Film Room Slow Motion Video Break Down GT versus Vandy Series 1

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Lol.....I want to see MM play more but would hate to take reps away from Mills or our Abacks
I agree and what makes it even harder is I see Mills keep getting better and better as he gets reps. There's gonna be games where a guy just ain't got his mojo and the other guy does. And there's gonna be times where a guy is banged up and we have the other guy ready to go. It's a win/win, but it's hard for the #2 right now.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I've noticed this in every game so far and wondering if y'all agree: CPJ calls the counter option too early. Against all 3 teams it seems like we've run counters in the first series.

As I've watched the video breakdowns, running counter this early just gives the slow-to-react defense time to go the right direction. Nobody on defense is used to our speed and execution. I feel like the counters would be more effective if he waited to call them until the defense was actually flowing with A back motion before the snap.

*disclaimer, I don't presume to know anything and CPJ is probably seeing stuff that I don't, it's just my armchair impression. Ha, please assume this for everything I post*

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Also, someone asked about a shovel pass somewhere (maybe a different site) and it sure seems like that first play of the second drive Searcy could trail JT inside and take a shovel pass through that HUGE hole that Longestdays made note of.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I've noticed this in every game so far and wondering if y'all agree: CPJ calls the counter option too early. Against all 3 teams it seems like we've run counters in the first series.

As I've watched the video breakdowns, running counter this early just gives the slow-to-react defense time to go the right direction. Nobody on defense is used to our speed and execution. I feel like the counters would be more effective if he waited to call them until the defense was actually flowing with A back motion before the snap.

*disclaimer, I don't presume to know anything and CPJ is probably seeing stuff that I don't, it's just my armchair impression. Ha, please assume this for everything I post*

Its a chess match. Run something early make them stay honest.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer

Yes, CPJ is definitely calling counter options frequently and early. I've noticed too.

The question is why?

/

Faulkner475

Georgia Tech Fan
My assumption on early play calls (aside from plays like the B Back wheel which are intended to be chunk plays) is that Johnson is trying to determine the defense's keys. That's why you'll see a rocket toss, true triple, and a counter in the first series, if circumstances allow. If he can figure out their keys, he knows what to call to exploit that.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'd like a better rotation at bback as well. Like what the Falcons are doing with Freeman & Coleman.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
at 4:30 you had the wrong 2 people we were reading on the option. We weren't reading he ILB. We were reading the DE and the OLB. The DE took the B back and the OLB who was the pitch read slide to far inside so Thomas kept the ball.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Mills scored on two plays that I'm not sure Marshall does. On the flip side, Marshall scored on a play where Mills might not. Also Mills needed the extra reps Saturday. Thursday night will most likely give us a better idea how CPJ intends to use Marshall in a 60 minute game. I can't wait to see how we play against Clemson.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I don't quite understand why we sometimes let guys run "free" near LOS with our OLs or backs going downfield to block the "next" man.That "free" man many times screws up the play.I know we want an option man but we can't just let them go.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't quite understand why we sometimes let guys run "free" near LOS with our OLs or backs going downfield to block the "next" man.That "free" man many times screws up the play.I know we want an option man but we can't just let them go.

It depends on the play call, but if the guy is the option key, then yes, we do want to just let them go. Unfortunately, sometimes we also let guys through when that's not the play call.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
They go to the next level because the play is supposed to be going there. They are supposed to block downfield like its going to the house. Its hard to understand because most of the time it does not. They get chewed when they turn back inside and block. Thats the natural desire, but the coaches want them always going to the next level.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
They go to the next level because the play is supposed to be going there. They are supposed to block downfield like its going to the house. Its hard to understand because most of the time it does not. They get chewed when they turn back inside and block. Thats the natural desire, but the coaches want them always going to the next level.

Give me your thoughts on this-- why can't we just have rule--block the guy inside of you ,if no one is head-up pull.so-- in Guard/Tackle line-up-- if the ball is going outside , the Tackle blocks down and the Guard pulls to cut the LB or DE (whoever is not being optioned)
Also, on a dive off LG,I saw Freddie leave a DT shading his just outside(rt) shoulder,well he left him to block downfield and depended on the RG to "reach ", no way--the DT blew-up play coming in behind Freddie, if that the blocking planned?

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Give me your thoughts on this-- why can't we just have rule--block the guy inside of you ,if no one is head-up pull.so-- in Guard/Tackle line-up-- if the ball is going outside , the Tackle blocks down and the Guard pulls to cut the LB or DE (whoever is not being optioned)
Also, on a dive off LG,I saw Freddie leave a DT shading his just outside(rt) shoulder,well he left him to block downfield and depended on the RG to "reach ", no way--the DT blew-up play coming in behind Freddie, if that the blocking planned?
I watch replays and don't have a clue. They have different reads for every alignment, they change as the ball is snapped, depending on the defense. I gave up a long time ago.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I watch replays and don't have a clue. They have different reads for every alignment, they change as the ball is snapped, depending on the defense. I gave up a long time ago.
Me too. Just as I think I've got it; I don't. I have a lot of respect for those lines that act in concert.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Me too. Just as I think I've got it; I don't. I have a lot of respect for those lines that act in concert.
Agreed! The O we run puts even more on them, and that was part of our challenge last year. When it works it's real tough to defend, but it is hard as heck to execute like Tech

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
On the OL brushing past first level to block 2nd level, I suppose there is some kind of count they also utilize but their eyes and momentum are supposed to be entirely downfield and they have to trust that the QB/BB and ABs in the backfield are flowing right behind them. The defensive players that flow through or are brushed past are supposed to be helplessly trailing the skill players by that point. This relates in part to what is mentioned above about Mills slowing down the mesh for Thomas right now. CPJ said after the game that Mills frequently does not lead into the defender with the correct shoulder and so allows the defender to pin the ball back against Mills. This forces Thomas to have to release it to Mills when the correct read is to pull because he is smart enough to take the 1 yard or no gain over risking a fumble.

There are likely many such small fractional aspects to what is going on behind the linemen which can lead to the impression that the OL have let guys run free to get to the second level when they haven't really done that.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
On the OL brushing past first level to block 2nd level, I suppose there is some kind of count they also utilize but their eyes and momentum are supposed to be entirely downfield and they have to trust that the QB/BB and ABs in the backfield are flowing right behind them. The defensive players that flow through or are brushed past are supposed to be helplessly trailing the skill players by that point. This relates in part to what is mentioned above about Mills slowing down the mesh for Thomas right now. CPJ said after the game that Mills frequently does not lead into the defender with the correct shoulder and so allows the defender to pin the ball back against Mills. This forces Thomas to have to release it to Mills when the correct read is to pull because he is smart enough to take the 1 yard or no gain over risking a fumble.

There are likely many such small fractional aspects to what is going on behind the linemen which can lead to the impression that the OL have let guys run free to get to the second level when they haven't really done that.

This. So much this. There is so much about our blocking that average fans don't even care to understand. Every time I hear somebody rip on the OL for a "missed block" that results in a TFL, I want to immediately check the tape to see if it was actually a missed READ by QB or BB, that if read correctly, would have led to a big gain. Our OL is definitely asked to think on their feet and execute a complex scheme. When we are good at it, we are REALLY good offensively.