So where is the talent???

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I am not one to rain on a parade because it is a fantastic win for us. But lets keep in mind a couple of those turnovers were given to us by GT not forced at all. The interception was the best thrown ball the whole game.

But I think we were forced to try some new things with a few key players out and a very tough team to face we had to be creative. It paid massive dividends. I just hope we can keep the pressure on for 3 more games. I am optimistic about how much heart was shown this game. And I am the minority that was happy about the last few drives. Our defense gave up yards and eventually some points but keep the clock running the whole time. They were smart about coverage and kept them in bounds.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Does coach Roof get any credit?
Of course he gets credit forreading gt swarm and being agressive w lots of different looks. He did it in spite of also seeing many posts hinting that only fresh and soph players are talented enough to run an aggressive defense THAT CAUSED MORE TURN OVERS THAN BIG GAINS. .

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not one to rain on a parade because it is a fantastic win for us. But lets keep in mind a couple of those turnovers were given to us by GT not forced at all. The interception was the best thrown ball the whole game.
I will be the first to admit that most of the TOs we have gotten on defense this year have been gifts, but this game it seemed to me that we forced them. I can only think of 3, although I know there were 4. The initial KO, we punched the ball out, The fumble by Hodges was ripped out by Austin, the EZ pick was a good play in the secondary on a ball that had a chance. I can't remember the other. There was another near TO where one of our rushers swatted the arm of their QB and caused a big jumble.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I will be the first to admit that most of the TOs we have gotten on defense this year have been gifts, but this game it seemed to me that we forced them. I can only think of 3, although I know there were 4. The initial KO, we punched the ball out, The fumble by Hodges was ripped out by Austin, the EZ pick was a good play in the secondary on a ball that had a chance. I can't remember the other. There was another near TO where one of our rushers swatted the arm of their QB and caused a big jumble.

The interception was a very poorly thrown ball. It went straight to his gut. The ball that austin ripped out reminded me of GT old days. We used to rip out balls every game. It seemed that was a focus on defense was ripping at the ball. It sure did make a big difference saturday.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Young DLs played a big part as well. Contributions from a lot of guys today.

I noticed Brandon Adams was actually playing on the D line when the Hokies were in the middle of the field (he has previously been restricted to goal line defense or mop up duty). Any idea how many plays he played? I have been begging for that for a while and noticed him when he stopped a run for 1 yard, and I went "aha!", but I have no idea if he played a lot or if I just happened to see him the one series he was out there. Anyone else know?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Auston had two picks...the EZ interception which was arguably a poor decision by their QB and/or an excellent defensive coverage play, and the one over the middle where Evans led his TE (?) too far and threw it right to Austin again. Maybe Evans is color blind and thinks Austin is one of his WR's??

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The thing is, QB's will throw poor balls when they are having a tough day. When they have all day to throw and get in a rhythm, you don't see them throwing balls directly into the gut of a defender.

This. This times 1,000. I thought the decision to bring heavy pressure early and often rattled Eavns and he had happy feet most of the rest of the game. It was clear on the one throw over the middle he did not plant his back foot, and hence his throw sailed wide over an open receiver who might have gone for a TD if he had been on target.

Risk/reward...what so many of us have been begging for all year. Finally!!

NB-It is ENTIRELY possible this approach gets torched by a better QB (I am thinking of Eason when I write this).

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
The thing is, QB's will throw poor balls when they are having a tough day. When they have all day to throw and get in a rhythm, you don't see them throwing balls directly into the gut of a defender.

I didn't really think of it like this because I am not used to pressuring the QB that much but your probably right.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Defense in the NCAA is just as much about putting your opponent in a position to fail as it is putting yourself in a position to succeed. It just seems to me we had been trying to defend every possibility on a play instead of defending likely possibilities and disguising what you do enough so you aren't completely predictable.

Cutcliffe said it coming out of halftime with UNC. Duke just needed to stay on the field for enough plays and good things would happen. This doesn't mean preventing the big play like Roof seemed to be trying. It means making them work for it and trying to keep enough contain to not get burned.

I think what we have changed up front is good, and I think the things we do in coverage aren't bad, but need to be less predictable, more varied, and more aggressive in the right spots -- and the right spots are often first and second down instead of 3rd and long.

Last edited: