Smelter

thwuga

Georgia Tech Fan
Sorry if I missed this if already discussed. But has there been any talk of Smelter getting an additional year of eligibility?

He's only played 2 years of football. In 2012, according to his RW.com bio, he played baseball "sparingly" due to his shoulder injury.

Seems to me that he would be a good candidate for a 5th year of ineligibility, unless I'm missing something.

Also, this year's draft class is pretty loaded IMO... and last year's draft/this year's NFL rookie WR class was incredible. So while we can all agree he'd be drafted this year regardless of the ACL, it may pay for him to wait a year if possible...

Any thoughts from those who know more about these types of situations?

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Interesting...wonder how that works. Would he need to get 2012 yr declared medical redshirt? He would need to have played under that magical max number of games.

OR, since he only played football two years, we should get to keep him two more :) :) :)

Matt E

GT Athlete
Not possible. You have 5 years to play 4 regardless of sport. His first 2 years of baseball plus 2 of football equals no eligibility left.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Not possible. You have 5 years to play 4 regardless of sport. His first 2 years of baseball plus 2 of football equals no eligibility left.

True, but @thwuga is saying that he could be granted a medical redshirt in baseball since he played sparingly with a shoulder injury. I'm pretty certain it's too late for that to happen though.

thwuga

Georgia Tech Fan

Were there 2 years of baseball or 1 plus a few games? From my [brief] googling, I see he graduated HS from Tattnall in 2010, played baseball in 2011 as true freshman, injured in 2012 (played 4 games), played baseball and football in 2013 and same in 2014.

So he's played 3 years plus 4 games of baseball in 4 years. Am I missing something? Seems like a prime candidate for a 5th year of eligibility.

Matt E

GT Athlete
Golden was granted a medical redshirt after getting hurt in the 3rd game last season. There is a cutoff which I think is around 33% of games played in the season. If you play more than that you cannot be eligible for a medical redshirt.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Intresting thought. If he played in little to no games that year then theoretically he could Aplly for a medical redshirt. Not sure what he'll do tho,

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Were there 2 years of baseball or 1 plus a few games? From my [brief] googling, I see he graduated HS from Tattnall in 2010, played baseball in 2011 as true freshman, injured in 2012 (played 4 games), played baseball and football in 2013 and same in 2014.

So he's played 3 years plus 4 games of baseball in 4 years. Am I missing something? Seems like a prime candidate for a 5th year of eligibility.

I have no clue how a medical redshirt would work for baseball and I would assume that you need to apply for it before the next seasons begins. It also says he was used as a pinch runner late in the season so sounds like he played in more than 4 games

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
He's done.

Needs
"The injury or illness occurs prior to the first competition of the second half of
the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport
(see Bylaw 14.2.4.3.4) and results in incapacity to compete for the remainder of
that playing season; "

and

"In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not
participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is
applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the
institution's scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her
sport."

There were 56 scheduled games in 2012, he missed more than 70%. Unfortunately, he came back after the injury, which means he's not eligible.

Man, those extra games as a PR really hurt.