Film Room Slow Motion Video Break Down GT versus Vandy Series 1

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Thanks to Lomgestday. I just love this analysis and watch it every week. It is SO instructive and helpful.

Interesting breakdown as always. I really appreciated seeing the "chop block" calls..one looked bogus and the 2nd looked proper. Live at the game I had no idea....

Overall, the only thing that concerned me was the guard play. For his size, Devine is still playing way too high and not getting enough drive on his blocks. Tackle play is much better, imho.

Still, great improvement when compared to 2015. We are at least hitting the right guys 90% of the time now. Should be able to focus more on executing better blocks.

Of course, we haven't seen a defense yet with Clemson's speed.....it will be interesting.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
On Mills 15 yd TD, the O-line destroyed the Vandy front four. Very impressive. Even though the ABs did not get great blocks down field, the lack of any impediment allowed Mills to get a lot of momentum toward the goal. The weak arm tackle attempts were worthless. And, Davis's block on the LB was a thing of beauty.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Really good as always. I love your positive demeanor and use of questions to engage and focus attention.

Fwiw, I think the first play in the third series was a belly, a straight give to BBack off tackle. The next play looked like a belly option, a qb aback double option, where bback fakes mesh and blocks lb.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
@16:00 I believe there is a blocking change being made. iirc, an "in" call is being made btw the guard and tackle since the DE and play side LB are to the inside shoulder of them

lastoption

Georgia Tech Fan
On the first TO is the outside LB the pitch read? It looked like play side guard tackle were releasing and one took him leaving DT as dive read and DE as pitch read. DE overcommitted thereby leaving both JT and a back free. A back does a nice job turning into an extra blocker on that one once he sees that he and JT are both uncovered.

rosebud78

Georgia Tech Fan
Longest day, great video as usual. I'm pretty sure I was sitting near you on Saturday, but didn't know why I would even know what you look like? I was along divider by club seats.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thanks, LD, love these!!!

Ok, first play of drive 4 we try the same play that scored on the first play of the game. This time the Bback is covered. However, we have an Aback running a seam route uncovered on the backside of this play. Unfortunately, this play is not designed well enough to give the qb time enough to check down. If we can somehow create a pocket on this play, JT will have another pass option that's wide open most of the time.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
To my eye, the blocking looks good and we're starting to run the offense with some precision.

OL looks like they are getting a push. More than a few times the line of scrimmage ends up being a few yards into the defensive backfield. This happened frequently in 2014, and never (rarely) last year.

I also see some good blocks on the edge and downfield.

Biggest issue I see is the mesh and the B back first steps. More reps will help.

We need to keep getting better, but this is as good as we've looked as a football team in a while.

/

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ addressed this in his post game. He mentioned that it was on Mills for holding the ball too long and said he hadn't seen a lot of the cross-charges, etc. that defenses typically throw at us, so he should've read it and released it in more quickly in those situations. Said it would get better with more game experience.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CPJ addressed this in his post game. He mentioned that it was on Mills for holding the ball too long and said he hadn't seen a lot of the cross-charges, etc. that defenses typically throw at us, so he should've read it and released it in more quickly in those situations. Said it would get better with more game experience.
Hope he gets better at not chop blocking, too. Actually, I couldn't be more thrilled with Mills, but he still has quite a bit to learn. Can't wait to see him top out his potential.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'd really like to see M Marshall on the field more. Several I'd say the same about if he were to start taking plays away from them tho. Pretty awesome depth problem to have.