Snoddy/GT at the Penn Relays

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
No doubt he is a good track guy. Do they give full scholarships in that sport? There-in may lie the problem. We know the kid is a good student. It is hard to turn down a full ride.

I doubt it and you may indeed have revealed a big reason for not going full track.

I was referring to going pro in track which I believe can be lucrative considering he literally has world-class speed. I imagine that's a big step though because he'd have to become a world traveler to make some real coin.

LibertyTurns

Banned
He's far from world class speed. Usain Bolt holds the record at around 9.58

Not saying he's not fast but 10.63 in the 100m is not going to have Nike standing on your doorstep begging you to wear their shoes.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He's far from world class speed. Usain Bolt holds the record at around 9.58

Not saying he's not fast but 10.63 in the 100m is not going to have Nike standing on your doorstep begging you to wear their shoes.
Exactly. He will not be earning a living in track. 10.5 in the 100m will not even have you in the picture at the finish line of a world class race. He is a fast kid but he is no Carl Lewis.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This may inflame but I think most if not all of the world class speed guys are juicing, just my opinion. Pretty convinced old Carl was juicing back in the day but got away with it most of the time. If you are not a world record holder track and field really won't pay the bills. I'd rather see Snoddy compete in football where the so called physical enhancement playing field is likely more level than it is in professional track.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Track is about progression. 10.5 in April is pretty good but you want to make sure that you are 10.2-10 flat by early June

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Record holder in the 100m at Tech is Jeff Larkin in 1982 at 10.0 sec. Sorta puts Broderick time in perspective doesn't it? I don't know what Broderick's PR is but the record at Tech has been standing for better than 30 years.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
This may inflame but I think most if not all of the world class speed guys are juicing, just my opinion. Pretty convinced old Carl was juicing back in the day but got away with it most of the time. If you are not a world record holder track and field really won't pay the bills. I'd rather see Snoddy compete in football where the so called physical enhancement playing field is likely more level than it is in professional track.

Only problem with football is it's a contact sport. I read somewhere about BS not liking contact. Hopefully moving back to AB he'll be able to see the field more and get some confidence. It's been 3 + years of him playing any meaningful snaps in a football game.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Y'all are making it sound like he's slow or something. No he hasn't shown he's Usain Bolt at this point but, considering he's not training at a world class level, his speed now is probably enough to go consistently in the top 12-15.

I did a little research and it appears his best bet would indeed be to pursue football. If he trains and becomes elite he could certainly make a great living, but it appears to be a bit of a long shot.

This one says consistent top 10 puts you in the range of 6 figures possibly: http://trackandfieldathletesassocia...ey-do-track-and-field-athletes-actually-make/

This one surveyed athletes and found that non-elite/name athletes can struggle: http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-r...rs-economic-struggles-and-disparities-persist

Also, as @Whiskey_Clear mentioned, track is a dirty game. I'd be hesitant though to say football is 'clean' even relatively speaking.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Snoddy will do fine. Just get his degree and then a job. He can train and if things work out emphasize the sports while working. I know several Olympic athletes who took that route, larger companies like "sponsoring" elite athletes.