Article Sizing Up The Syracuse Orange

• Highlight

Sizing Up The Syracuse Orange

NCAA Football: Pittsburgh at Syracuse
Syracuse Head Coach Dino Babers (Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports)

Believe it or not, the Syracuse Orange are now in year 5 under the reign of Head Coach Dino Babers.  And what a roller coaster it has been.

Sparked in 2018 by gritty senior quarterback Eric Dungey, who led the Orange to 10 wins and a trophy in the ACC’s 2nd slot bowl game (Camping World Bowl), the Babers’ regime has thus far failed to capitalize on the program’s early momentum.  Syracuse backfilled the 2018 campaign by putting an Elite 11 quarterback at the helm in 2019, Tommy DeVito.  Thus far, those accolades have failed to produce.

Offense

Babers has been known throughout his head coaching career as an offensive guru, starting with coaching Jimmy Garoppolo at Eastern Illinois. He followed with by replacing Dave Clawson, current Wake Forest head coach, at Bowling Green.  There he led the Falcons to a MAC championship in 2015 as part of a 10-win season where the offense produced 8 games of 40+ points. So far in 2020, Syracuse (0-2, 0-2) enters week 3 of its schedule in arguably the most dire position offensively that Babers has ever faced.

Through two games in 2020, DeVito has thrown for 144 yards total.  He has been sacked 14 times.  No, those sacks were not simply due to one bad game.  Both North Carolina and Pittsburgh tallied 7 sacks apiece.  The Syracuse offense has produced exactly one touchdown, and of course it came via the back-up quarterback who connected on play over the top for 69 yards against Pittsburgh. That play accounted for 69 of Syracuse’s 171 total yards for the game.

To make matters worse, the trying times on offense are only somewhat under Babers’ control.  Syracuse entered the preseason knowing its offensive line had razor thin depth.  Before the season started, the Orange lost starters at both guard positions as well as first-off-the-bench key reserves.  Adding to the depth disarray, the Orange lost its first and second string running back to opt-outs before game 1.

Common wisdom in baseball is that you are defined defensively by the strength up the middle (catcher, pitcher, second baseman, shortstop, center field).  In Syracuse terms, they’ve lost 2/3 of their middle from an already challenged personnel group.  As Georgia Tech experienced last year with its own injuries on the offensive line, an offensive coordinator cannot wave a magic wand to make things better.

Speaking of offensive coordinators, Syracuse has a new one in 2020 that will be familiar to Jackets’ fans.  The Orange brought in Sterlin Gilbert, previously the offensive coordinator at USF in 2017 and 2018.  In 2018, the USF Bulls racked up 35 points offensively en route to a 49-38 win over the Jackets in Tampa, FL.  Thus far, the early returns at Syracuse speak for itself, caveats previously noted.

Defense

If transition of scheme on offense wasn’t enough, Syracuse also transitioned to the 3-3-5 defense under new defensive coordinator, Tony White.  White coached defensive backs at Arizona State and was promoted to defensive coordinator in December before making the transition to Syracuse.  Thus far, the returns for the Orange have been surprisingly positive.

Despite the anemic Orange offense, Syracuse entered the 4th quarter of each of its first two games trailing within striking distance.  Against the Tar Heels on the road, the Orange trailed 10-6 entering the fourth.  Against the Panthers, the Orange trailed 21-10, the eventual final score.  Overall, not bad for a defense hung out to dry.

Given Georgia Tech’s turnover woes, it should be noted that the Orange’s best player on defense is junior safety Andre Cisco.  Simply put, Cisco is a ball hawk.  Somehow under the radar out of IMG Academy, Cisco managed to make national All-America teams his freshman year (not the freshman teams, mind you) after leading the NCAA with 7 interceptions.  He was All-ACC Second Team during his sophomore campaign in 2019.  He entered the 2020 season as the FBS Active Leader in interceptions (12) and #2 in passes defended per game (1.27). Thus far in 2020, he’s on the board with 1 pick off of Sam Howell.  He is everywhere on the field.

Special Teams

The Orange enter the game versus Georgia Tech with a decided advantage on special teams.  Based on what Georgia Tech has shown early that may not be saying much, however the comparison is most stark at the field goal kicking position.  Kicker Andre Szmyt, a former walk-on, was the 2018 Lou Groza award winner.  He is 50 for 58 for his career and has connected from over 50 in each of his first two full seasons.

The Orange also have a fairly dynamic punt returner this year in Nykeim Johnson.  At 5’ 8”, his low center of gravity and short area quickness makes him a threat to take it to the house.  He did just that against North Carolina, however the return was called back due to a blindside hit by the Orange return team that had no impact on the outcome of the play.

Keys To The Game

I’ll start by beating the familiar drum.  Turnovers and Special Teams.  If Georgia Tech can limit turnovers, I think the Jackets take this one.  Even with turnovers, it should be possible for Tech to stay in this via solid defensive play.

Of course, the injuries to the Syracuse OL has a doppelganger in Georgia Tech’s DL.  It could be argued that the Jackets will field the weakest defensive line that the Orange have faced thus far.  And you could say without argument that the Orange have a leg up on Special Teams, despite our absolute unit in Pressley Harvin (mandatory weekly shout-out).

Both Syracuse and Georgia Tech enter this game at inflection points.  Both schools, coaches and fanbases likely view this as a moment to keep the season on track.  If not, the result may lead to a spiral effect the other direction.  You never like to play a team with its back against the wall, particularly one playing at home for the first time this season. 

