Snake bit....

LibertyTurns

Banned
With this loss the current squad ties the 1929 squad for biggest decrease in wins from the previous season (7).
1929 team went 3-6 after the 1928 squad went 10-0. Scary fact - it was 8 yrs before GT had a winning record again.
1988 we were 3-8 I think. 7-4 in 1989. Think we all know what happened in 1990. Not all 3 win seasons are a program's death knell.

Now if we have 5000 injuries the next 2 years, my money's on we're not going have good seasons.

For the record I think we end up with 4 wins this year.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
What I can't understand is the regression in all phases of the game. Its like these guys forgot what they practice, obviously something is not sticking with the coaching right now or the team is physically and mentally drained from this season. Injuries aside, we need to seriously look at some staffing changes and if CPJ can't right this ship with a healthy team next year he needs to go. I've been a fan of his since the GA Southern days, but the basic level regression is showing that something he or the staff is doing in practice isn't working

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... down a lot lower in various area in the Jimmies and Joes chart than we should be, but those tare the cards we have to play with...

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I was amazed at how poorly the field drained. Sun Life is a pro stadium. One would think if Clemson can install a first-class drainage system, that the Dolphins could. Not sure what to think there.
Seriously?! Drainage?

We got man handled by a team that was more physical and dominated the 1 on 1 match ups.

This team has given up. It's hard to watch. I hope we can get up for UGA but god damn it's hard to watch.

Fumbling on the 4, putting **** up for grabs, and out of their control--- JT getting hurt. I can't wait for this season to be over and its rediculously obvious that this team can't wait either. They've checked out.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Seriously?! Drainage?

We got man handled by a team that was more physical and dominated the 1 on 1 match ups.

This team has given up. It's hard to watch. I hope we can get up for UGA but god damn it's hard to watch.

Fumbling on the 4, putting **** up for grabs, and out of their control--- JT getting hurt. I can't wait for this season to be over and its rediculously obvious that this team can't wait either. They've checked out.
Not obvious to me and many others that they've checked out. I don't see that they've given up either. Maybe Flea or DaddyBill can lend some insight here.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Seriously?! Drainage?

This team has given up.

I wonder if Our Team would agree with your statements? Based on what I've read from people connected with the players they have NOT "given up" or "checked out".

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I wonder if Our Team would agree with your statements? Based on what I've read from people connected with the players they have NOT "given up" or "checked out".

with 3 wins, we have really reached the point where we all are splitting hairs here.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Seriously?! Drainage?

I was not blaming field conditions for the game's outcome, only surprised at how sodden it stayed right after the rain.

As others have mentioned -- I think the kids are mentally, emotionally and physically exhausted. No one is quitting but for the younger ones at least, there's only so long you can do your damnedest at tasks you're not ready for before you slap wear out.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
This
Seriously?! Drainage?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Do I think they've given up entirely? No...and I think they will fight to the death next week to pull that one out.

However, I really think that there were times yesterday where effort was lacking on defense. Maybe they're just tired from being on the field so much, but there were a handful of drives that looked pretty bad.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not obvious to me and many others that they've checked out. I don't see that they've given up either. Maybe Flea or DaddyBill can lend some insight here.
It seems to me, purely as a TV observer and reader of things GT who knows nobody on the team, sees maybe 3-4 games a year, didn't attend but have an almost lifelong affection for the football program, that when critics have nothing to offer, nothing of substance, but just want to whine, their first line of attack becomes: "They've quit. Given up. Checked out." Yet offer not a shred of fact-based commentary to support their clamor. It is almost like losing is a personal affront, and their word is good enough. The team I saw on TV yesterday, with the sound muted because I value my own opinions more than that of a talking head, never quit. We got beat. Lots of reasons but going belly up is not one of them. Insulting and demeaning -- which I suspect it is intended to be, being the last refuge and all, but a week before the Georgia game? If one wants to be taken seriously one must be serious.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know how to evaluate "quitting". I do know that when my endorphins are flowing, I run faster and further. But that seems to be human nature. To me, "quitting" is not wanting to do well or giving up. Only by knowing what someone is thinking can you know whether they are "quitting". I just don't know. This type of falloff in performance is just typical for GT (and probably most teams without an a massive talent advantage after a great year):
image.png

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I was intoxicated and angry last night, so I would like to change my stance of their quitting, because I don't know their mental state, to that of playing unintelligent football. We aren't good enough to make mistakes and we're making plenty.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Seriously?! Drainage?

Ok, we played sloppily. About what you'd expect with a brand new QB going up against a quality opponent for the first time. But …

Sloppy play and all, we rushed for 314 yards yesterday. We didn't lose the game because we couldn't run; we lost it because we turned the ball over 4 times and two of those turnovers accounted for a 14 point difference in the score. I didn't see anyone giving up yesterday. I saw a team that it way too young and having a difficult time with execution as a result. We'll see if you're right next Saturday. If you watched Ugag against GSU, then you know they are a team that can be had.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I was intoxicated and angry last night, so I would like to change my stance of their quitting, because I don't know their mental state, to that of playing unintelligent football. We aren't good enough to make mistakes and we're making plenty.

Ok, so this is a fair assessment. I'll admit that I was in a similar state, and I usually try to stay away from the board until I've slept. I obviously don't know their mental state either, so maybe they just screwed up a lot more than usual yesterday.

Sad thing is that we seem to be getting worse rather than better...

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually I thought we played pretty darned well today.

For a JV/scout team -- which is pretty much what we are at this point. Some very nice plays, not giving up, lots of mistakes, and not giving up.

I was amazed at how poorly the field drained. Sun Life is a pro stadium. One would think if Clemson can install a first-class drainage system, that the Dolphins could. Not sure what to think there.

My cynical side tells me that the Miami pro team plays to pay high salaries and make a profit while the Clemson Tigers play to pay high salaries, generate revenue, and to heck with profit...universities don't need no stinking profit.