So this cargo plane

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
This may have already been addressed this morning or even last night but I caught MBob on the radio on the way home from work. He said that the Omni air travel arrangement was made by the event organizer. After GT found out about the airplane that was lined up, GT fought it. It took awhile to get the organizer's attention but it was resolved within the past week to GT's satisfaction.
That's a good CYA story by MBob to try and save face with his new employer, not sure how true though. If it's true that the event organizers set it up, you'd think BC would have similar issues (although they may have been helped by the relatively close proximity and Boston's large Irish population, which may have made their travel arrangements cheap enough that they never considered a discount carrier). If true, it really makes this organization putting on the game look like crap...wasn't there already an issue with the game receiving certification too, and people alleging that this company was nearly a scam?

ramblin' wagon

Georgia Tech Fan
That's a good CYA story by MBob to try and save face with his new employer, not sure how true though. If it's true that the event organizers set it up, you'd think BC would have similar issues

I don't want to defend MBob but right now it is his word against an AJC article with unnamed sources. Also we don't know that BC wasn't also going to fly Omni.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Made up??? Once again, I ask, did you read the article?
".... Omni Air — a low-budget carrier that made its mark in transporting cargo..."
We are not doing negative recruiting. We are saying as Tech fans that we demand better for our athletes than what MBob was apparently willing to provide.
I think you are reading too much into this. Physicians were originally barbers. That is how they made their mark. But I don't think any physicians today cut hair or use bleeding to heal people.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
That's a good CYA story by MBob to try and save face with his new employer, not sure how true though. If it's true that the event organizers set it up, you'd think BC would have similar issues (although they may have been helped by the relatively close proximity and Boston's large Irish population, which may have made their travel arrangements cheap enough that they never considered a discount carrier). If true, it really makes this organization putting on the game look like crap...wasn't there already an issue with the game receiving certification too, and people alleging that this company was nearly a scam?
That's a good point about what BC's arrangements were but MBob sounded sincere.

I don't know if anyone else heard this interview but I came away thinking that he was frustrated with the uniqueness of GT especially in regards to the funding of the GTAA and its budget. One of the first things that came out of his mouth was an acknowledgement of the budget he will have to work with at Perdue and it being enhanced by the Big 10 network deal. He was asked about his relationship with PJ and I came away thinking there had been some friction. I also came away thinking that he is welcoming the idea of moving back to Indiana to be with this family, especially his (new?) grandchild.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This may have already been addressed this morning or even last night but I caught MBob on the radio on the way home from work yesterday. He said that the Omni air travel arrangement was made by the event organizer. After GT found out about the airplane that was lined up, GT fought it. It took awhile to get the organizer's attention but it was resolved within the past week to GT's satisfaction.

Maybe I will be proven wrong but I doubt it....I call BS. Maybe the organizers were the origin of the idea....that's possible.....but Tech having to work to change it and fix it? BS. They only had to fix it after either coming up with the idea on their own or signing off on it.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Maybe I will be proven wrong but I doubt it....I call BS. Maybe the organizers were the origin of the idea....that's possible.....but Tech having to work to change it and fix it? BS. They only had to fix it after either coming up with the idea on their own or signing off on it.
Are you surmising that GT knew of the crummy plane before they signed the deal? I couldn't imagine that being the case but I guess anything's possible. I just think they didn't drill down that deep during the deal-making and reasonably assumed that the plane ride would be first class and not in steerage.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Here is a link to the article that the cargo plane nonsense came from

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/georgia-tech-was-dysfunction-junction-under-bobins/nsCmC/

Go ahead, actually read the article and comprehend it.

Nowhere does it say the plane was a cargo plane. Omni Air has passenger aircraft. Sure some of them are old. They don't fly our military personnel into Afghanistan. They do fly our troops from the US to Kuwait on chartered flights. Transport into theater for US military is only by military aircraft. Which brings me to my next point.