My prediction: Jackets 28-21.  The Jackets also need this win badly.  In the end the Syracuse offense likely remains mostly inept with few ways to overcome their issues in 7 days.  Assuming there is no starting quarterback change in Upstate NY, the Jackets will be facing a statue quarterback who generally runs only to keep defenses honest.  Because of this, even if Georgia Tech turns the ball over, it may require an opportunistic Orange defense to aid its team in the scoring column. 

Recognizing the Orange woes on offense, Collins and Patenaude can call a more conservative gameplan offensively, enabling Sims and the offense to regain its confidence and avoid the volume of unnecessary mistakes that doomed the Jackets this past Saturday. The Jackets will come back to Atlanta undefeated in ACC play and with an opportunity to use a bye week to rest up for its most daunting stretch of the season.

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
Thought about this a bit and I believe we win by 2 TDs or more.

a. We may have gotten a bit ahead of ourselves after beating a lackluster FSU team and got thumped by CF, so we come back mad and ready.

b. The roster depletion is similar, maybe in our favor. I think we have an edge.

c. I’m betting on Sims improving. Don’t see him in the “Reggie Ball” you are what you are after 4 years mold. This kid will learn and get better if he can stay healthy, ie don’t take on LBs for a living

d. We found a kicker.

e. We have better talent on both sides of the ball.

Other than having to travel to a state that’s a massive CF, there are no negatives.

GT wins- 38-17. The 500 yds we gain finally turn into points plus the D gives us a short field twice. No miracles yet in the Gold Zone as we still struggle to score but in 11 chances we get 5 TDs and a FG.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
If we didn't fumble constantly and could kick a FG, we would easily be double digit favorites. These things have been factored into the line, I am sure.
I would just like to SEE us play a (relatively) mistake free game. I can imagine that we COULD, but it may just be our inexperience at the QB and kicking game that is going to take more time. I am HOPING this will be the week !!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know that we will "win easily". I can understand that anyone watching those two games would come away with a sense of confidence gong up against the Orange. The two top running backs "opted out", their offensive line has a former tight end playing because of injuries, their quarterback is a statue, etc. That said, they are tenacious on defense running a 3-3-5 with multiple looks, they blitz a lot which may give up problems, and they have an outstanding safety and pretty good, rangy corners although Carter gets picked on a lot. Personally, if I were Coach Collins and Sims continued with the turnover binge I would take him out. We have to have this game or this season will spiral out of control. They are pretty much in the same boat so an air of desperation is warranted.
The starting guard you referenced is not a converted tight end. It's worse. He is a converted fullback. All 6', 284lb of him (and that's his listed height and weight).

The last time he played Offensive Line before Syracuse's mass injuries this year? 8th grade.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This is also the first game in the renovated Carrier Dome. Don’t know if that means anything but you never know
A little nugget of info. There is no official word on whether "Carrier Dome" is still or will continue to be the official name of the stadium. This transition - still in progress - is alleged to be enabled by the renovations completed this offseason.

Nunes Magician: ‘The Stadium?’ Syracuse gets vague about Dome name in release
SU athletics refer to the site of the game as “the stadium,” not as the Carrier Dome or “the Dome.”

Why is Syracuse doing this? In retrospect, the school signed one of the worst naming rights deals in sports history. In 1979, the Carrier Corporation paid Syracuse $2.75M total for naming rights IN PERPETUITY. Averaged over 40 years thus far, that is just shy of $70k/year to have crazy advertising value. It's estimated that Syracuse will command $2.75M+ PER YEAR if/when they can rename the stadium.

slugboy

Staff member
I'm sure Syracuse is surprised there isn't a new facility with new naming rights after 41 years have gone by

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Some on this board don't distinguish among there, their and they're, for instance. It makes me wonder how non-Techies view us when we don't demonstrate better usage of everyday language.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Unbiased? LOL!
WE are biased, are we not ?? Most us picked Tech to beat UCF last Saturday. They came in 14th ranked and played like it in their first game. Don't give me turnovers as an excuse. They put over 600 yds of offense up on us. We are going to be good. IMO, REAL GOOD. But it will take more time to CONSISTENTLY beat teams we are supposed to beat , plus some we aren't.

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Some on this board don't distinguish among there, their and they're, for instance. It makes me wonder how non-Techies view us when we don't demonstrate better usage of everyday language.

My grammar was never the best, unless it needed to be. When it matters (read, where it affects my paycheck or job), I am careful with speech and meticulous in writing . Here, I don't dwell on it as much so I will let some typo's, poor grammar, etc. slide.

ETA: fixed typo. seriously.:whistle::wtf:

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The starting guard you referenced is not a converted tight end. It's worse. He is a converted fullback. All 6', 284lb of him (and that's his listed height and weight).

The last time he played Offensive Line before Syracuse's mass injuries this year? 8th grade.

You are right, I picked that "tight end" thing up from another web site but a "fullback"? Smacks of major problems on the line. We know something about that don't we?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I understand what you're saying but commas don't worry me that much. What gets all over me is "Me and him went to the store".

I taught high school English (among other things) and see it all the time but refrain from commenting for fear of being labeled a "grammar nazi" or some such. A survey of English teachers around the country a few years ago found that the number one sticking point for them in regards to grammar was the incorrect use of apostrophes and the trouble people have with homonyms like "their", "they're", and "there". It is what it is. See now you have me doing it.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
My grammar was never the best, unless it needed to be. When it matters (read, where it affects my paycheck or job), I am careful with speech and meticulous in writing . Here, I don't dwell on it as much so I will let some typo's, poor grammar, etc. slide.

ETA: fixed typo. seriously.:whistle::wtf:

I told my students for years...be aware of your audience. If you are speaking with your friends, that is one thing but hold yourself to a higher standard in the workplace or in a job interview. Good grammar sometimes gets noticed...bad grammar always gets noticed.