graduation" the way to get down to 85. I'm not really clear on all the rules about this.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Cole Neuber. He left the baseball team at the end of last season after getting 18 at bats in 2 years. He’s been working out and practicing with the football team since the end of the season.
So, was he a scholarship baseball guy? I know they split up the scholarships in baseball, but as we're already over the limit if everyone stayed, I would think he might be a non-athletic scholarship guy at this point.