No ****. That is what riding on a C-17 or C-130 is. I have flown Omni Air from the US to Kuwait and then C-17 to Afghanistan and done the reverse back. I am not advocating flying with Omni but you *******es have successfully perpetuated the myth that we were gonna put our players on a cargo plane like cattle. Good job.
What? They didn't rate cattle treatment?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I graduated 2008 BSME. My whole point was that it has been mentioned multiple times on this forum that we were gonna put out players on a cargo plane and that is a gross exaggeration. I have flown on Omni and on an actual cargo plane. There is a difference. We shouldn't fly Omni because we are better than that. Maybe I wasn't clear about that the first time.
Now, all joking aside. I get it that the suggested aircraft was not a "cargo plane." It was, however, a dirt cheap, minimum "conveniences" airline, meaning as the story said, seats with no arm rests, no snacks, games, movies and as far as can be proved, actual jet engines. Okay, I made that part up but you get it. A bunch of us have flown the Atlantic in various machines and unless we are blessed with executive suite privileges and charter jets, it is going to be a long and unpleasant flight even in first class. Putting 85 brawny football players and all the accompanying support staff, equipment, bands, etc., on that operation was just a ridiculous idea. Probably if there was a question about it then Bobinski showed why he was a dreadful hire without a clue. He is gone and from all indications good riddance. Given that if a writer goes hyperbolic, exaggerates figuratively or raises odd similes to make his point -- BOBINSKI DID NOT HAVE A CLUE!! -- then, point made. Which was the point, so to speak. Calling them cargo planes was not in the grand scheme of things all that wrong. There is still out there in vinyl "The Buttondowned Mind of Bob Newhart" his riff on "The Grace L. Ferguson Airline (And Storm Door Company.)" You know, the one GT was flying to Ireland.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Here is Omni's Wiki page, listing their fleet being made up of 767's and 777's.

I'm not defending Bobinski whatsoever in his accomplishments at GT and I get that GT can be perceived as cheap but let's be real. First, the word got out that the plane was a cargo plane implying by some that it was C-130 or the like and that the team would be in jump seats the entire trip. Now it's being acknowledged that "well, it's not a cargo plane in the truest sense of the word". My point is,...let's talk the facts that we know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omni_Air_International

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Any Vietnam vets - remember FLYING TIGER. Can u say sardines?
So nervous on way dudnt notice.
So tired on way back slept the whole way.

The players still joke about the cargo plane, BUT THEY LOVED IRELAND.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Here is Omni's Wiki page, listing their fleet being made up of 767's and 777's.

I'm not defending Bobinski whatsoever in his accomplishments at GT and I get that GT can be perceived as cheap but let's be real. First, the word got out that the plane was a cargo plane implying by some that it was C-130 or the like and that the team would be in jump seats the entire trip. Now it's being acknowledged that "well, it's not a cargo plane in the truest sense of the word". My point is,...let's talk the facts that we know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omni_Air_International
I don't have a clue where "cargo" came from, but I do know how people convey thoughts and ideas. I know, for instance, that my friend flying rescue helicopters in Vietnam was not really in an orange crate. I know an uncle on a destroyer in the Korean War was not on a tin can. And that the C119 that I hitched a ride on many years ago was not a flying box car. And that the Chicago typewriter was not in fact a real typewriter, but ... It is just the English language at work. If the idea of "cargo" was to convey cheapness and inconvenience, then it worked. Now, I am told though I do not know that such language substitutions in Germany would go kerplunk on the kitchen floor as Germans tend to be literalists. They would lay an egg, so to speak.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I don't have a clue where "cargo" came from, but I do know how people convey thoughts and ideas. I know, for instance, that my friend flying rescue helicopters in Vietnam was not really in an orange crate. I know an uncle on a destroyer in the Korean War was not on a tin can. And that the C119 that I hitched a ride on many years ago was not a flying box car. And that the Chicago typewriter was not in fact a real typewriter, but ... It is just the English language at work. If the idea of "cargo" was to convey cheapness and inconvenience, then it worked. Now, I am told though I do not know that such language substitutions in Germany would go kerplunk on the kitchen floor as Germans tend to be literalists. They would lay an egg, so to speak.
Somebody was correct a few replies above that this thread should die. They are correct.

Hey...I see how this language thing works! I hope this thread doesn't take it personally. :)

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
so when I sat in that jump seat along the wall, freezing my tail off and staring at two Humvees on my way to Kuwait City in 2003, I wasn't in a cargo plane?