So, should we withdraw the appeal on post season ban?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I agree we should get their input. That said, they can say yes to playing this year, serving the ban next year, having the option to leave with immediate eligibility.

To the extent you're willing to leave, you have no downside, unless GT is where you really want to be.

They could. That being said, I think it's less likely that they transfer if they feel like they had a say in the decision. Also, everyone's different, but personally I would not feel right if if I made a decision that was worse for the program, but benefited me, and then bailed out.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
If withdrawing the appeal was clearly in the best interests of GT at this time, then the GTAA would surely have done it by now. It may be a simple matter of the GTAA giving every last second for the NCAA to come out with a decision one way or the other. There is no moratorium on the two sides communicating with each other. There could be an information flow going on. If there is a deadline for a withdraw of all or part of the appeal, there is no reason to announce a decision before the deadline.

The AJC article about Zelnak talking lawsuit is certainly an indication that there is maneuvering going on. If Stansbury generates evidence that suggests that a lawsuit will have some traction, then he has my blessings. The NCAA needs to be called on their favoritism and sticking it to smaller programs. I can live with those risks to see the NCAA called to the mat.

Otherwise, the situation is not complicated and it a decision hasn't been announced it is because there is no need to make a decision at this time. Just like the Bengals could announce who they will select with the first pick of the NFL draft at any time, but there is no need to do so at this time. Some new info could come to light.

I understand that discussions have been underway for quite a while. But remember, this is the NCAA we are dealing with.

GT19901990

Georgia Tech Fan
So much for getting a first day bye at the ACC tourney..... figures. Good grief it’s painful being a GT fan sometimes.

The NCAA ram rods us every chance they get. Takes away our ACC championship in football under CPJ for Bebe accepting like $200 worth of clothes and now this.

Meanwhile Auburn pays Scam Newton to come their for a year and they win a Natty in football and then hires Bruce Pearl the sleaziest coach in all of basketball and they make a final 4. The NCAA has never thought about punishing them for anything . Such a load of crap

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
No doubt the GTAA is also disappointed in having to make this decision. The irony is that we were not a slam dunk for the NIT unless we could sweep this week and win at least one in the ACCT.

I have a question about money . Do we still get our share of the conference payout from the NCAAT?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The prudent move considering who we have coming back, in addition to the best recruiting class Pastner has signed. Outside of Banks, all of our top contributors return, along with another year of development and chemistry with Alvarado/Devoe/Wright leading the way. Next year could be a BIG year for us potentially...IF everyone remains healthy.

Really not much to play for this season even if we win the last two games and win 2 games in the Tournament. I think the only way we would have made the NCAAT this season is to win ACCT and get in automatically...chances of that happening would have been small considering how inconsistent we've been this year.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
**** the NCAA for the way they operate and Pastner too! Bull**** penalties and and a big F you to Josh for letting all this **** happen under his watch. Nothing like going a full decade with no NCAA tournament trips.....
We damn sure better be a 20 plus win team and make it to the second weekend in March!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The team will be a contender for NCAA tourney next year. Very low chance for even the NIT this year and then no chance for either next year. I hope this means the main kids are coming back for next year. The early losses without Jose and usher hurt our chances. It took a few games even then to get the offense going.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I am comfortable with this. Suing would be a risky proposition and the cloud would still be hanging over our program.

The biggest thing about suing NCAA (outside of wasted money) is retribution in the future.

Hopefully by accepting the postseason ban, the NCAA is lenient when it comes time to review the other penalties.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The biggest thing about suing NCAA (outside of wasted money) is retribution in the future.

Hopefully by accepting the postseason ban, the NCAA is lenient when it comes time to review the other penalties.

That would imply the NCAA is a rational actor. That's why we self impose penalties in the first place and it almost never works in our favor.

We should have sued imo.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with the decision by TStan - takes all the questions out of next season and ensures no mass exodus of players. It was the only decision he could make - and in the best long term interest of the program. Barring significant injuries, next years team is NCAA calliber - may not be as strong defensively without Banks, but should be better offensively and deeper.

There are two things with this that are really bothersome
1. Why does it take 4+months for the NCAA to rule on the appeal? It should take a few weeks at most once the school appeals.
2. Perceived inconsistencies of how sanctions are given out. I agree the sanctions to GT seem excessive given what happened and when compared to other cases.