So if JO5 leaves us, what comes next? Do we have a target for his spot?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The JO staying / leaving thread is confusing as all get out; so I figured I would start a new thread, with a specific title and hope we can get some info going here.

Selfishly, I would hate to see JO leave because I think we will be in some trouble without him, but I am happy to see him get a shot at his dreams. That is ultimately what GT is about, preparing it's students (and our fellow Alumni) to go chase dreams. Good on him for getting it done in 2 years - for my part I was happy to get out in 4!

Please do try to keep the convo to what we do if he leaves (who we take, what adjustments we might make, predictions, etc).

Also for what it is worth let me say at the jump, don't use this as a bash Josh / his decision thread. Thanks in advance!

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
My preference would be to hold the scholarship for the class of 2019. As others have mentioned, the fact that an little known 3 star got the opportunity to play right away and excel to a point of making himself eligible for the draft after 2 seasons will appeal to some recruits.

I'd like JO to come back however we have several players coming back who can play the 2/3 position along with the new recruits. Devoe will likely start at the 2 with Phillips and Alston backing him up. Haywood 'could' start at the 3 with several options to back him up, if CJP wants to go small or big.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We won't be as good a team without Josh, but I'm thrilled for him, even if it sets us back a bit. He came to GT to develop towards his professional aspirations and he's on the precipice of achieving that. Even as a high 2nd round pick, trends have seen those picks receive some decent guaranteed money in recent years.

With his departure, I think we're more likely to depend on those already in the fold to step up. First, it's going to be near impossible to find a suitable FR or grad transfer at this point to replace Josh's production. Second, we actually have quite a bit of perimeter depth.

I think Jose & Devoe start and also back each other up. Assuming that absorbs 60-70 of 120 perimeter minutes, we have the balance spread across CGB, Shembari, Alston, Moore, as well as possibly Moses & Sjolund. Minutes will be absorbed, not at Josh's quality, but I think well enough to pull some things off.

I think if we use the spot, it's a practice body grad transfer or someone really unexpected, but highly compelling. That said, I think and hope the spot gets rolled to the 2019 class.

Net net - I think we're in for a year similar to last year, but the experience gained pays dividends in year 4.

Deleted member 2897

We won't be as good a team without Josh, but I'm thrilled for him, even if it sets us back a bit. He came to GT to develop towards his professional aspirations and he's on the precipice of achieving that. Even as a high 2nd round pick, trends have seen those picks receive some decent guaranteed money in recent years.

With his departure, I think we're more likely to depend on those already in the fold to step up. First, it's going to be near impossible to find a suitable FR or grad transfer at this point to replace Josh's production. Second, we actually have quite a bit of perimeter depth.

I think Jose & Devoe start and also back each other up. Assuming that absorbs 60-70 of 120 perimeter minutes, we have the balance spread across CGB, Shembari, Alston, Moore, as well as possibly Moses & Sjolund. Minutes will be absorbed, not at Josh's quality, but I think well enough to pull some things off.

I think if we use the spot, it's a practice body grad transfer or someone really unexpected, but highly compelling. That said, I think and hope the spot gets rolled to the 2019 class.

Net net - I think we're in for a year similar to last year, but the experience gained pays dividends in year 4.

I agree with all of this except for the prediction. Tadric missed some games to suspension and was dinged a few games to injury. Josh and CGB missed a ton of games due to injury. Jose missed games due to injury. Lammers missed a few games but played injured a ton. I suspect our play quality will be similar to (January?) when we had the full team in place, which will result in 18-22 wins.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch

If I could frame a post to the basketball board it would be this one. Sums up everything perfectly.

Josh leaving helps with our recruiting pitch and track record but makes us take a small step back in #theprocess. The young players will get playing time and experience that will hopefully pay off when we are playing in meaningful games.

Curt Gone Bad and Khalid Moore/and or Sjoulnd....it's time to step up and ball out!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It will be fun to watch Oko's development. NBA fans are gonna be like, "Dayum, how'd (insert team name) find this diamond."

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with all of this except for the prediction. Tadric missed some games to suspension and was dinged a few games to injury. Josh and CGB missed a ton of games due to injury. Jose missed games due to injury. Lammers missed a few games but played injured a ton. I suspect our play quality will be similar to (January?) when we had the full team in place, which will result in 18-22 wins.

I don't want to set expectations too high, but I also can't deny being a sandbaggin' sonovabitch.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Can't we pull a duke & get a 2019 recruit to reclassify to 2018 1 week before school starts? Lol
Jon Rothstein told me that he was told that he has a text message for this:
Screenshot_20180521-135621.png

Just to make sure you know, Jon was told.....first. Book it.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Jon Rothstein told me that he was told that he has a text message for this:
View attachment 3565
Just to make sure you know, Jon was told.....first. Book it.
Hahahaha looks like someone else caught on

I should also say the text message is fake just so the NCAA doesn't come around....even though they are busing doing "tons of research" to clear Baker to play for Duke this year.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This is a huge blow. While we can spin it that it's good for recruiting, what is bad for recruiting is it being 8 seasons we haven't been in the NCAAT and this makes it more likely to continue. Now maybe Okogie can have a huge impact and we can use that down the line, but it'd have been much better for us if he had returned and we made the NCAAT. Anyways, hope the best for him.