So help me out here

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Yeah, I see what you mean on his tape.

It's a real unicorn of a position. You must have good footwork, make quick decisions unselfish decisions and take a beating. And throw somewhat accurately with undersized linemen protecting you. And take calculus. And be our hero.
Unicorn? Kristaps Porzingis? That's a big QB

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am really not worried about MJ. If you can beat VT by running basically QB follow and BB dive, the rest of the stuff will take care of itself as the off season progresses. He has already shown me he can throw the ball, even if not in that particular game. Give him the reps of the #1 in practice for a while and he will round into shape pretty quickly. If he gets beaten out, then I think we are looking at a pretty amazing season.

In terms of recruiting QB's who have experience under center in HS, I would have to say that it is only important if you absolutely need a guy to start in his first year. Beyond that, not so much. I had never shot a rifle in my entire life heading into the USMC. I learned how to do it right from the get go without any bad habits. After a few times at the range I was beating those who had been shooting their whole life. Johnson and staff can teach the kids what they need to do. We need to recruit to a certain skillset and high ceiling. Then just let the program take over.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
If a high school QB is playing under center in 2017, he is most likely a game manager who is handing it off in some sort of wishbone attack.

QBs with the kind of athletic skills we are looking for aren't playing QB at those schools. In today's high school football, if a team has the kind of kid we're looking for, they put him in the pistol or gun, and let him make plays.

Where exactly would you find these super athletic option QBs currently playing under center?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think in general guys that can truly run this offense are rare. I can only think of a handful, Tracy Hamm (sp) and Keenan Reynolds come to mind. More or less a once in a generation type guys. The offense is very demanding on the QB. You have to be instinctual to the point you can anticipate what needs to be done as opposed to reactive. I think a lot of guys come close but the ones that can really make it hum are needles in a haystack.

One might ask, if the QB is so hard to find, why run the offense? Well, even at 70% efficiency, it still is pretty damn effective.

Go Jackets!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Here's a really cool website I found while trying to research high school teams running under-center TO. (there's no such data base, unfortunately)

This guy coaches pee wee football and teaches under center TO. He says it's the easiest and most effective offense to teach small kids. How does that sit with all the bluster about how complicated our O is?

http://youthoptionfootball.com/

Here's a snipet:
Option Mythology

• Youth teams can’t run the option
  • Your quarterback will get killed if you run the option
  • The option takes too much time to teach
  • Option teams fumble too much
  • You have to have a (insert type of player) ______________ at (insert position of player) _____________ in order to run the option.
Option Reality

• You can start running the double option in 3rd grade, and the triple in 4th.
  • Running quarterbacks are no more likely to get hurt than tailbacks or any other back. In six team-seasons, encompassing 50+ games, we’ve had quarterbacks sit out about four plays total due to being banged up.
  • The triple option actually takes less time overall to teach, because it gives you three different outcomes teaching just ONE play. That’s a three to one teaching-time advantage over nearly any other play that you can teach.
  • Option teams don’t have to fumble much more than any other type of running team. In the last three years, our team that ran the option the most, fumbled the least.
  • We have every type of player that you can imagine, all at various positions. Certain qualities are useful of course – but the option play is an ‘equalizer,’ giving lesser players the chance to succeed against superior athletes.

A couple of things on this.
1. Yes many QBs in high school run out of the gun, however chances are if they played football from say the 3rd grade, they were under center until they got to high school. They don't forget how to take a snap.
2. CPJs offense is not as hard on the QB and lineman. The splits are huge so the QB is not impacted by pulling guards, on the few plays they pull. And that is the other thing, our lineman fire off the ball and don't step back.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
A couple of things on this.
1. Yes many QBs in high school run out of the gun, however chances are if they played football from say the 3rd grade, they were under center until they got to high school. They don't forget how to take a snap.
I'm sure. But now they are asked to go back under after several years, minimum, of being six yards deep, and big tackles and big LBs are yelling at you and menacing ... and you have to get it right. I don't know, but I just suspect the shotgun has hurt QBs and it's why I gather the NFL teams have an intensive training group. It can get touchy.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
If a high school QB is playing under center in 2017, he is most likely a game manager who is handing it off in some sort of wishbone attack.

QBs with the kind of athletic skills we are looking for aren't playing QB at those schools. In today's high school football, if a team has the kind of kid we're looking for, they put him in the pistol or gun, and let him make plays.

Where exactly would you find these super athletic option QBs currently playing under center?
Exactly. Even CPJ has said that it takes 1-2 years for a QB to be able to run his offense the right way.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
@first&ten

Nesbit did a pretty damn good job with just spring ball and fall practice to rep.
Yes, he did. But it was a stripped down version of the offense where the main feature if I recall right was the midline option, and he would wear teams out with it. See Clemson '08(?) here. Even after Thomas I am still not sure we have seen all of Johnson's offense. Or put another way, all of it with one QB.