So far, so good ??

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
For me, I think "we" have made some incredible changes in a short period of time ! From President Cabrera leading the way, hiring a competent AD, who seemingly hired the best HC we could afford. Then Key has retained much of the defensive staff, leading me to think he will let Thacker and his staff run that part (no micromanaging). Lastly, he methodically hired a good young, forward thinking, offensive staff. Recruiting was also well done this year ! Maybe I am just caught up in the holiday season, but I am VERY EXCITED about 2023 !!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Looks great. One question I have is, who will coach special teams? Norval Mackenzie, our new running backs coach, had great success at Arkansas State with STs:

From the article:
"As the special teams coordinator, McKenzie’s units were some of the best in program history. The Red Wolves set an NCAA record for punt return defense by holding opponents to minus-15 yards for the season, and closed the year ranked sixth nationally in kick return defense." (I believe this was in 2018, his last year at Arky St.)

But Semore is still listed as ST coordinator. J.B. Hall (ST analyst) has had extensive experience coaching with Semore (3 years at Montana), so that's a plus but I was hoping Mackenzie would take over STs.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Love the new strength speed staff = several w ol background. Plus we went and brought back E Joe ( ol 2014 run to Orange bowl) to help at recruting. We have not dominated any teams in the last 4 years .

Our path to success depends on a full complement of quality 3 plus year OL.

The devil is in the execution, but Caberra to Key has started very well.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree. While there may have been other head coach candidates who could be considered “better” in a vacuum, I think Batt made sure he could get the person most likely to succeed at Tech in its current state. I imagine the points of contention regarding Fritz and Chadwell were around staff and resource allocation. It sounds like Chadwell was unwilling to consider replacing his underperforming defensive staff, so Batt inferred that Chadwell prioritizes his buddies over what’s best for Tech. And Fritz, it seems, wanted a lot of guaranteed money which would have been quite a risk to Tech financially and would have gotten in the way of spending money on better assistants and other improvements. Key has shown that he can win conference games at Tech with our current roster and was willing to take a more incentive-laden contract with more resources devoted to hiring good assistants. While we can’t say for sure how things will play out, Brent Key is clearly making decisions that prioritize maximizing his chances of success at Tech. He’s willing to retain members from the previous staff who performed well, and he’s targeted new assistants who have strong track records of success, several of whom have worked together.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
By "hiring the best HC we could afford" I am not suggesting that Key was not the right guy. In hindsight I was for BOB. But I think we would have had to overspend on him. as well as Freese, Harsin, etc. What I meant was HCBK was the perfect hire for many reasons, including financially. I am behind him 110%..........is that even possible ?:unsure:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I've been a Key fan since he was a player. I think it is now clear that one reason that the OL didn't perform as expected was TFG; they improved considerably in the 8 games Key was IHC. I'm pleased, overall, with his staff picks, though I wonder about the O for next year. The O guys he picked are pretty vanilla; I'm not sure that's what Tech needs. I believe Key wants us to look like UCF did when he was there. If that happens I'm all for it.

I was for Chadwell and I wouldn't have bucked a bit on him bringing his whole staff, especially since McCall would have probably followed him. But I'm behind Key. He's shown he can win with the troops we have and the team is with him. Now we'll just have to see about next year.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
By "hiring the best HC we could afford" I am not suggesting that Key was not the right guy. In hindsight I was for BOB. But I think we would have had to overspend on him. as well as Freese, Harsin, etc. What I meant was HCBK was the perfect hire for many reasons, including financially. I am behind him 110%..........is that even possible ?:unsure:

As I've said in other threads, I think there were 3 (major) requirements to the new coach:

- Proven experience winning.

- Can recruit to GT.

- We can afford him.

A candidate like Deion Sanders had shown he could recruit, but there were doubts that he could get his guys into GT, or continue winning at the P5 level - and on affordability.

Fritz seemed like a good candidate, with proven experience winning - although the last couple of stops have looked decent, but not an obvious homerun. "Can he win at GT?" was the question, and guaranteed $ was also the big issue.

Chadwell seemed to have all of the above, although recruiting was always a question mark (as was him bringing his entire staff. I appreciate the comment of another poster on his unwillingness to leave behind his defensive staff showing that he was more loyal to his staff than to making the hard decisions to benefit GT).

Of all of the 4, Key seemed to be the one that met all of the requirements. He has shown he can win at GT (although we lost some head-scratchers, we also won some we shouldn't have. So overall a big plus compared to TFG). He was known to be an incredible recruiter while at 'Bama and on staff here. And he agreed to a lower contract (with incentives) as a 1st-time head coach.

