So far, so good ??

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting IWII, with NIL we are going to have to bring the bags or continue to dwindle. The excuse is no longer “doing it the right way” rather we are doing it the cheap way. Staff hires have been really good. With average QB and OL play we can easily win 6 and shoot for 8 wins next season.
AVERAGE WIN?
while w live off tv money, donate in bottom 25% of acc, pay huge debt, demand players have way higher academics, only offer tech courses, fund NIL at low level ( portal out good and bring in average) and have low enthusiastic fan base.?

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I said it before, but it bears repeating:

I want other teams to circle the date of the Tech game on their calendars with a sense of dread because they know they're going to get their tails whipped. Win or lose, they'll know they've gone the full 15 rounds. Like Ali said after his fight with Frazier in Manila,

"It was like death. Closest thing to dyin' that I know."​
Strap it on, men. It's game time.

And I don't believe doing this is difficult. It just means playing sound, hard, high effort, fundamental football. That was always my biggest frustration with TfG. We made mistakes that a good middle school team shouldn't make.

If a team just protects the ball, covers kicks, makes kicks/punts they should, plays hard and disciplined on every play, you're going to be a decent team, even if you have mid-tier talent. Pitt under Pat Narduzzi has never had top talent, but they're a hard out every year.

If you have a roster of all 4 and 5 stars and you don't do those things, you'll be a bad team. Look at TAMU, Miami over the years... The other team doesn't have to beat you if you beat yourself.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I said it before, but it bears repeating:

I want other teams to circle the date of the Tech game on their calendars with a sense of dread because they know they're going to get their tails whipped. Win or lose, they'll know they've gone the full 15 rounds. Like Ali said after his fight with Frazier in Manila,

"It was like death. Closest thing to dyin' that I know."​
Strap it on, men. It's game time.
I saw a line the other day that NFL teams the week after playing the 49ers were 0-12-1. Physical football takes its toll. Similar to how teams fared after playing FSU in their 1990s hay day.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
It was inevitable this year. Unknown staff and too many losing seasons to establish solid relationships with some of the better players. This staff has already started recruiting 2 years out with offers. May turn out a lot better at it than our previous coach. We need to be at least sniffing at top 25 ranked classes.
My hope is that this class has a high percentage of solid contributors. They all look like solid athletes. And I expect that as the season went on and KWatt and Brent and the guys still on staff went through their expected needs with the assumption as if they would be remaining so they’d be prepared to keep things going as well as decide if everyone committed is still a priority or if they needed to move in different directions. Hearing Brent speak and seeing how the team fought on the field I suspect he is pretty realistic in his evaluations and saw that this class might not dazzle with ratings but needed to be filled with guys who could fill roles. So that’s my expectation. That if we are successful the next few seasons it will be that a decent number of guys from this class come in and become solid contributors.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
If you have a roster of all 4 and 5 stars and you don't do those things, you'll be a bad team.
We need to out-heart the prima donnas who are expecting to cake-walk their way to the league. Rocky Balboa v Apollo Creed. Talent vs. Heart.

1671912521697.png

(FYI: That's us on the left. 😝)

JacketFan137

Banned
And never beat the gaggers. That is kind of what I expect with a standard RPO offense.
kinda funny to complain that you want garrett riley and complain about the offense that faulkner runs that shares a lot of the same concepts as an air raid offense

i get you want to pout about anything that isn’t the option but you could try giving this staff a chance as well as using correct information when trying to be a detractor

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I think we escaped a disaster waiting to happen by not hiring Chadwell.
Absolutely. Coastal lost to both of the teams it played in 2021 regular season that had a winning record. This year, among its losses, was a loss to a bad ODU team. He also put Charleston Southern on probation a few years ago when he coached there. But Coastal scored points.

