Smelter

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Meh. He's going pro. No sense in him trying to stay another year. He will be just another special GT receiver in the NFL. No big deal. :cool:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Meh. He's going pro. No sense in him trying to stay another year. He will be just another special GT receiver in the NFL. No big deal. :cool:

I just wish we could actually recruit one of those "special" receivers to this offense. Yes, I know Stephen Hill came, but I am not sure I would put him in the "special" category, although he was the most talented receiver that chose to come to this offense thus far. Hopefully, that is about to change. Remember, Smelter did not choose to come play in our offense; he chose that option when baseball did not work out.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
I just wish we could actually recruit one of those "special" receivers to this offense. Yes, I know Stephen Hill came, but I am not sure I would put him in the "special" category, although he was the most talented receiver that chose to come to this offense thus far. Hopefully, that is about to change. Remember, Smelter did not choose to come play in our offense; he chose that option when baseball did not work out.
After a season like this? Who knows?

thwgjacket

Well you're about to get some Ricky Jeune, Antonio Messick, Harland Howell, and Christian Philpott all up in your grill. All 4 are big, rangy, and fast WR's.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well you're about to get some Ricky Jeune, Antonio Messick, Harland Howell, and Christian Philpott all up in your grill. All 4 are big, rangy, and fast WR's.

Well, hoping for a pleasant surprise that one of these guys will "break out". I think they all can be good, but the previous poster was talking about All-NFL good when he said "special", or at least, that is how I took it.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not sure of what the value of a Smelter RS would be to us anyway in 2015. It is now December he has yet to have an operation. He won't be ready for a year after that. By then our season will be winding down. Those people who say 7-9 months are crazy optimistic if you ask me. This is a WR we are talking about here. You absolutely have to have all your speed, jumping, and cutting ability to compete. His college career is over and I feel sick for him. I want him to finish our season to help us win the ACC and the Natty, but it ain't gonna happen. I want to see him go unencumbered to the NFL combine and shine, but that ain't gonna happen either. Sad. Long term he will be fine, but his setback sickens me, especially considering the way he has bailed out this program with his unexpected participation from out of nowhere.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
So I was watching the Oregon game last night and thinking about Jonathan Lloyd (who played 4 years of basketball and now one of football) and I started looking up NCAA eligibility rules (which are pretty hard to find) and it appears that athletes can have 4 years per sport within a 5 year span. If this were true, then Smelter could play 2 years of baseball and then 3 of football, meaning he would be able to play again next year.

Can someone clarify whether that is in fact the rule?

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
So I was watching the Oregon game last night and thinking about Jonathan Lloyd (who played 4 years of basketball and now one of football) and I started looking up NCAA eligibility rules (which are pretty hard to find) and it appears that athletes can have 4 years per sport within a 5 year span. If this were true, then Smelter could play 2 years of baseball and then 3 of football, meaning he would be able to play again next year.

Can someone clarify whether that is in fact the rule?

Bump?