I'm of course hopeful he wins big - not just so that we get back on the right track, but so we can comfortably extend (& increase) his contract due to new revenue coming in.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
As I've said in other threads, I think there were 3 (major) requirements to the new coach:

- Proven experience winning.

- Can recruit to GT.

- We can afford him.

A candidate like Deion Sanders had shown he could recruit, but there were doubts that he could get his guys into GT, or continue winning at the P5 level - and on affordability.

Fritz seemed like a good candidate, with proven experience winning - although the last couple of stops have looked decent, but not an obvious homerun. "Can he win at GT?" was the question, and guaranteed $ was also the big issue.

Chadwell seemed to have all of the above, although recruiting was always a question mark (as was him bringing his entire staff. I appreciate the comment of another poster on his unwillingness to leave behind his defensive staff showing that he was more loyal to his staff than to making the hard decisions).

Of all of the 4, Key seemed to be the one that met all of the requirements. He has shown he can win at GT (although we lost some head-scratchers, we also won some we shouldn't have. So overall a big plus compared to TFG). He was known to be an incredible recruiter while at 'Bama and on staff here. And he agreed to a lower contract (with incentives) as a 1st-time head coach.

I'm of course hopeful he wins big - not just so that we get back on the right track, but so we can comfortably extend (& increase) his contract due to new revenue coming in.
I’m behind HCBK because he is my team’s coach, but I think this losing headscratchers and winning some where we are not favored will continue. I know a lot of people on this board want to get back to Gailey-like performance. I think that is Key‘s ceiling. I hope I’m wrong, but even if I’m right, it’s got to be better than what we just experienced.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Unless Nate comes back, we work out the QB situation and the new LBs really jive--next yr will be a tough test with less talent and no surprise factor to help us.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Noticed Key (Alabama born}, hit Alabama pretty hard for a lot of recruits. We probably got more Alabama boys than Auburn did this cycle. I would think you Alabama guys would be singing Key's praises.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I’m behind HCBK because he is my team’s coach, but I think this losing headscratchers and winning some where we are not favored will continue. I know a lot of people on this board want to get back to Gailey-like performance. I think that is Key‘s ceiling. I hope I’m wrong, but even if I’m right, it’s got to be better than what we just experienced.

So ACCCG, NY6 bowl game and record setting recruiting is his ceiling?

I’ll take it

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Biggest change?
New strength and conditioning staff.
That was overdue.
Not overly wild about anything else at this point. Recruiting was ... ok. Could have been worse. But wasn't that great, either - and a coaching upheaval can't be an excuse. We pretty much cashed out the head bozo and the OC and kept most of the rest of the staff responsible for recruiting.
In Key's favor is we finally beat teams who finished the year above .500. But we also looked bad against FSU and Virginia and for long stretches against a godawful Va Tech team.
I don't think we'll have a run of 3-win seasons going forward. But I don't see us being a contender anytime soon, either.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Biggest change?
That was overdue.
Not overly wild about anything else at this point. Recruiting was ... ok. Could have been worse. But wasn't that great, either - and a coaching upheaval can't be an excuse. We pretty much cashed out the head bozo and the OC and kept most of the rest of the staff responsible for recruiting.
In Key's favor is we finally beat teams who finished the year above .500. But we also looked bad against FSU and Virginia and for long stretches against a godawful Va Tech team.
I don't think we'll have a run of 3-win seasons going forward. But I don't see us being a contender anytime soon, either.
On the S&C, I felt many of our players were told/allowed to focus on strengthening at the expense of mobility and flexibility. Just my ignorant (25 + years as a Physical Therapist) 2 cents:dummy:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Biggest change?
That was overdue.
I would have said the same thing before 2014. You never know when the lightening will strike.

Like you, I think we have too many issues on O to be a big winner next year. I'd say our ceiling there is about 5 - 7 games. The schedule is more addressable. We'll just have to see. As to recruiting, it's about where it was with Paul. We'll have to see whether we end up with the same kind of performance from Key's recruits that he was able to get. If Key was recruiting for a system, then so much the better.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Try to keep in mind the context of the head-scratchers (UVA and UM) the sh!tshow he got handed and the QB situation

I believe Key can achieve Gailey-esque level (.500 football) immediately and am quite optimistic that given some time will kick our talent-level up and team toughness up to an ACC ***-kicking level.