I learned something about this fan base via Chadwell. Coastal scored points but didn't play defense. At one point, a poll on this site indicated that about half of the fans wanted Chadwell as coach. I've never understood the popularity of Paul Johnson by so many fans. Now I get it. A big portion of our fans just want to score a lot of points. Winning is secondary to them.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I've never understood the popularity of Paul Johnson by so many fans. Now I get it. A big portion of our fans just want to score a lot of points. Winning is secondary to them
This is a ridiculously lazy take on Paul Johnson's tenure. I agree that his defense's were bad most of the time, and he should be judged on that...but to insinuate he wasn't successful is just silly.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
Absolutely. Coastal lost to both of the teams it played in 2021 regular season that had a winning record. This year, among its losses, was a loss to a bad ODU team. He also put Charleston Southern on probation a few years ago when he coached there. But Coastal scored points.

I learned something about this fan base via Chadwell. Coastal scored points but didn't play defense. At one point, a poll on this site indicated that about half of the fans wanted Chadwell as coach. I've never understood the popularity of Paul Johnson by so many fans. Now I get it. A big portion of our fans just want to score a lot of points. Winning is secondary to them.
This is a pretty superficial take on Chadwell. The probation at Charleston Southern was an athletic department wide thing, and was mostly on other programs, not the football team.

Coastal this year had a number of injuries, and at a G5 you aren't going to have the depth to weather serious injuries. Still he won 9 games and got to the conference title game, where they got beat bad by a good Troy team (Troy's coach is going to be in the SEC in the next 3 years, someone I hope we at least did due diligence on this cycle). They may have scored points, but they also won.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

You're entitled to your opinions on coaches, but don't make up facts to support your narrative.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
He also put Charleston Southern on probation a few years ago when he coached there. But Coastal scored points.
Are you just ignorant or being intentionally misleading? Because this has been discussed on here multiple times and the facts are readily available on the internet. Charleston Southern was penalized across multiple sports because the school improperly certified 55 student athletes across 12 sports. It was an academic compliance issue that has nothing to do with who the head football coach was. The same thing has happened at Tech.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
kinda funny to complain that you want garrett riley and complain about the offense that faulkner runs that shares a lot of the same concepts as an air raid offense

i get you want to pout about anything that isn’t the option but you could try giving this staff a chance as well as using correct information when trying to be a detractor

My only quibble here is running concepts of an offense does not equate to running the same offense.

TCU runs read option concepts as well as Air Raid concepts. The offensive philosophy for Garrett Riley is similar to his brother Lincoln Riley. Run the ball to open up the pass. It's different from Mike Leach. The offenses have similar strands of DNA, but they are different creatures. TCU was one of only 3 offenses to rank in top 25 in total passing and total rushing. The Rileys seek balance their offense. You're kinda getting close to the holy grail of option and Air Raid.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
This is a pretty superficial take on Chadwell. The probation at Charleston Southern was an athletic department wide thing, and was mostly on other programs, not the football team.

Coastal this year had a number of injuries, and at a G5 you aren't going to have the depth to weather serious injuries. Still he won 9 games and got to the conference title game, where they got beat bad by a good Troy team (Troy's coach is going to be in the SEC in the next 3 years, someone I hope we at least did due diligence on this cycle). They may have scored points, but they also won.
I wouldn’t have minded if Chadwell wanted to bring his offensive staff with him. The defense wasn’t as terrible as I thought when I went back and checked but if people had a problem with Collins’s staff not having enough P5 experience then they would have been aghast at how little there is on Chadwell’s. I think it was one guy who had been a GA at a couple of SEC programs. If there was more it wasn't much more. That concerned me. Just looking at his staff it made me feel like none of them would have any clue what they were getting themselves into at GT specifically. So that’s why I was not completely enthusiastic about Chadwell even though I wouldn’t have been upset had he been our HC.

Coming back to the original post, though, I feel good about the coaches we’ve kept and am hopeful about the ones we’ve hired that they really dug down into the roles we needed to fill in recruiting and went out to fill those rather than focusing on the one or two really big fish as I think that wouldn’t have produced positive results.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer

We get it from 125 of your previous posts. You didn’t/don’t like CPJ. You can give it a rest now.