So who leaves? Attrition.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
not surprising. CGC is a far superior DC coach to Nate Woody. We seriously lacked fundamentals like tackling and lines to ball carriers under Woody. Lots to work on but already saw vast improvement in those 2 areas in 1 year of CGC.
Which years were the worst under Woody? Did you see a decline or an improvement?

slugboy

Staff member
Woody's only year was last year (the year before Collins--2018). I picked a number (Yards Per Play for Defense) to show the trend of our defense since 2003 (earliest year I could get the stats):

upload_2020-3-10_8-10-4.png

Here's our ranking for the same stat over time:
upload_2020-3-10_8-11-7.png

Woody had a transition year, so you'd hope he would improve in a year or two, but it was a rough year--one of our worst in recent memory. I think if you're willing to say that Woody needed time to get his system in place, you need to say the same for Patenaude.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
That was my point.

But I think the point the poster was making is comparing the one year of Woody to the one year of CGC/Thacker so far. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with either of you. Just throwing out that it sounded to me like a one year to one year comparison.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
not surprising. CGC is a far superior DC coach to Nate Woody. We seriously lacked fundamentals like tackling and lines to ball carriers under Woody. Lots to work on but already saw vast improvement in those 2 areas in 1 year of CGC.
Actually, I think it was more the transition to a new system that made the difference in 2018. I think Woody's D would have been about the same as this year's, once the players got used to it. With Thacker, it was essentially back to Ted with closer coverage. No doubt many players were happy with that; it was what they were recruited to play. Of course, the big difference would have come with Big B out there. He was a major loss in more ways then one.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
But I think the point the poster was making is comparing the one year of Woody to the one year of CGC/Thacker so far. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with either of you. Just throwing out that it sounded to me like a one year to one year comparison.
I’m just trying to say that making a comparison or saying that CGC is better than Woody is impossible from 1 year of data points.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually, I think it was more the transition to a new system that made the difference in 2018. I think Woody's D would have been about the same as this year's, once the players got used to it. With Thacker, it was essentially back to Ted with closer coverage. No doubt many players were happy with that; it was what they were recruited to play. Of course, the big difference would have come with Big B out there. He was a major loss in more ways then one.

It was a transition to a new system in 2019 too....and that transition saw better tackling and overall fundamentals than those displayed under Nate Woody.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We've only had CGC and Thacker one year and looked better with basic D fundamentals in that 1 year of a new system than in 1 year of Woody's new system.
Did you read the post? That's largely because we went back to the same D that Roof used, but with tighter coverage. So it's actually - what? - four year in with basically the same system now.

But no question that Collins is a D mavin. I expect we'll see better results going forward because of that.

Milwaukee

Banned
Woody was an upgrade on D for us.

Collins is an upgrade on D for us.

Both solid imo, Collins is better though. DB play is about to be best in the nation over the next few years. I still hate that Nate gave up his position to come here for 1 season, just didn’t seem fair.

Edit: sorry to continue the derail, didn’t even realize what thread I was in I was just hopping in the discussion.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We've only had CGC and Thacker one year and looked better with basic D fundamentals in that 1 year of a new system than in 1 year of Woody's new system.

I think we see what we want to see. I saw positives on the D last year, but I also saw plenty of horrific defense last year and that resulted in a 96th ranked unit per DFEI. The year prior many posters were saying they saw improvement in various parts of Woody's D as compared to Roof. Our D Looked horrible in 2019. It looked horrible in 2018.

Biggest problem with judging Woody was that he was trying to shift from a 4-3 to a 3-4, and Thacker runs more out of 4-3 personnel, which we happened to have more of. Inheriting a Swilling with experience at CB was huge for Thacker too. Had Woody been here last year, I dare say we'd have seen improvement under his scheme as well.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Both solid imo, Collins is better though. DB play is about to be best in the nation over the next few years. I still hate that Nate gave up his position to come here for 1 season, just didn’t seem fair.

Edit: sorry to continue the derail, didn’t even realize what thread I was in I was just hopping in the discussion.

This. Both Woody and Collins/Thacker were/are good for GT. Those facts aren't mutually exclusive.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Riase worked a miracle with our DL. They actually decent under CNW

GT19901990

Georgia Tech Fan

Agree on Collins is an upgrade on D, but to say our DB play is going to be the best in Nation in next couple years is quite laughable at this point. They are pedestrian at best right now. We had 7 interceptions all of last year, that’s almost worst in the nation. Our DL is way below average- you can’t have the best DB play in the nation without an elite DL to cut down on their cover time. Sorry to be so negative but we have such a long ways to go, maybe someday we get there but it will not be within the next few years

GTFLETCH

Banned
Agree on Collins is an upgrade on D, but to say our DB play is going to be the best in Nation in next couple years is quite laughable at this point. They are pedestrian at best right now. We had 7 interceptions all of last year, that’s almost worst in the nation. Our DL is way below average- you can’t have the best DB play in the nation without an elite DL to cut down on their cover time. Sorry to be so negative but we have such a long ways to go, maybe someday we get there but it will not be within the next few years
I wouldn't sleep on Tobais Oliver at DB... CGC knows what he is doing!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Without spring practice getting down to 85 in the fall will be a lot tougher. Kids won't know where they stand with ATL status.